Friday, February 15, 2019

Pets need quilt love too

Wow, what a wild week!  Snow, freezing rain, melting, sunshine, and then rain again.  Oh, and then Valentine's Day, too.  The hubs and I have been married for so long that we're very low-key about Valentine's, but I did make him some baked goods and we had a nice dinner.  There may have been some wine. And I finished my big work project on time, so even though it's raining again I'm feeling pretty happy.

There's a story behind today's finish, but let's have a pretty picture first:


Pretty cute!  And here's the story--

A few weeks ago, my older daughter, who has two cats and does not sew, emailed me, "Cat quilts are a REAL THING.  Yellow and gray for (white cat), something dark for (gray cat)."  She included a link to THIS page. If you click over to that link, it will take you to Lynne Tyler's blog and the very touching story of how she made literally hundreds of quilts for pets to raise money for treatment for her cat Gizzy.  It all began 11 years ago, but it's what got Lynne back into quilting, which has led to the amazing quilts she makes today.  And if you're a pet lover, the story will definitely touch your heart. (Be sure to click over from Lynne's post and read the rest of the story, too.)


So, I guess I had my marching orders! Actually, I didn't mind making these because a.) they used up a bunch of pieces I had no other use for, and b.) I love my daughter! So, small quilts for the cats it was. 


These are each about 24 inches square and were very simple to make.  I just used 2-1/2 inch strips and did them quilt-as-you-go style.  Sorry that I have no process photos, but they were so easy and went so fast that I didn't think to stop and take pictures.  I used a light Pellon fleece in the middle instead of cotton batting and they stitched just fine. The bindings are scrappy pieces.  Happy to have those all put to good use.


For those of you who have wondered about the effect of pinked edges, they gray pieces were cut from my own scraps, and the strips in the other quilt came from a jelly roll that was gifted to me. A cat jelly roll, so it was perfect! The jelly roll had pinked edges and that quilt finished almost half an inch smaller all around than the gray quilt, even though I stitched from the peaks of the pinking. So you do lose something from the pinked edges, even when you're careful.  It might be better if you were matching a pinked edge to a cut edge, but here I was matching the pinked edges to each other.

And because you'll want to know, the cats loved their Gizzy quilts! I don't know how, but apparently they knew which of the quilts were theirs, though one kitty prefers the back of her quilt to the front:


And a little later, of course:


Oh, to have a life where an afternoon snooze was a regular possibility!  I'm going to say that these little Gizzy quilts were really successful and will be used and loved for a long time.  True fact-- I am allergic to cats (and dogs), so I have to experience pets vicariously through the pictures my kids send me.  This photo definitely warms my heart!

Hope everyone has a weekend as relaxing as my grand-cats daily lives. They certainly seem to have the right idea-- grab a quilt and get nice and cozy!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Finished or Not Friday, and Oh Scrap!

17 comments:

Preeti said...

Loads of scrappy goodness here. Those cats are so regal in their bearing and you made them feel special, I am sure. Not they will ever acknowledge - snooty little felines!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Of course your daughter's cats need their own quilts! Those are so much fun! My quilt group met yesterday at a friend's house who has a cat, and when we would lay out our show and tell projects, the cat burrowed right under them. I love seeing how cats act around quilts!

PaulaB quilts said...

Such sweet cats! About pinked edges, I’ve had two sets of charm packs from different makers both with pinked edges. On one set the pinking was fine and the charms were slightly smaller. The other set had larger pinking and the size was bigger also. Fortunately I was not worried about being exact. It’s something you have to measure for each one I guess.

piecefulwendy said...

Two cute little projects for two cute kitties. I've had the same experience with pinked edges, with varying sizes.

Laura said...

So sweet! Those beautiful cats are happy campers! Making a kitty quilt for my cat is on my to-do list!

Gram999 said...

I follow Lynne’s blog and read her story about making Gizzy quilts. I make little quilts for animal shelters. They have to be a certain size. But it’s fun and a good way to practice FMqing. I’ve been following your blog since you made the blue quilt with the stars. I haven’t made it, but it was an inspiration on one I made for a grandson. Thank you both for taking the time to share with others.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it!! those cats loved them right away too!

Millie said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! It was a a lot of fun. Yes. Cats love their quilts.

Lynne (Millie is the cat)

Louise said...

Aw, so cute! Great job on those little quilts. They definitely passed inspection :)

Frog Quilter said...

Lovely pet quilts. I have nomads many for my cats and a bunch for the animal hospital in town.

Danice G said...

What a wonderful story. A perfect reason to quilt. Both little quilts are pretty. Being small, they are probably kinda fast projects too.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! I, too, am allergic to both cats and dogs. I even follow a few blogs just for the pet picture posts! These cat quilts are just perfect and what a great use for some stash busting. I'm glad DD knew who to call - who ya gonna call - MOM! ~smile~ Roseanne

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the link! I learned something about Lynne that I didn't know. SEW glad that your grand-cats love their new Gizzy Quilts!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Scraps are a great way to make quilts for our pets. They need quilty hugs too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm allergic to cats too, and now have two grand kitties. My daughter hasn't asked so I will just hope she doesn't see this blog post!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing Grizzie's story. Your little cat quilts are great. Hum, I want to make some 36" square quilts so these are great inspiration. Thanks.

Jenny said...

LOvely Gizzie quilts for your daughter's cats. And many thanks for sharing the story of the original cat quilts, and the maaker. What an inspiring lady she is.