Saturday, March 30, 2019

Scrappy green things

Hello and happy Saturday, everyone! I hope it's going well for you.  I don't know what you're doing this weekend,  but I bought a bunch of fabric yesterday and now I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival at my house.  I don't think any of it was green, but I'm always surprised when I open the packages, so it could be!

This is the last Saturday of March (yikes!), so today I've got a small roundup of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  I already showed off the green Cut Glass Dish blocks, so today let's start with the Boston Common quilt:


Well, that looks happy! If you recall, I'm putting a round of squares onto this quilt top each month in the color of the month.  I still have not had to cut any new squares, just pull them out of the 2-1/2 inch square bin.  It makes me happy to use those babies up!  Some of them have been hanging around for a long time. I think in April there will be one more round, then I'll add another round of white squares, just as a design element.  I know I won't be using a brown or black round unless they're the very last one, so the white squares will add a bit of size to the quilt, too.

Next up are the Tiny Tuesday blocks:


I didn't know if I'd like tiny blocks, but I certainly do! I didn't make the umbrella, but I did make a couple of extra blocks to make my quilt bigger.  And of course I made the owl:


You can see that my owl is sleeping.  He must be tired. Actually, I couldn't find anything for eyes, so I just made closed eyes.  And I was going to make him green or brown, but I'm glad I went ahead with the green instead.

Finally, I also made six green string sections for the Scrap Happy Rails quilt:


I have to say, when I started this project I was worried about how strings in all one color would look.  Wouldn't that be awfully flat?  Turns out it's not, and I'm really glad.  Once again I didn't have to cut any new strings, and I even had a few left over.  It sure doesn't look like there are that many in the jar, but somehow they magically keep multiplying.

I initially tried to take the picture of the string sections outside, but I think the camera is going.  I did manage to get this one, which shows the colors nicely:


And that is the end of the green projects! I'm happy with my progress, and I hope you're happy with your progress, too. Have a nice, restful weekend before we tackle the next color!

See what I mean?

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC19.

24 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love how you hung the string blocks on a bush lol.

Marly said...

this is such a nice collection of green blocks, I look forward to seeing how you put them all together!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many RSC quilts that you have going on! I do wonder what the next color is as I'm ready to start the upcoming months color

Julierose said...

Your "Goodnight Owl" is so cute!!;)))
Nice rails--they are pretty...hugs, Julierose

maggie fellow said...

wonderful and the owl is adorable

grammajudyb said...

Great job on the string projects.I am jealous of the bushes with leaves and flowers. None here yet. Still brown and dull!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your string blocks hung from the bushes just made me smile, Mari - so whimsical! The fun things we do to get good pictures of our projects! Love your owl, and all your greens.

Preeti said...

I saw the directions for making the owl and I was so tempted...but so many steps discouraged me. And here you are improvising (eyes shut is much simpler design) and conquering as you go along. Love the use of single fabric instead of strips. Even the feet are a single fabric. Brilliant!!!
Love the idea of Boston Common Quilt - adding one color/round every month. I am sure you will do wonderful things with all the blocks in all the colors.
I so need a dose of Mari right now.

Cathy said...

You certainly have a knack for posing/staging your blocks to their best advantage! Where to start? ... I love everything you’re doing! Your scraps and the resulting blocks are so cute! The Boston Commons quilt is going to be a stunner. Have a great weekend, Mari!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I really like seeing your Boston Commons quilt grow! And the sleeping owl? Adorable!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Funny that you worried about monochromatic strings - I actually love the look. And I like the idea of that Boston Commons quilt. I haven't yielded to the Tiny Tuesday temptation yet . . . hoping to resist but wondering how long that will last.

Quilter Kathy said...

Lovely green blocks... awesome owl!

Birthe Marie said...

So many beautiful green blocks! I like your string blocks good and the owl is very cute! :-)

Julie in GA said...

So many beautiful green fabrics in all of your wonderful scrappy blocks! Your sleepy owl is adorable, and I love the string blocks too.

Bernie Kringel said...

Your sleepy owl is so cute. And Mari, what a great idea to use up your pre-cut squares with the Boston Common project. Brilliant and easy!

Katie Z. said...

Nice choice on the owl eyes. I had to look deep and far for an appropriate eyeball fabric!

gayle said...

I love all your blocks, but that snoozy little owl is the BEST!

PaulaB quilts said...

That sweet tiny owl must be still very young and needs to sleep. I think the strips hanging from the bush look like Christmas decorations anyway. What kind of backing are they stitched to? Have a fun week!

DeAnna said...

Love your tiny blocks, especially the owl. Love all the greens, a nice prelude to Spring!

JanineMarie said...

Oh my, Mari, that sleeping owl is delightful. I’ll be sad to see green go, but isn’t it fun to see how each new color changes the character of all the scrappy blocks together?

Cathy said...

Your sleeping owl is a cute variation. I might have to use up some 2.5 inch scraps in a Boston Commons. Wonderful scrappy stuff here!

Auntie Em said...

Wow, you really got a lot done with your greens this month. Your sleepy little owl is delightful!

Bonnie said...

First I really love you showing the string blocks on the green tree .... bush? It really made me chuckle. And I think the idea of a Boston Commons quilt using your green squares is brilliant. Now if I could just remember until NEXT year. (Love the little Jack and Jill quilts you showed on your last post too.)

scraphappy said...

So fun that your owl is sleeping. Lots of great greens put to great use this month. Looking forward to aqua.