Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday the 13th

Hey there, and happy Friday the 13th! One of my nieces was born on Friday the 13th, so around here we generally think of it as a lucky day. It certainly has started out well. Lots of sunshine today, and a full moon tonight.

Afternoon on the Porch is now a finished quilt! Check it out:


Okay, there are some odd shadows, but I got a picture of the whole thing. That's hard to do around here. I told my husband we need a deck with railings so that I can take quilt pictures a bit more easily, and he just looked at me. So I guess we're not getting a deck any time soon. Here's a picture that's a little more "artsy":


This one shows the quilting texture really well. It's a new pattern that my quilter just got, called "Bauhaus." I love how it looks on this quilt! And Diane did such a great job! I really appreciate her work. She makes me look good. (The original post on this quilt, including where to find the pattern, is HERE.)

The binding is a dark orange that doesn't appear anywhere in the quilt, but I think it really sets it off. Also, it's what I had on hand. It has definitely been chilly here (in the 50s! in June!), so it was a good time to curl up and stitch that binding. This finished at just about 60 by 70 and will go to my older daughter when we visit her later this summer. She originally gave me the fabric, so that's only fair. And this quilt suits her personality so well.

The other thing I have to show for this week is just this one green Odd Fellow's block for RSC14:


One more block and I am all caught up! I need to find a yellow that I like for this month's. I must use up all my yellows, because I really don't have a lot of yellow scraps, at least not enough to make a 12 inch block.

That was what I finished this week! This weekend I really have to go fabric shopping. Such a chore, I know. Seriously, I have been using fabric up at an alarming rate, and I need to replenish the batiks and get some backings.  Plus, I hear that there's a new quilt shop around here and it's only right that I go and support a local business. You should go out and do the same this weekend!

Happy Father's Day and lots of love to all the dads out there. I won't get to see my dad, but I will get to talk to him, and I'm pretty sure we'll have a conversation about home improvement projects. He's always up to something. Which I guess is a dad's job, after all.

Linking to the awesome Sarah and Amanda, and also to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Terri said...

Love your quilt.
I grew up in Waukesha county... graduated from Muskego High in '66.
Hugs

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love your 'Afternoon in the Park'! I would like one of those corner fences to photograph quilts but for now...I'm sticking with the old swing set. lol. I live in Waukesha county, too!

Frances Meredith said...

Using fabric at an alarming rate surely justifies the visit to the new shop. Have fun!

scraphappy said...

Great quilt -- and such a fun quilting pattern too. Always a good sign when you have used up enough fabric that you "need" to go shopping. Enjoy

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love both pics. The one with the shadows looks artistic and intentional. The other really shows the wonderful quilting.

Nell's Quilts said...

Love the quilt and the quilting pattern on is just suits the mood to a tee. Great work.

Unknown said...

Your quilt is lovely. I have the same pantograph and like to use it on more modern style quilts. It looks great.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

That quilting design really adds the WOW factor to your beautiful quilt! Your RSC block has such a pretty shade of green.

Paulette said...

Very cool quilt! The quilting really complements the bright colors and overall design. Greetings from an hour northwest of Waukesha!

Sheila said...

LOVE your quilt! And the quilting.