Monday, April 14, 2014

4-patch finish

So, it is snowing here at the Academic Quilter.  Not a huge surprise, since it is Wisconsin, but it's disheartening.  It was 60 degrees just 2 days ago! Bring back spring!

I finally finished the colorful 4-patch top I've been working on.  Here it is:


I promise that it's all properly squared up, even though it doesn't look that way in the picture.  The way this turned out is a complete surprise to me. Not exactly what I had in my head, but it works well enough.  The black fabric was very stretchy, even the straight pieces.  You expect the bias triangles to be stretchy, but not the pieces cut on the straight grain. Lots of Magic Sizing in this piece. It was somewhat frustrating, but now it's all over but the quilting.  And one more UFO down!

This is about 39 by 52, so I think I'll quilt it myself on my machine.  I usually send bigger things to a longarmer, but this looks manageable enough to handle.  I'm thinking a nice colorful flannel for the backing, but that could just be the weather talking.

Hope someone somewhere is enjoying some sunshine! It will stop snowing at some point, right?


3 comments:

PaintedThread said...

The quilt is very springy, even if you're stuck with snow.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Beautiful quilt! Very sunny here. . . bracing for our first 100 degree day. Yay.... Not :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt with perfect spring colors! Hope your snow is done by now! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday