Friday, December 12, 2014

Put your feet up

Hello everyone! Today is a happy day--the last day of the fall semester! Okay, not officially, but it all gets a lot better from here. There is still grading to be done, but this one is just about in the archives. College kids should be arriving home any minute. Bet they'll need a nap!

With all the tumult this week, I only finished this little piece:

Cute, but remarkably hard to photograph!

This little seat is just an unfinished wood piece that I got from the big-box craft store, then painted white. The hexies are made from some scraps I had, then cut and hand-stitched together. I quilted the hexie piece to a muslin backing since that part wouldn't show.


I used almost the same upholstery technique I used on the little pressing station I made. I glued a small piece of 1/4 inch foam to the seat, then covered it with an extra piece of batting and stapled the batting to the bottom of the seat. Then I just tacked the quilted piece on, stretching as I went.


I am pretty happy with how it turned out, especially since there was very little time invested. This little footstool will live in our family room where there are a lot of yellow and blue quilts. It will fit right in.


Herbert seems to like it!

I also worked on the candy pieces row for the winter quilt. I decided to take Rachel's advice and use half-size spacers between the "candies." The math worked out okay; I just had to add one extra candy to make the row long enough.


It's about 4 inches by 58 inches, which makes it really hard to get a picture of the whole row. I promise that you'll be able to see it better once it is sewn to the rest of the quilt.



Everyone have a great weekend. There will be some Christmas shopping on my agenda, plus my local quilt shop is having its holiday open house. Sure to be festive all around!

Linking to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Amanda Jean at crazy mom quilts. Stop by and get inspired!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad I could help! It looks good and I'm glad the math worked out easily enough! Can't wait to see the next row. I really like your main sky fabric.

Anonymous said...

Yay you're on winter break! Enjoy the time off. Love the blue and yellow fabrics that you used on the foot stool. Really nice combination. Have fun Christmas shopping!

Sarah Craig said...

Cute foot stool, and congratulations on being on winter break! That's worth a whoop whoop all by itself!

JanineMarie said...

Cute stool. And, way to go with the solution to the spacing on the candy row, Rachel and Mari! It looks great. Have a wonderfully relaxing break.