Friday, October 17, 2014

Small victories

Well, I don't know how your week has been, but it has been a very stressful week here, with large amounts of rain and gloom. This was compounded by almost 48 hours without Internet, phone, or TV. I know. It was like living in 1990 all over again, without the cheesy sitcoms. This affected several homes near us as well, so we weren't alone. It took a while but three different utility crews finally fixed it, including our totally fried cable box.

I did finish a few things this week. First up is the black/gray Odd Fellow's block:


Happy dance! I think he looks great. And I'm really hoping that either November or December is a black and white fabric month. I have ideas--and scraps!

I also made up those snowflake blocks into a small table topper, about 30 by 30:


I went with a monochrome look, which I think worked. Also, I decided not to rip and restitch the blocks after all. I figure after I quilt it and wash it I can touch up the seams with a marker if they still show, as Julie and Lorna both suggested. And if some thread shows, oh well. I'll find a way to live with it.

And I made up two test Drunkard's Path blocks:


I'm not sure I like that green. It's richer in person, but it's a bit pale. I may have to make a few more with different greens. Or pink! Pink would be nice too.

I also found this very useful book on modern Drunkard's Path quilts:


I think I'll be making a traditional layout, but this is a very nice book if you are like me and like to look at pretty things. It also has some useful ideas for piecing and color choices and such.

Finally, this is where I am with the paper-pieced Halloween project:


All the sections are pieced, but they need to be joined and there are a number of details which have to be added in, like fangs on the tiny vampire. Proof that big pieces do not necessarily mean fast and easy. I might get to do some more work on it this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. We are pulling out the annuals this weekend, since they are mostly dead now, and maybe dividing some perennials too. Oh boy. Can you feel the excitement? We may even get in the last lawn-cutting of the year. Now that's a cause for celebration!

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict, crazy mom quilts, and SoScrappy. Be sure to stop by!

12 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good job with the snowflakes topper!

I hear you re end of the year yard work and Internet woes ...

Jo said...

The snowflakes topper looks great. Foundation piecing isn't always quicker. Then you have all the papers to pull out. Mmmm

Vera said...

We had a lot of rain this week as well. Your projects are looking lovely!

Kate said...

Love the black/grey Odd Fellow's Block!

Nann said...

Hello from a couple of counties south of you! I found your blog via Crazy Mom Quilts and Finish It Friday. It's been rainy in northeastern Illinois this week, too. I really like the Odd Fellows Chain blocks in the wide palette.

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Love your snowflakes - so pretty!

Sharon said...

Looks like you have been busy even with the weather/electrical interruptions. All nice projects too! I had a week like that when the power line to our house died. We have a temporary fix. But 5 days w/o full power. No computer or sewing, just flickering lights. I hopped over from Vicki's DP post.

scraphappy said...

Ah the last grass cutting of the season. I remember those from my days up north. Alas, we keep mowing year round here. Love your odd fellow block! It turned out beautifully!

Paulette said...

"Like living in 1990..." had me laughing out loud. I like the green in your DP blocks. That looks like an interesting book on modern Drunkard's Path quilts!

LA Paylor said...

I like em all. Yep. I love halloween and wish I had a moment to make my halloween for this year... my day of the dead quilt will have to do I suppose. I bought all the fabrics for it, does that count?? The green looks like celadon, one of my fave greens. make a few more to see if you don't like it. I love drunkard path quilts but haven't seen the book. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Deb A said...

Love the odd fellows block! Such a busy time closing up the outside for the winter. Enjoy your inside stitches.

Kate said...

The Odd Fellows block looks great, and so does the table topper. Looks like you got some stuff done in spite of your time warp earlier this week.