Thursday, September 24, 2015

First Philly Finish

Hi everyone!  Have you had a good week?  We have had just a lovely time, but this weekend is shaping up to be just crazy.  The pope will be in town!  The road closings (including the freeway, which will be closed for 2 days) and general mayhem promise to make for a very interesting weekend. I don't have any passes to get through the security cordons, so I'll have to find some way to pass the time.  Can you think of anything I could do?

So, this week I'm celebrating my first Philadelphia finish!  Here it is:



Happy dance!  If you recall, this is my Terrestrial Star quilt, which I finished once, then finished again, and have now finally completely finished. Still can't get a picture where the blue shows up well, but I think it looks great!


This finished about 68 by 74 after quilting.  I love how it turned out!


This was long armed in an aspen leaf pattern in a green thread that matches the green in the quilt. And I zipped out a machine binding again, which only took me about an hour and a half for this whole quilt, including cutting and piecing the binding.  That is a major win in my book.


This quilt will be a gift for a friend, after it gets a wash.  I was looking for good picture places here near the condo, and found many promising places, including the little park on the property and this lovely gazebo.  I discovered after I took the picture, though, that this gazebo had been unused forever, because the dirt on those benches made the back of the quilt really filthy.  I was so sad!  My poor quilt!

I'm sure that it will wash fine, though, and very shortly be on its way to my friend.  That's my number one task for this weekend, then we may make some popcorn and watch the pope on TV.  Or maybe I'll sew!  What a novel idea!

Hope everyone has a great weekend with no traffic troubles! Happy sewing!



Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict  and Finish it up Friday.

15 comments:

Pat said...

I LOVE this quilt!

Windy Hill Happenings said...

A lovely piece....the quilting is wonderful!

Alison V. said...

Is it wrong that this quilt makes me think about mint chocolate chip ice cream? Congrats on a beautiful finish! :)

Tish Stemple said...

Congrats on your finish. I'm sure you friend will love this quilt. And with all of the craziness going on this weekend, home and quiet sounds like it would be heaven :)

Bernie Kringel said...

Mari, this turned out great! I love it. You have a very lucky friend. :-)

Say hi to the Pope for me.

B.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Love the colors. And I do not like crowds so I would stay in and sew as well!

JanineMarie said...

Hurray for your finish! That aspen leaf design looks wonderful, and the whole quilt is like a little snippet of nature--that's why it looks so good on that tree. Staying home watching the pope on TV and quilting sounds like the perfect way to avoid the traffic. I can't imagine Philadelphia with a freeway closed for two days!

Anonymous said...

The perfect quilt for Fall! Love the quilting on this!!

SewPsyched! said...

What a lovely fall quilt, and the quilting motif is perfect :)

Sara said...

Very pretty and the quilting is just perfect for those organic colors.

Lorna McMahon said...

What a lucky friend! This quilt is gorgeous.... Especially love that leaf quilting, Mari. Such a rich and beautiful finish and the photo shoot was a wonderful success!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh it looks wonderful! I love the leaf quilting, it's so pretty and works really well with the star :)

LA Paylor said...

yum, chocolate mints.

I went to a local quilt show today, more fun when you're with me!
I saw the Pope talking to Congress and was moved by his words. LeeAnna

Unknown said...

I really love the way you quilted it! Great finish!!

GranthamLynn said...

Beautiful quilt. Love the colors. And the quilting is wonderful.
You've taken some great shots.
Thanks for sharing.
Oh I remember your girls from last week!
I've enjoyed visiting you again.
Have a wonderful week.