Friday, February 6, 2015

The elephant in the room

Hi all!  Hope everyone has had a great week and been very, very productive. I had a fairly good week, but didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to, in sewing or other things. I blame this:

Notice the sunshine! And the extra-deep snowdrifts!

Pretty! But a pain in the butt to shovel and drive through. And very cold! It was -2 degrees when I took today's pictures. Thankfully, we are just having a normal Wisconsin winter. Our daughter in Maine had 70 inches in 10 days, which is enough to make anyone think twice about leaving the house.

Anyway, I did finish a few things sewing-wise. Mostly I worked on cleaning and sorting in the sewing room (more on that later) and making this guy:


An elephant! Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts is having a quilt-along with her pattern Elephant Parade. It is a very cute pattern and she's basically giving it away as a part of the quilt-along, in that all the cutting and sewing instructions are given on the blog. I wasn't going to make it, I really, really wasn't, but I thought I'd make just one elephant. You know what happened next:



I made him a bunch of friends! I guess I am making an Elephant Parade quilt. Or at least some more elephants. Because after I made these, I thought "who says that elephants have to be gray?" So. . .


Yep, a pink elephant! I'm sure she'll make it into the quilt somewhere. I'm also thinking a polka dot elephant would be darned cute. Maybe a polka dot baby elephant? We'll see!

Anyway, that was what I actually finished this week! Hope you got a lot more done than that. Everyone have a great weekend! I'm hoping to sew and move my fabric into the newly finished closet.

One more thing to mention--if you look at the sidebar, there's an ad for my good friend Leanne's custom embroidery business, The Sewcial Life. You should definitely check it out! She does beautiful work at very reasonable prices, and she made me some fantastic quilt labels. I'll bet she would do the same for you!

Linking to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Amanda Jean at crazy mom quilts. Stop by and wave!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those elephants are adorable. Wasn't there a polka dotted baby elephant on a children's movie? I think it was Rudolph - the misfit toys?
I was going to do this quilt along but I controlled myself - I have too many things going on at once. That pattern is wonderful.
70" of snow is crazy. From one end of the spectrum to the other. Our LOW temp last night was 60 degrees which is unheard of in February. What is wrong with California??? Have a good weekend.

Karisma said...

Hi Mari! There must be something in the air cause I spent a lot of time organizing the sewing room too! =) Your elephants are SUPER cute! I think a baby one in polka dots would be adorable and a great addition to the little elephant family! =) Happy Friday and Happy Sewing! ~ Aloha.

Sheri said...

Oh I'm so glad you sewed elephants! Very darling and fun!

JanineMarie said...

Oh, I love that Elephant Parade pattern! It's a good thing I was kind of away from the blogs for a little while when it came out, or I definitely would have succumbed. Your elephants are looking mighty fine. The pink will be so cute with the rest. (And, wow. I can't even imagine 70 inches of snow.)

Anonymous said...

This is such a fun block! And I love how you are branching out in the colors.

gibbygoo56 said...

I adore the elephants!

Magpie Sue said...

Okay, so you already made a pink elephant. But what about a floral pink elephant?! ;- )