Friday, June 20, 2014

Fiesta Friday

Fiesta Pinwheels is now a finished top! Check it out:


It's not scrappy, but it sure is yellow!


I love, love, love this quilt. It was so cheerful to work on, especially when I was assembling the final top and it was raining like crazy.  It was simple sewing, with big pieces and easy shapes. If I were in a real hurry and had some time, I could easily have finished the top in a weekend. The original quilt pattern was made in neutrals, but you could seriously make this in any colors and have it look fantastic.  As a commenter helpfully pointed out, it's the value that does all the work, while color gets the credit. I am seriously considering making another one with rainbow scraps. Because, you know, I don't have enough projects. (The initial post on this quilt is HERE.)

Here's one little tip I learned about batiks: if you like the fabric, buy a big enough piece to use in a project, a yard or more. I didn't have quite enough of the green, so I went back to get another piece. Turns out the color variations between bolts of batiks can be huge, even if they're the same color from the same manufacturer. I like the variation it gives across this quilt, but if things like that bother you, buy enough from one bolt so you won't need to get more that could be a lot different. So, that's my tip--spend more money.

Green variations in one block. See what I mean?

That was the big finish for this week, but I also found some more yellows to  make a couple more triangle blocks for RSC14:

The palest yellow there is a bit of a Kona solid called Butter. This is one of my favorites. I've used it for backgrounds in several quilts. I keep thinking it's a little too light for the triangle quilt, but every quilt needs variety, so I'm keeping it for now.

It has been raining here all week, so the photos are a little gray this week. I know as soon as I post this the sun will come out, so I'd best get to it!

Even the daylilies are tired of the rain!

Have a great weekend everyone! Hope you get to do something fun!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, the awesome Sarah, and So Scrappy!


9 comments:

  1. I really like the Fiesta Pinwheel pattern. I might try it in a 6 inch size -- too cute. Hope the yellow will keep you cheered up until the rain passes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bright and happy quilt. I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiesta pinwheels is a good name; it's so bright and happy, and what a straightforward pattern. Your lilies are a beautiful yellow too, despite the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt - so cheery and bright. It makes you feel like you're on a Caribbean vacation just looking at it. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Fiesta quilt top. I agree, it certainly is yellow or bring sunshine! Lovely Butter blocks and luscious daylilly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your happy, colorful quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's right...buy more fabric!!
    LeeAnna
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I know where that fiesta pinwheel came from! What a great quilt - love the bright yellow. I agree - the butter yellow will be fine in the quilt - the variety of values helps to make it sing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love yellow so I think it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my little blog! I appreciate your comments so much and will respond to you if possible. If you are no-reply, please leave an address if you'd like a response.