Today I have to share a little problem I'm having. First, though, a pretty picture for the top of the blog:
Okay, maybe not so pretty but at least it's not a mess. It was raining when I took this, but I think that makes it look extra bright and happy. This is the first row of a new quilt, and here's how I got to it. It all started with this mess:
This is not even close to being all of my scraps, most of which made it to the condo with us. I have at least one more big white bag and a smaller clear bag, also stuffed full. When we had the house, I had these all nicely sorted by color and type--solids over here, batiks here, prints there--in their very own boxes, all nicely stacked. It didn't look like quite so much then. Well, that system wouldn't work here because there is just not enough storage space. (Really, I'll be thankful for closets forever.) So the boxes are in storage, but I pulled out the fabrics and brought them with me.
Folks, this is just overwhelming me. I have too much! All the space that is taken up by the scraps means that I have no room for yardage. And I really want some yardage!
Anyway, I have to use these up and clear them out, so I've started cutting them up into manageable pieces and I have a couple of patterns in mind for them. First, there is this one:
This is a pattern by mamaCJT, and I got it at Patched Works a long time ago. (Pretty sure they still have some in stock.) She shows it all in a single solid, but why does it have to be done that way? It doesn't! So I've pulled out some of the bigger pieces to make rows and put them together into a cute little quilt.
I've also been cutting pieces into 1-1/2, 2-inch, and 2-1/2 inch squares. There are tons of patterns for squares this size. There may be a Bonnie Hunter quilt in my near future, but for now I've chosen this one from Wedding Dress Blue.
It looks simple enough that even I can't mess it up, and the directions are really good, so I grabbed some 2-inch squares and started putting them together:
So far it's mainly stress-free, but we'll see as we go on. I have a couple of other ideas, and I even thought about cutting some of the bigger pieces into triangles and making an all-triangle quilt, but after working on the Roman Floors quilt for a while now I'm pretty tired of triangles.
|Put them all in a bowl and toss like a salad!|
That's it from here! Let's see how much progress I make this week. Pretty sure I'll be cutting like a crazy person. And if anyone has any good suggestions for patterns for using up those scraps (or the vast majority of them), be sure to let me know!
Sharing at Let's Bee Social, and WIP Wednesday.