Friday, May 3, 2019

Squarely quilted

Hi all, and happy May weekend! I hope you are all doing really well and enjoying the spring. Unbelievably, the weather here has been terrific, so much so that I managed to get some great pictures of today's finished project.  And I've been working outside every day this week, though I did stop yesterday when I saw a snake in the pachysandra.  That's the one thing I genuinely despise about this area-- snakes. They just creep me out completely.  Although we have a creek in the backyard, so I don't know what I was expecting.

Not to worry, no snakes came anywhere near today's project! Here is a really lovely picture taken in the park in the sunshine:


Yes, my Squared Away quilt is finally quilted and bound and super cozy! If you recall, this is the quilt that came from last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge project that Angela and I designed.  (You can still find all the patterns HERE and HERE.) I just love how this quilt turned out.

Oooh, artsy! Not artificial light, just the sun through the trees.

This was quilted by Alycia of Quiltygirl Quilts, and she did a great job with it.  I had a bunch of ideas, and she took them and ran with them. I think the collaboration turned out great.  Look at all the circles she quilted in:


Aren't those awesome? They must have been fun to do, and a great choice for a quilt made of squares.  And the design in the setting triangles is fantastic, too:


As you can see, I used a medium green for the binding.  My original idea was to use a scrappy binding, but it just wasn't looking good.  I also intended to do a machine binding, but hand stitching this to the back was really relaxing and I really needed that.  If you remember, earlier I had switched out the setting triangles and taken off the borders, so all in all this was a demanding quilt!


So there's the end to last year's RSC quilt sampler project! This one is definitely staying with me, as my kids have made off with the ones from previous years. I think I deserve to keep this one, don't you? 

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! We're finally going to see the Avengers movie, which I hear is really good.  Then there's some more stressful stuff to do, but we'll talk about that later!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF, Finished or Not Friday, and soscrappy for RSC19.

25 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

Love the on point setting and low volume sashing and setting triangles....beautiful finish

piecefulwendy said...

What a pretty quilt, perfect for this time of year. The snake would've creeped me out too; yuck. Glad you had some quilty fun in the midst of your stressful season!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

snakes are something that make me pause and look around for sure do not really care for them! lovely quilt

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Squared Away finish is just beautiful, Mari! I love that speckly yellow you used for the setting triangles and the green binding, too. You should definitely keep it! I was just napping under my version of Squared Away the other day - they are perfect for that purpose! :)

Jayne said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love this time of the year when it's finally warm enough to be outside! It does bring a lot of yard work and while I complain to some degree about it...I love it! The quilting is amazing! The circles are so so good!

grammajudyb said...

I love seeing your Squared Away quilt all done up! It’s just wonderful,

Louise said...

So lovely! The cream setting triangles work really well with the white sashing, an unexpected combo. Congrats on the super finish, Mari :0

Betty C said...

Excellent work. I also like the cream triangles.

Laura said...

The quilt looks great...love the variety and texture of the quilting!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It looks so springy and sunshiny! Its a beautiful quilt!

Preeti said...

Mari, that is a fabulous accomplishment and one heck of a way to welcome Spring with all its balmy weather and sunny days. Love the on-point layout and the quilting is just perfect. of course, this one belongs to you.
Pachysandra sounds like a baby elephant's name. Sorry about the snakes. Are you coming to the quilt show?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your completed Squared Away quilt. It was a wonderful adventure seeing this quilt come together. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make next!

Rose said...

I'm glad you got this one finished. I don't know what to do with myself with not a lot of reading to do. I so enjoyed it.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very colorful and pretty quilt! Do not blame you for keeping it!!!!

LA Paylor said...

hooray for nice weather. Maybe things will dry out a little? Do you have massive mushrooms?
Beautiful quiilting Mari

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! Oh this turned out just great - what a fabulous finished for the beginning of May. I just LOVE how this is quilted. Those interlocking circles . . . so very cool. I have some circle rulers and I can never think of how or what to use them on. And the triangles in the triangle piece is COOL too. Really nice job Alycia - to both of you really!! Happy Saturday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

Quiltdivajulie said...

Simply beautiful and YES you need to keep this one for yourself.

Jenny said...

Ugh, snakes, not nice at all. Not that I've ever had much to do with them, there are no snakes, thank goodness, down here in New Zealand. Your quilt is beautiful, congratulations.

Katie Z. said...

Ooh, la la!

Jo said...

I was cleaning my room today and came across the blocks I had already made. Love the finished quilt.

Angie said...

Great finish, and Alycia's quilting was a great way to tie everything together!

Sandra Walker said...

Absolutely love seeing this all finished and ready for snugging under, and oh yes, you deserve to keep it. Too funny; my daughter claimed my 2018 RSC quilt, as your kids do too! :-)

scraphappy said...

You should definitely keep this one. It turned out beautifully! The quilting really adds a lot to the finished quilt.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

I'm loving your quilt and the gorgeous sunny photos. But a snake! Have I to watch out for snakes on my next visit? I will need a big stick with me at this rate!

Kate said...

Congrats on a fun finish! I really enjoyed that project last year.