Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Sunny day

Hi everyone! Wow, am I glad last week is over!  It was just crazy from beginning to end, except for Sunday, when our daughter and son-in-law came up for Easter.  That was definitely worth all the crazy.  I knew April would be a hard month, but I'm definitely ready for it to let up a bit.  At least we are enjoying some lovely sunshine and blooming trees, too.

So I didn't sew for six whole days!  No wonder I'm losing it.  When I finally got to sew, I finished off the first quadrant of my scrappy strings quilt:


This is from a pattern in No Scrap Left Behind by Amanda Jean Nyberg and will be a donation quilt for the Hands to Help Challenge.  I originally had that peachy pink floral as the centers of the blocks, but when I put a bunch of them together I didn't like them.  I switched to a beautiful Kona color called Butter, and I think it complements the colors in the strings really well.  This does use a *ton* of scraps, and right now I'm just hoping I have enough to make it to the end of the blocks.  I say that like there aren't a bunch of pieces of fabric floating around here, but you know what I mean!

I'm enjoying the dogwood blossoms, too!

I also made this block, which is the latest in the Sewcial Bee Sampler from Maureen Cracknell and Sharon Holland:


If that doesn't say "spring," I don't know what does!  At one block a week this has been really enjoyable and manageable.  There's always time to join in, too!


This is the 11th block for the sampler, and I started to cut sashing to put the rows together.  You know, just so I don't end up with a lot of blocks sitting in a project box, which we all know is a real possibility.  I'm hung up, though, on whether I want cornerstones between the blocks or not.  The layout that they show for the final quilt doesn't have them, but I think I might like them.  Any opinions?

That's it from here for now.  I'm off to do more crazy-making things!  Hope you're having a good week!  Don't forget that tomorrow is the start of the Spring Cleaning series, and we'll be tackling books.  It will be festive!


Sharing at Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, the Hands to Help linkup, and Oh Scrap!

7 comments:

Angie said...

Oh I understand what you are saying about not sewing for several days. Hopefully things will get "back on track" for all of us. The holidays sure are nice but it gets overwelming for me at times. I love all the colors in your block. Very cool.Happy Sewing to you!!

Vicki in MN said...

I love how your string quilt is looking! I just recently acquired that book, that pattern and donuts are on my list:)

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love the butter colour with the string quilt. Just came from a blog, needle thread happiness, that used corner stones on her charity quilt, I am a current fan! My next quilt is having corner stones for sure! Maybe 9 patch ones.

Preeti said...

Spring season and quilting with springy fabrics - Perfect. What more can I ask for?
A buddy to quilt with :-)
Hugs,
Preeti.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The springy colors of your string quilt blocks make it very happy looking! Hope you have a happy last week of April!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your string blocks are going to make such a happy donation quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Karen's Korner said...

I had withdrawal symptoms myself a couple of weeks ago!!!!! Some lovely things happening there.