Friday, September 21, 2018

Mission San Miguel

Hi everyone, and happy last day of summer! I know it doesn't feel like it everywhere (certainly not here!) but fall officially starts on Saturday.  I am ready for some cooler temperatures, but very unready for the season that follows the fall, which shall go unnamed for now.  So far, we have some dead leaves that have fallen, but nothing colorful yet.  Oh, and the tomato plants have given up, though they did produce really well this year.

This week I'm showing off my second free-pieced church!  Let's take a trip back in time, to last spring, so that we can pretend that I actually made the free-pieced church for the spring panel *in* the spring.  Just use your imagination! 


This is San Miguel Chapel, also known as Mission San Miguel, in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  It's reportedly the oldest church building in the continental United States, built between 1610 and 1626, long before any church building in New England or Virginia.  You can read much more about the church HERE.  It's an exciting story, really, because the church was originally constructed by the Tlaxcala Indians and it's been destroyed and rebuilt several times.  There are many historical pictures and pictures of the inside online as well.


I made this church using techniques detailed in Julie Sefton's book Build a Barn, No Pattern Construction. There was no pattern or anything, I just used a couple of photos that I had (which are not suitable for publication here since I knew even less about photography years ago) and pieced it in sections.  One thing I found helpful was to print out a photo on plain paper and then fold it to get a sense of the proportions.  Oddly, the church is almost symmetrical, in three parts.  The hardest part of the piecing was figuring out how to show the buttresses.  They're more like wedges than they appear in the quilt panel, but I think I did okay with it.


The main reason that this wasn't finished in the spring was that  I spent a lot of time looking for the perfect fabric to mimic the adobe.  That red-brown is a pretty difficult color to find.  Everything was either too light or too brown.  I had a lot of fun looking, though.  You may notice, too, that there are not a ton of plants around the church.  It is New Mexico, and most of the area around the church is paved, with other buildings very close to the church.  I always expect iconic buildings to be set off somehow by themselves, and then it ends up that they're across the street from a hotel or something, like the Alamo.  This church is in an historic district, but it's right there in a neighborhood, with apartments really close.


This church panel finished at 25 by 33, which is only a tiny bit different from the first panel.  This was a total coincidence, because I purposely didn't measure so that I could give San Miguel the space it deserved.  I was really surprised when I took the first church out of the box to take this picture.  Funny how things work out, isn't it?  I should also add that there are many details that will be quilted in, too, like the branches and leaves for that tree on the left, and the window panes.

So there's church number 2!  I've picked out the church for a summer panel, but I have a few things I have to work out for it first, like how to make the siding.  Maybe I'll make the fall church before the summer one because it's brick, which might be easier. 


Everyone have a great weekend!  There are no bridesmaid's dresses to alter this time around, but this weekend is my birthday and I have some gluten-free cake to enjoy. I have it on good authority that there will also be takeout, which we all know is my favorite thing.

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Finished or Not Friday, and TGIFF.

14 comments:

Jo said...

You have done a great job

Laura said...

Your churches are wonderful! Love them!

JanineMarie said...

Oh, Mari, I love the illusion of depth and dimension in this one. The way you use that tiny edge around the middle portion of your churches is such an important detail for the effect. You have a real gift for free piecing, and I hope Julie gets to see your work because she would be very proud of how you’ve taken to her technique. Yea for finding the perfect adobe, too. (Oh, and Happy Birthday and Happy Autumn!)

piecefulwendy said...

You captured the church well, and found great fabric for the adobe! Happy Happy Birthday!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is my birthday weekend, and Mrs.Goodneedle's, too!!!! Yippee! Your second church turned out SO well - congratulations.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your church looks great! I loved seeing the first one you did, too - so interesting to look at all the details you included. Happy Birthday, Mari!

Kate said...

You did an excellent job with the colors and the building of the second church. I also like that the sky is bluer than the first church. The skys are so deep blue in that part of the country. Congrats on two beautiful blocks.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Mari, this is gorgeous. You have such a talent for putting the right piece of fabric in the right color Spot! I am hoping to have some time to piece some of the beautiful old medieval buildings we saw in France and Germany

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Birthday! I think I saw that church, as a child, while traveling thru NM with my grandparents.

PaulaB quilts said...

Have a happy autumn birthday, Mari. This church looks so solid and aged with the fabric you used. I love it!

Preeti said...

The church is impressive, Mari. When it is quilted and complete it will be even more impressive. I can see that that Julie is so proud of you. Have the best birthday ever. Sending you lots of love and good wishes. Hope we can get together in the unnamed season for some friendly, quilty warmth.

Karen's Korner said...

Very clever. Looking forward to the next one.

Kim said...

Your churches are very cool.....they are fabulous!

Quiltdivajulie said...

A very belated comment - this one is absolutely stunning (your color choices were spot on). Again, I'd like to share it on the book's blog if that's okay with you. Looking forward to the next one . . .