Friday, November 16, 2018

A Mercyful quilt

Hi all! Did everyone get all their leaves raked up before the snow fell? Ha, me neither! I did manage not to slide off the unplowed roads, but that's another story altogether.  We got about 4-1/2 inches of snow, and it's raining as I write this.  I spent part of this afternoon watching cars trying to get up the hill near our house, and there were some near misses there. I could do with less of this kind of excitement, really.

Today I want to show this quilt, which I forgot I needed to take pictures of until I got home, so:


Yep, I had to take the photos in the snow, which is why there will be so few of them.  It was not actively raining at that point, but it was close. 


I did not make a single one of these blocks.  They are from a swap I did with some friends from an online group years ago.  The ones I made, of course, ended up in their quilts.  I finished the top in 2016 and just quilted it up in the last couple of weeks.  Yes, I am hanging my head in shame.  I meant to do the binding all by machine, but I forgot and stitched it to the front instead of the back, so it's got a hand binding instead.

Hmm, I seem to have missed a couple lines!

I quilted this up with the walking foot, just straight stitching along all of the block lines in a variegated gray, which was the only gray thread I had.  It actually turned out really well.  After I took this picture, I went back and did a small cross hatch in the setting triangles, too, but I'm just too lazy to go take another picture.


This quilt is folded up and in a box and ready to go off to my friend Bernie at Needle and Foot, who is collecting quilts for the palliative care unit at Mercy Hospital in Sacramento.  You can read all about the program and the quilts HERE and HERE.  I know from personal experience what a difference a program like this makes to the family, and I have nothing but respect for people who do this work.  I'm glad that this quilt will go off to help a family and I hope they get some comfort from it.  Many hospitals have programs like this, so if you're moved to contribute, you could check with your local hospital or send a quilt off to Bernie, who will be sure it's put to good use. 

Indoor picture!

On a much more cheerful note, I hope everyone has a good weekend with no snow.  California friends, I would send you a bunch of rain and snow if I could, but know that I'm praying for downpours to end the fires there.  Everybody stay safe!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Finished or Not Friday, and TGIFF.

13 comments:

KaHolly said...

This is a bravo quilt! And quite pretty! You have a very generous heart, and whoever this quilt is gifted to will find lots of comfort.

Preeti said...

I LOVE this quilt, Mari. For so many reasons. Love the colors, the pattern and the setting too. I think I need to add this to my "to be made" list. I remember that backing. We were together when you bought it from the Mook Fabric Store in Amish Country. Snow does have its helpful features - it is the perfect backdrop for quilt photoshoots. I am with you in my prayers for California.

Laura said...

Colorful, bright and just right to cheer up the recipient! Perfect!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is sure to bring comfort - and it is quite pretty framed with the snow - it sets those colors off just wonderfully. Stay warm!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, the snow provides a pretty backdrop for this cheerful quilt! So neat that you are sending it to Bernie for donating to Mercy. Hope your snow and rain is done soon and, yes, wouldn't it be great if we could send it to California.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a pretty quilt for a good cause. I saw on the news about all the snow and then rain you were getting. My brother lives in Maryland and I think he said he got 5 inches and then rain - too much for this time of year for sure!
I might need to check the local hospice and see what they need in the line of small quilts or afghans

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

A beautiful happy quilt. I know it will bless and cheer the recipient!

Bernie Kringel said...

This is so pretty Mari. There was a reason you held on to the flimsy for a while. Now it will go to a great program!! Thank you so much.

Snow!! Cannot believe how much is hitting everyone out there. My Vermont family has a ton - I got a cute video of H being pulled around on a sled. She is delighted as this is the first snow she really has enjoyed playing in. So cute.

Hoping to get some rain next week. Maybe, maybe. Crossing all my fingers and toes for that.

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a lovely finish. I think the snowy day is a great backdrop for the photos. Someone will love this cozy, colorful quit.

Louise said...

I really like this quilt! The clear colors in solid fabrics are so crisp and pretty. It looks a bit like candy, and yummy enough to nibble on! I'm sure it will be loved and appreciated by a grieving family. Thank you for donating it.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

beautiful quilt, the colours are so vibrant and lovely, it will cheer the family and send positive vibes. I really don't mean that in a hippy dippy way either!

Kate said...

A very pretty and colorful finish. Does not matter how long it took, it's done. That's all that matters, well that and it's going to have a very special new home. We had snow here on Monday, but it was nothing like what the Northeast got.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! I laughed right out loud at work when your picture caption said, Hmm, I seem to have missed a couple lines! HAHA! No one else has ever done that. It's a beautiful quilt, and how fun that others basically made it for you. I love all the solid fabric that were chosen, and how you laid out all of the colors in such a pleasing way. Some will really love and enjoy this quilt! Happy Monday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne