Friday, July 26, 2019

Fun with voiles

Hi everyone!  Well, the heat has finally broken, at least where we are, and it's much more comfortable now, though those were some powerful storms that ended it.  Good thing it's done for now, because the anxiety is definitely on the rise as we get closer and closer to moving.  There are too many details, and I'm getting pretty tense.  It all goes okay in the end,  I know, but getting there can be no fun at all.

From time to time I make things that are not quilts, and this is one of those times.  I'm starting a new teaching position in a couple of weeks, and that calls for something new and festive for those first few days. And face it, it's just fun to have new things sometimes too.  Here's what I made:


Yep, a couple of pretty scarves! I made these from two pieces of the cotton voiles that are everywhere now.  The fabrics are really pretty, but they're definitely too thin to use in a quilt. They make really nice, soft scarves, though!


I made the blue infinity scarf from a very pretty piece of voile from Bari J called Birds and Branches that I got from my friend Bernie's shop. This scarf was super easy, using THIS tutorial from Melly Sews.  The length and the width turned out to be very big, at least to me, so I ended up cutting about 10 inches off the length and about five inches from the width to make it fit me a lot better.  Even with the adjustments, this literally took me about an hour to stitch, plus maybe 10 minutes of hand sewing to close up the final seam.

You would think that the infinity scarf would be more complicated and take longer than a simple straight scarf, but no, the orange one took longer, mainly because I hemmed the sides.  This voile is called Firefly Tang by Jeni Baker and the photos don't do it justice.  It's a lovely orange that's not really bright or flashy and the fabric itself is very soft.  I had thought about making a tank top from it because it's so pretty, but it's just too sheer for me to be comfortable wearing it.  Perfect for scarves, though!


I cut the orange scarf 12 inches wide and made it about 72 inches long.  I hemmed the sides with a very narrow hem and then did a small zigzag about an inch from the ends and pulled threads to fray the ends just a bit.  This was actually the hardest part because it just didn't want to fray, which is a good thing in fabric but not great when you actually want it to come apart. 

The dresses are identical styles from Lands End. I have this dress in five colors and wear it all the time. Super comfortable!

And just like that, I now have two new festive accessories to wear this fall! They were easy to make and will dress up my plain solid boring clothes.  I love the fabrics, too, and I'm glad I got to use those thin fabrics for something useful.  So a very successful small project, I'd say!

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and that it's not too terribly hot where you are.  Ice cream always cools me off-- just sayin'!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Finished or Not Friday, and TGIFF.

11 comments:

KaHolly said...

You’ll be the belle of the ball! These are so fresh and pretty. What will your new teaching position be? New house, new job! Wow! Big changes, new adventures. I’m kind of envious!

Laura said...

What pretty scarves!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice - I especially like the blue scarf - you sound like me and T-shirts - if I like a style I buy four in different colors LOL

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I get the anxiety and stress that goes with the transition to a new home, etc. Hope it all goes well! Has your house sold yet? I've been gone and might have missed a post. Your two scarves are just lovely, and perfect for starting something new! It's fun to stitch up something different now and then, and the scarves are perfect!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mari, those are pretty! They look like the perfect accessory for your dresses. I've never sewn with voile - does your sewing machine act any differently with it than with quilting cotton? Glad it's cooled off where you are - have a great weekend!

Bernie Kringel said...

What beautiful scarves Mari - They will be so nice with those dresses and also with jeans and a simple t-shirt. Great idea. Lots and lots of people quilt with voiles to make really lightweight, soft quilts. But yes, they are thin. Funny about the difficulty in fraying the edges. AGF fabric is known for its minimal fray but here was a time you actually wanted it to fray.

Love the dresses - Lands End is a great company. Hang in there - soon you will be moved in and much more settled.

Preeti said...

I can picture you wearing these lovely scarves - looking so cool, chic and put together!!! Good Morning Professor!!!

LA Paylor said...

how fresh an pretty!!! How exciting to start a new job, and have new clothes both.
Leeanna

Kate said...

Very pretty! It's always fun to start off with something pretty, it ups the confidence I find.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

very nice. I do like an infinity scarf . I do get tangled sometimes. I put my seat belt through rather than around, and my over the shoulder bag gets in a whole tangle .

The Joyful Quilter said...

What beautiful new scarves!! Thanks for linking the pattern.