Friday, June 28, 2019

Summer florals

Hi all!  Is it unbearably hot at your house? Right now my handy dandy weather station says that it's 96 degrees. That's a bit extreme, don't you think? It's supposed to rain tomorrow and break the heat, and for once I'll be thrilled to see rain around here.  In our ongoing housing saga, we think we've found another house. Hurray! Send all your good thoughts that they accept our offer.  Every finger I have is crossed!

So, if you remember, I somehow packed my favorite quarter inch foot when I was packing up the sewing room.  That was a dumb move! I finally gave in and bought a new one, and then I had to test it out to be sure I liked the seam it gave.  Everyone has to do that, right?  Well, one thing led to another and I ended up with this:


That's a lovely little test piece, don't you think?  Obviously I had a lot of sewing mojo built up because I just kept stitching, and it was such a joy. 


This took just a couple of afternoons when no one was scheduled to tour the house.  I admit that I didn't draw lines on all of those little squares, so some of the corners are a little bit "organic."  I love them anyway, and we all know that real flowers aren't perfect, so I refuse to let myself feel bad about it at all.


This whole piece is made from scraps. For the flowers, I sorted through my box of 2-1/2 inch squares and just chose the first nine that had four matching squares.  The leaves all came from the 2-1/2 inch squares box, too. The flower centers came from the 1-1/2 inch square box, though they had to be trimmed down just a bit. The lavender sashing was in the string jar, which is sitting out and acting decorative in one of the bedrooms.


I actually had a pattern for this, though I didn't really need it once I got going.  It's from Quilt Sampler magazine from. . . Spring 2012.  Yeah, it took that long.  But it was worth the wait!


I plan to quilt this up and use it on the table just as soon as there is time to set up the machine for an hour or two again. It looks great already, but I think it will look even better with a simple crosshatch.  I think I have a scrap binding that's big enough if I can locate the ziplock bag I put those in. Pretty sure I know where it is, though, which is a good thing because I don't know where half my clothes are right now.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend that is nice and cool.  We will have all of our fingers crossed, plus we have three showings and then an open house, so we'll be busy.  Send many good thoughts!


It's still Friday, so I'm sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Finished or not Friday, as well as Alycia's TGIFF and Cynthia's Oh Scrap!

22 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

cute quilt! it is hot here too but I hear there is a heat wave out your way and across a lot of the upper tier of states - we are usually hot and humid the whole summer.

Libby in TN said...

Sure hope the house deal goes through this time. Having recently been through that exercise,I can relate. Love your little quilt.

Rose said...

Many good thoughts coming your way!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mari, that is so cute and summery! It does look like something fun to make just when you needed to sew! Our weather station said 101 this afternoon - and last Friday, I think our high temp was 50... June has been a crazy month here in Colorado, obviously! Hope you have a productive weekend, with house showings and all, and fingers crossed for that new house, too!

Miaismine said...

What a lovely, summery quilt! I usually follow a pattern for quilting, but I can "freestyle" with crochet. Your "freestyle" quilt is lovely - and organic is beautiful! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful finish!

Jo said...

That's a lovely cute topper.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my, that’s the prettiest little 'test' and will be adorable on a table once it’s finished. I’m saving this post to remember this little beauty! Fingers crossed for your house!

scraphappy said...

I'm amazed that you have time and energy to sew with everything that is going on. Such a sweet little pattern. The leaves around the outside border are just perfect. Good thoughts coming your way on the offer. Hopefully it will work out and you can be on the move quickly to get settled before school starts.

Laura said...

I love the sweet little table topper! What a wonderful stress reliever for you! :)

piecefulwendy said...

That little quilt is just darling, and those little flowers will never need watering but always be lovely! I'll be praying for the offer on the house for you. We are heading into the high 90's today too, so I'm heading to my quilt room and staying in.

Vicki in MN said...

The perfect little project while you are in limbo in the housing situation.Love the photo surrounded by your flower pots.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending truckloads of good wishes -- so happy you had a chance to sew up this pretty little top!!

Louise said...

What a sweet little table topper! I'm glad you were able to enjoy some stitching time and that this is a harbinger of good housing news :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt. I packed up my new 1/4" foot when I was going to teach a mug rug class, and haven't been able to find it since (Feb). I finally ordered a new one.

PaintedThread said...

What a cute little quilt. Good luck with the house!

JanineMarie said...

This is so pretty, Mari, I think you should leave it out for your open house. Maybe it will attract a quilter to buy your house!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That little table topper is SEW darling!! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you decide to do for the quilting. Sending good thoughts for your house offer to be accepted!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is very cute!! and makes me think that it should be cooler! We got the heat this week too - and quite frankly.... it makes my flowers wilt. Glad you got some stitching time in! What a cute one!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a cute little piece. I really like that soft lavender inner border - I will have to remember that. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sharon said...

Really cute! and such simple blocks...love it!

Verveine&Lin said...

J'aime beaucoup votre petit tapis de fleurs ! Je crois que je prendrai votre idée avec des fleurs plus grandes pour coudre une courtepointe de bébé !

QuiltGranma said...

really cute table topper center piece! Should help sell the house, with all the good healthy crafting vibes!