Saturday, July 18, 2015

Red hot Saturday

Hi folks!  Hope you are already having a great weekend.  Just another update on the rainbow scrap challenge projects.  It's a hot and stormy day today with a hot and stormy color to show off.

Do you have much red?  I do not.  In fact, I had to really scramble to get any red for my projects at all. I used up most of the actual good reds in the row I made for the row quilt.  I think it's because there are not a lot of good reds any more.  Other people have written about this, and they're so right!  Mostly I have to find reds in the Valentine's or Christmas fabrics, and there's always the danger of snowmen lurking somewhere.  So, I've mostly foregone red and have only one short piece of yardage in the stash, and that's more of a juvenile fabric.

Before the red, though, one last green. I had a weird green floral piece left over from yesterday's project, so this is what I did with it:


I made a skirt for a doll, of course!  I think she's very cute.  The lighter-skinned dolls are very hard to photograph.  They bleach out a lot.  Take my word for it that they do end up looking fairly normal.

Once she was all done, I made her a few sisters:


I love them!  I am so happy to use up that scrap for the doll on the left.  That's been here for a while, but now it makes a great skirt!  And the girl next to her is supposed to be wearing a chemo hat, because survivors need representation too, but I'm not sure how well that comes through. Two of these skirts are more coral than red, but they're what I had.  Where else would you put coral? With orange? Or pink?  I'm never sure.

I also rummaged up enough red strings to make two lonely little red string blocks:


Some of those strings are really tiny, but I managed to get a couple blocks, so I'm calling that a success!  I'm sure they'll fit into the quilt just fine.

That's it from here!  Hope you are making some progress on your projects too!  I do love seeing what everyone else is doing.  I always get so inspired, and then I go crazy because there are just too many projects and not enough days in the week.  I'm sure no one else ever has that problem.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!  Hope the air conditioner is working!  And if you celebrate it, Happy Eid!  Enjoy the feast!

Sharing with Angela at soscrappy for RSC15.


18 comments:

Jo said...

Oh yes
Our HEATER is Woking just fine....
As I sit here tonight I think it is about zero outside. We are so cold. Thank god for our quilts......

Preeti said...

The dolls are so cute and their hairstyles are to die for. I admire how you took the time and effort to create them all different - like each one has a different personality. Love it!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

RED String blocks with TINY strings are SEW much FUN!!

scraphappy said...

Too many projects and too little time. It is a universal problem. So much better than having too much time and no inspiration though.

Katie Z. said...

Great scraps!

Gina said...

You've done well considering you said you didn't have a lot of red. I've got quite a bit of plain red as I pick it up when I see it. It's hard to find a good red that doesn't suddenly turn into an orange as soon as it leaves the shop

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lots of fun things this week - and yes, the A/C is working fine (heat index has stayed over 100 for TOO many days now).

Bernie Kringel said...

Ahhh... I love the chemo cap. My sister is still wrapping scarves on her bald little head, waiting for her hair to grow back in. So thank your for thinking to include a survivor. That is so sweet! Coral lives in no man's land. It doesn't really fit with the regular colors.

I had to look up Eid. Learn something new every day! We are going to a brew fest up in Downieville. It is an fundraiser to be able to build a new gazebo in the tiny little park up here. Ray is all for beer, and a fundraiser to boot?

Dasha said...

I am fascinated by colour. Put coral next to a true orange and it looks red; put it with the reds and it looks orange. And then there is the problem of a piece of fabric with for example a clean green background and a large floral pattern in purple. Is that green or purple. I end up giving up and just chucking them in what looks like the right scrap bucket at the time. LOL

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like the reds that you did find!! They look great!

Kate said...

It is hard to find good reds, some of the patriotic fabric lines have some nice true reds in them.

Love your fabric dolls! Congrats on using up so many scraps.

Deb A said...

I've been doing a lot of maroon - since that is the red 'shade' I tend to have more of to play with this month. The girls look great. I hear you on the too many projects... not enough time.

Sheila said...

Love your blocks. You are right about red fabrics.

Nell's Quilts said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a tough time deciding where some fabrics belong. I've actually used some fabrics as two different colours. It depends on how I pair the fabric. The little dolls are looking good!

Magpie Sue said...

I use red so much I'm finding I don't have a lot to work with for the RSC blocks I've been making. True reds are hard to come by, that's for sure. What I've bought most recently seems to be on orange side.

Cathy said...

No AC at my old farm house so I don't mind going to work so much these days!

Playing with paper dolls looks like such fun. You are so creative!

Anonymous said...

Love your little girls!

Rachel said...

I really like that last green girl and her curls! It's so fun how they all have their own hairstyle. There will be such a unique little (big?) family when you're all done!