Friday, June 27, 2014

Half-square dancing

Hi all, and welcome to another summer Friday. Isn't it great? We have lots of sunshine today, but more rain is coming, so we all better get out and enjoy it while we can.

So, I did a little productive sewing this week. The brown triangles mini is now done, with borders:


The final measurement of this little quilt is 21 by 23. Not sure if those borders are too wide or not, but I like them. I have a little of the brown left, but it was a real downer as a border, so I'll use it as the binding. All of these fabrics are from Fig Tree and are probably four years old? Maybe less. I can't remember. The best part is that those bonus triangles are now used and out of the plastic bag that was their home since forever.

I've also started putting some of the blue fields and furrows together:


Oops. Drooped a little into the bush there. More triangles out of the bag. It's nice so far, but a little heavy. There are a LOT of seams. I have 20 blocks, but I already know I'm going to want one more row across and down, so I'll actually be making more HSTs. I went back and forth on whether the blue or the white should be the center, but I think the white was a good choice. I have a decent idea for a border, too, so I'm feeling good about this one.

Next up on my list are these turquoise triangles.


I'm keeping this layout, but I did see a post online of a similar layout that had the triangles oriented the same way but with sashing between them. I think I want to try that and see what it looks like. Believe it or not, I actually have a whole bunch of leftover pale blue strips that might work. If I use those, that would be even more scraps out of the closet and into a quilt to be used and loved. There's a win if ever there was one!

Finally, the yellow Odd Fellow's are done! In time for the last weekend in June!


Pretty soon I'll have to take a "family picture" of all the Odd Fellow's blocks together. They're looking good.

I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but the white on white fabric in these blocks is little dragonflies. Mr. Academic Quilter saw the fabric and asked if I was intentionally using mosquito fabric in my project. He really needs to get out more. All that time with computers is frying his brain.

Linking up with Vicki Welsh's HST quilt along, the awesome Sarah, Crazy Mom Quilts, and Scrappy Saturday. Wonder what July's color will be?

Have a great weekend everyone! Happy sewing!

8 comments:

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Great progress on all of your projects and they are all so pretty!! Hard to believe that they are all HSTs.

-Soma

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love those Odd Fellows blocks. You are a very accurate piecer, I'm jealous!

Cathy said...

Ohhhh...yummy...those Odd Fellows are going to make a gorgeous quilt!

Marly said...

Tell Mr Academic he's not the only one! I bought some cream fabric with pale brown "mosquitos", I thought, but the shop owner was most offended. "Dragonflies" was her retort.
Whatever they are those Odd Fellows are looking good. You're certainly hooked on HSTs.

scraphappy said...

I'm wondering what July's color will be too. We're going to be having a shown and tell to mark the halfway point of the year on Wednesday. I'd love to see all of your blocks together.

Bonnie said...

You are doing a great job with your half square triangles. I keep collecting them but haven't done a whole lot with them. There is always next year!

Deb A said...

So many hst's made up into a lot of beautiful blocks and quilts. Great job. I can't wait to see the next color for July.... I'll start stalking her blog on Monday =).

Andee said...

Those yellow blocks just scream HAPPY! Very nice!