Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Not a lot of sunshine

So far, this has not been a great week for me.  The whole world appears to have gone mad, we made an offer on a house and couldn't come to terms with the sellers, and as I sat down to write this post my daughter called in tears to tell us that she has to put one of her cats to sleep.  She's heartbroken!  And I'm heartbroken for her!

Best to turn off the TV and just sit down and pet some fabric or something.  Still working on the tiny squares quilt, and look what I've got here: 


A red block!  I didn't really know that there would be enough squares for this one, because I seldom use red, but there definitely were.  This is the 16th block for this quilt, so it's time to put the sashing on all the rest and see how the layout goes.  Also, I'm happy to say that the freezer paper has held up through all 16 blocks.  Win!

In other quilt-related news, Val over at Val's Quilting Studio had a piggy bank challenge where you saved your change for the year and then counted it up and had a nice nest egg to spend on something quilty.  I didn't sign up or anything, but I did save my change for the year.  I ended up with $104.25!  How great is that?  I spent some of it on this:



Quilty software!  This is the software version of Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia, and it is awesome.  I've been playing with it and finding all sorts of things.  I know there will be several quilts coming from this purchase.  I still like paging through the book, but this is great. Plus I had money left over and now I get to buy some more fabric!

So I guess there are some things to feel good about after all.  But the world has still gone crazy.  Anybody want to join me in a quilt fort?  I'll be the one obsessing over the real estate listings.

Hope you all are having a better week! I promise to be happier next time!  I'm ending with a picture of Athena.  Thank you kitty--you were great. We will all miss you.



Sharing at Let's Bee Social. 

12 comments:

Bernie Kringel said...

Oh Mari, what a yukky time you are having. I'm so sorry about the kitty. It is the worst when one of the kids is upset and you can't go and support them. Poor thing.

Keep on reading the real estate listings. You will find the perfect place for both of you. Hang in there. Hope things look up soon.

Sew Much For Free Time said...

Awww, boo! I'm sorry the house fell through. I am sure the right one is just around the corner, though. I hope things start looking up. Need me to send some Culver's?

Jo said...

Sorry to hear about the house. It is a trying time. I'll be glad when it's over.

tink's mom said...

So sorry to hear about your daughters kitty. It is so hard to loose those fluffy members of the family who do nothing but give love.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

So sorry you're going through such a rough time. I hope some quilting therapy helps a little.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Quilting therapy is always the answer to tough times! So sorry to hear about the house, and your daughter's kitty. Keep stitching those tiny pieces. I think that quilt is going to be amazing!

claudia said...

Ah yes, this week has been trying to say the least! At least there are quite of few of us feeling the same way, so we can commiserate with each other!
I sympathize with your daughter! I just lost my absolute favorite cat to a hawk or eagle. I doubt I will get any more cats (even though I love them so much) because of the inherent dangers for cats and small dogs where I live. I am trying to get my sewing room together, so I need to dive myself headlong into organizing. I think that will help stay away from all the stuff on TV and keep me focused on positive things!
I hope that things turn around for you and all the rest of us soon!

Rachel said...

Sending hugs your way! A quilt fort sounds like fun. I'll bring brownies. :)

JanineMarie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your woes this week, Mari. It's so hard to see our children hurt, isn't it? And housing issues--oh no! I hope that someday (soon) you will be able to look back and say you were glad that the deal fell through because you found the perfect place for you. Meanwhile, keep on quilting, and congrats on that big savings that you could use for something special. I know you'll put those patterns to great use.

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love your red block! My favourite colour! Love your EQ purchase, and money left over who hoo.

KaHolly said...

Oh, poor kitty! That's why I don't have one anymore. When I lost the last one, it ripped my heart out. I just couldn't go through that again! Sorry you didn't get your house. A better one will come along, just wait and see! XO

the zen quilter said...

Isn't it amazing how being creative can change your mood? That's only one of the myriad things I love about quilting. I hope next week is much, much better. Oh and as for the house - my attitude towards that is to say that it wasn't meant to be, and something even more perfect is around the corner for you.