Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Another quilt on the wall

Hi all! The spring semester starts today, and I don't know about where you are, but it still feels like winter around here.  It's not super-cold, but just cold enough to bother a person.  They really need to change the terminology for the semesters, don't you think?

So, I'm continuing in my quest to clear out some unfinished projects and free up some physical--and mental--space.  I feel like I get this impulse every January and I figure I'd better act on it before it goes away. Some of these projects I must've gotten tired of working on, some didn't work out like I wanted, and some of them have needed a time out.  I finished the border on the last project I pulled out so it's time to pull out another before I lose momentum. (Yay me! Details and pictures coming Friday!) This time, I chose this one:


I know, it isn't Christmastime any more, but it's time to deal with this problem child.  I've tried to finish this one several times, but I just haven't.  It's come in and out of the closet several times. There's a lot of reasons for this, but nothing I really want to talk about.  I've had a lot of plans for it, but now I just want it done. 


I didn't make a single one of these blocks.  These are from a swap that I participated in a few years back with some friends.  (The pattern is available free from Victoriana Quilt Designs, which can be found HERE.)  There are a lot of fun fabrics in the blocks and some of them are really nice. The pattern is pretty tricky and each of the blocks took a long time to make, so it just seems wrong to let it linger or throw them out.

So, here's the new plan for this quilt:  I'm planning to put it together just as it is on the design wall, then quilt it very simply with some organic lines or maybe a crosshatch.  I even have the backing fabric already:


Isn't that a cool fabric?  I must've gotten it on sale at some point, because I wouldn't ordinarily buy Christmas fabric.  I plan to use these red scrap ends (and maybe the black if I have to fill it out) for the binding:


That is pretty much my entire stash of Christmas fabric. Why am I quilting it myself?  Well, there's a snag in the pattern-- it calls for 3-D flying geese:


We all made the blocks just as the pattern called for, so every block has loose edges. All of those edges would snag on a longarm and I'm not taking the time to applique them all down.  I just want this done, so I'm giving myself two weeks to get it together and at least start quilting it.  After that, I'm either giving it away or throwing it out.  (We all know I won't throw it out, right?) 

Okay, so now that I have a plan, I'd better get on it!  Hope you all are having a good week.  And if you are like me and get in the mood to clean out every now and then, last year I did a series on cleaning out the sewing room and sorting stuff, which you can find on a tab at the top of the page (or HERE if you can't get to the tabs.)  Hope it's helpful!

Sharing at Linky Tuesday and Let's Bee Social.

15 comments:

Danice G said...

So colorful and pretty Mari. I love it!

PugMom said...

Hi Mari
Don't worry about the 3-D blocks. Several years ago Marion did a quilt that had dimensional blocks and the machine quilter just quilted them down without a problem. Hugs to you and LarryMan!
Nancy

Vicki in MN said...

I know your feeling, in, out, in, out-I have one of those 2. It only needs a bit of quiltling ripped out and then move onto a better quilting design and get it out of the closet and out of the house. Wishing you luck in doing that with yours.

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes I know exactly how this kind of project goes! Hope it sees some progress on it's outing from the UFO closet!

Bernie Kringel said...

This will be a cute holiday quilt and I am sure you can make someone very happy with it. Nice to check some of these off your list, I am sure!

Preeti said...

I am sure that now you have put your mind to it and shared it on the blog, it will get done. And you will be way ahead of the curve for Christmas in July projects.
I have a few UFOs too but my lips are sealed. Cleaning? Oh come on, cleaning his overrated. Honestly, I am too busy to clean :-p

Louise said...

Ah, purge quilting. I know it well. The urge to "get it done and move along" can be strong when it strikes.

This is an interesting and dynamic piece! I had to look twice to see that it's holiday fabrics, since the overall colors just read bright and happy because of all the blues. I hope you like it more when it's finished and then love it when you pull it out in December :)

piecefulwendy said...

I think this must be the year to get UFOs done, there are so many of us tackling our stacks! Either you'll like this better when you're done quilting it, or it will make someone else very happy. I have a few that I keep pulling out, pondering over, and then putting back. Sooner or later, they've got to get done!

KaHolly said...

It’s a fun quilt to look at! Good luck finishing it up!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love those blocks! They are very unique. I, too, have a Christmas UFO languishing for a variety of reasons that I had all kinds of ideas for, and now just want to finish it and move on. Good for you!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to make a really nice Christmas quilt! The 3-D geese provide added interest. Have fun with the quilting!!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Oh, a Christmas quilt that looks like it is full on suns raining sunshine, it will be wonderful. Good Luck with the 3D geese, I'm sure it will be all worth it in the end.

JanineMarie said...

What a unique design. I did not notice that it was Christmas themed at first because of the vivid blue in there. It’s a plus, I think, that you have the fabric available for the back. That bodes well for making this UFO into a way early finish this year.

saroy said...

This is lovely! I like how it's a Christmas quilt without totally screaming CHRISTMAS. :)

Nancy said...

I can't begin to tell you how wonderful I think this quilt is. It's spectacular! I didn't recognize it as a Christmas quilt until I saw the close-up photo. It IS a complicated pattern and probably one I wouldn't challenge myself to try (at least not yet), which makes it all the more amazing to me. I hope you love it by the time you finish it.