Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Framed!

Hi all, and welcome to the last day of March! We're already having some April showers, so flowers and green grass can't be too far behind. It was raining against the windows on Sunday and I couldn't identify the sound. I thought it might be an animal scratching at the window, but no--just unfrozen water falling from the sky. It's been a long time!

In the sewing room so far this week, I've been playing with the sawtooth stars that have crumb centers. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them now that I've made three of them. A plain sawtooth star quilt doesn't really appeal to me, so I came up with this:


This could work!

The frame around the sawtooth star block is adapted from the Moda Love pattern, available HERE in 3 sizes (pdf).  Using this pattern as a frame is not a completely original idea. There is a group at my local quilt shop doing something very similar, but I am using smaller pieces so it fits my block. (I also used this pattern before to make something completely different. See HERE.)

Here is the yellow block:


These blocks are 24 by 24 each. I don't know if I'll use any sashing or anything yet, but this is a great size to make up a nice-sized lap quilt. And I like that they're different and not the same old thing. I think it's going to look good!

I still have to make the frame for the blue block. I didn't have a blue that I liked with the block, so I'll have to go get something in medium blue. What a hardship, I know.

Short post, but I hope you have a great, creative sewing week. Since this is Holy Week for western Christians, we have a few days off later in the week. I think we may try to work outside for the first time this year. Just cleanup, but it's something!

Happy sewing!

Linking to Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social and WIP Wednesday, and also Angela at soscrappy.

19 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

These are SO pretty!

Kat Scribner said...

Wonderful blocks! These will make a fabulous quilt.

Sandra Walker said...

Pretty quilt blocks! So Easter in colouring! Smiled at your "unfrozen water falling from the sky" comment. I went to the link to this pattern and discovered I already have downloaded it and saved it in my Quilting folder...gotta investigate the stuff in there more often, as I think this would make a great charity quilt for the Hands 2 Help!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Fun blocks!

Hollie @ Just a Mom who Sews said...

The boarder really sets the sawtooth stars off, in a good way. ;) I'm sure it they will make a springy looking quilt. Sooo ready for spring!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I love these blocks! Just one would be pretty as a mini in your sewing room. Really like these a lot Mari!

lalaluu said...

Love those scrappy middles! Hope you have good weather for your outside activities!

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

It definitely works!! They are gorgeous!!

Afton Warrick said...

It sounds like you are really onto something here. The blocks look great. It's neat that you pulled from a pattern you've used before, and taken it in an entirely different direction.

Afton Warrick said...

It sounds like you are really onto something here. The blocks look great. It's neat that you pulled from a pattern you've used before, and taken it in an entirely different direction.

dq said...

Framed is a lovely idea! I would not have otherwise looked at it as a frame.

Scrappy quilter said...

I love them. The Sawtooth Star looks so different when placed like this. Great job on the creativity!

scraphappy said...

What a great frame for your star block. Such a nice way to have more impact with fewer blocks.

Angie said...

Great frame idea!

Sue SA said...

Wow, fantastic block idea. I never liked crumb blocks, but here in the centre of the star they really shine...no pun intended! And a great way to use up some stash, bonus!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Great blocks!

LA Paylor said...

these are so dynamic! I like that they are big... even set next to each other they will be a big lap quilt. LeeAnna

Deb A said...

What a great frame for the block. I must remember that!

Dasha said...

I love what you have done with the Sawtooth Stars. The stars on their own are nice, but the addition of the border is just fantastic.