Friday, July 1, 2016

I've been Framed!

Hi everyone! (waving wildly)  I have some new construction to show off today. "New construction" as in a finished "house"--  I've finished the Framed quilt top at last! I was really determined to get this out of the project box and ready to quilt up.  It's waited long enough. Here is the finished product:



Happy dancing over this way!  I am calling this quilt Framed, as I have for a while now, because really--what else could I call it?  This was one of my projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge last year.  The centers of the stars are crumbs, and the stars are set in larger frames made of different fabrics in the same color.  Almost everything in this quilt was a scrap or a leftover hunk, including the white-on-whites.  The only "new" fabric is the orange frame, which I cut out of a larger piece I haven't used yet, and one yard of a single white-on-white for the border (such as it is.)  Even those pieces came from my stash.

Wrinkled but finished!

This quilt is huge, which made it a real challenge to get good pictures of the whole thing.  The blocks are 24 by 24 each, which in retrospect I should have figured would make a really big quilt.  But we all know that I have trouble envisioning the sizes of things from the patterns, so I didn't really think it would be this big.  It's currently 78 by 102.  Yikes! The one thing I might do differently if I were to make it again is use a very narrow sashing between the blocks.  Matching all those points was not my favorite thing.



Given the size of the center, the only border that I added was a 3-inch strip of white all around. This mainly functions to stabilize all the edges and just softly frames out the piecing.  It really didn't need anything else.  This was made from the Moda Love pattern, available for free HERE.  If you scroll down, you can see that the pattern is offered in different sizes.  Mine is officially the "charm square" size.  A few of the layer cake size would cover a king-sized bed!  I would totally make this again, and I might just try the smallest size, which would finish at literally half the size of this quilt.




I am so happy to have this done!  It took me too long, I know, but I'm glad it's finished.  The backing will be my  remaining piece of extra-wide fabric from Amanda Jean Nyberg's Good Neighbors line--also a leftover! (The fabric for the orange frame is also Good Neighbors fabric.)


This is the Independence Day weekend in the US, so I hope everyone has a great celebration!  We are going house-hunting for the 800th time, then have some more fun things planned.  Enjoy the fireworks!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, crazymomquilts, and soscrappy for RSC16!  And since this is all scraps, also Oh Scrap! on Sunday.

30 comments:

Jo said...

That's a great backing for this quilt. Good choice.

Julie in GA said...

Beautiful quilt top, and you have the perfect backing fabric for it.

Julie in GA said...

Beautiful quilt top, and you have the perfect backing fabric for it.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Beautiful! Love the center blocks!

Alison V. said...

This looks awesome! That backing is just PERFECT for your quilt!

Cut&Alter said...

What a lovely quilt and such a satisfying finish. Enjoy the weekend over there!

Jen said...

That backing looks like it was made just for that quilt! I love making scrappy quilts, this one is lovely! Good job.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It turned out great!!!!

Sew Much For Free Time said...

Mari, this turned out so pretty! I just love it. I bet it's very gratifying to have it done! Happy 4th!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh wow what a magnum opus! That is a seriously big quilt and it's all gorgeous! Lovely to have made it from scraps and stash too - that's such a satisfying feeling isn't it!

KaHolly said...

It's stunning! Happy house hunting!

Laura said...

What a great way to use up crumb blocks! Congrats on the finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

That is a BIG quilt top --- beautiful with a lot to look at up close. Gorgeous!!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations! Such a huge accomplishment. Love the crumb centers. This is going to be a great quilt.

Katie Z. said...

Your flimsy looks fabulous!

Ivani said...

Wow it is beautiful!
Congratulations!!!
And you have the perfect fabric for its back

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE, Love, love it!!! I seriously may have to copy your idea of dropping the Crumbs into the center of the design... one of these days.

Sara said...

Wow! This turned out just gorgeous.

Bernie Kringel said...

Hurray, you finished it! I love those crumb blocks Mari. It turned out great. I bet you could use it on a twin or full size bed. Do you have one in the guest bedroom? That Good Neighbors line is so cute. I have used it a bit and I like all of the fabric in it. Awesome finish!

PaulaB quilts said...

It is a spectacular quilt, from its tiny crumbs to its huge size. The backing is also perfect. Congrats on a big job well done!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I agree with Paula, spectacular! You really have a way with color. I hope at least one of my RSC projects will be that pretty!

Karen said...

A beautiful quilt. You used the perfect fabric for the backing.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is a explosion of color. A perfect finish for the fourth. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Rebecca Grace said...

It's beautiful; congratulations! And happy house hunting!

Sally Trude said...

Congratulations. What a beauty! And your backing is absolutely perfect!

gayle said...

Those crumb centers add such a sparkle! Fabulous quilt!

Kate said...

It's a beautiful finish! Congrats on getting it all stitched together. Love those rainbow stars.

AnnieQuilts said...

Beautiful quilt! A pattern I will definitely try.

Rachel said...

Lovely! I really like the green and the navy framed stars, just because of how deep the colors are. The backing is fun too. A great use of scraps all around!

Sandy Panagos said...

That backing fabric is absolutely perfect. DARLING quilt!