Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Tiny blocks on Tuesday

Hi all! Has the arctic cold hit your area yet? We're supposed to get hit with it starting today, so it's time to hunker down and get out all of the quilts so we can be ready. Some of them are still in boxes, but I promise that I'll be pulling them out this afternoon. Wouldn't want to be cold in the morning, after all!

Today I want to show the last of my tiny Tuesday blocks:


Yahoo! I know these usually get shown on Saturdays, but I thought it was appropriate to finish up the Tiny Tuesday blocks on a Tuesday.  Also, I really tried to get outdoor photos, but many of them didn't turn out this time because the days are getting so much shorter and there's no light. It's indoor picture season, folks.  I'll try to be creative with that.  Updated to add: I managed to go out this morning and get a couple outside.  These are better, believe me.


None of these were blocks that Angela presented, because I needed to add some blocks to make 56 for the layout I want.  These are all traditional blocks, but in a smaller size. Surprisingly, none of them was especially difficult, though I did have one that came out 1/2 inch too big:


I was sure I had done the math correctly, but it's too big, so I'll have to take it apart and trim the pieces down. Amazingly, through this whole project I only had problems with a couple of blocks, and not necessarily the ones you would think, either.

Because I made a black block earlier, I made a couple more black blocks this past week.  You know, so the block I already had wouldn't be lonely:


I really didn't think that I would make any black blocks, but these are colorful enough that they really don't seem like holes in the quilt, which is what I was afraid of.  That one at the top is made from some really treasured Mary Engelbreit scraps, so you know that I'm quite fond of that one.  For the others I just used some scraps that I liked and had in the correct sizes, but I think they turned out lovely.


I do have to make one more block, though, because included in my 56 are these two:


Yes, I somehow made the same block twice. Which one would you keep and which would you remake?  Any suggestions for a final block?

I've decided to go ahead and use the striped layout from Tula Pink (see the example HERE) and I'm trying to choose the two stripe colors.  Here are my current choices:


I'm leaning towards the white with the tiny dots, and I've seriously thought about using the blue for the darker stripe.  This blue might be too dark, though, so I may look for a different one. I know I don't really want the beige or the gray. Hmmm. . .here's a thought--what about a pale yellow?  Would that be too much?

I guess I'll have to experiment some! Good thing the weather is going to be crummy so I won't feel guilty for being inside. Everybody stay warm and dry this week!


Sharing at soscrappy for RSC19

13 comments:

KaHolly said...

Your latest blocks look fantabulous! Digging through fabric and auditioning all the different possibilities is one of the fun parts of scrap quilting. Good luck coming up with just the right combo for you!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all these blocks - we had a little bit of flurries last night that I would have missed if our daughter didn't text me to look out the window to see lol - and it is sticking to the deck a little still this morning - I imagine the sun will melt it off quickly although it is staying pretty cold this morning!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such great blocks to finish out your Tiny Tuesday collection, Mari! Your idea for the setting is really interesting - although I would have a hard time deciding on the colors for that, too. The white will definitely be pretty with your colorful blocks! Stay warm - hope they've turned on the heat in your office!

ButterZ said...

Well done getting your Tiny Tuesdays done. I like the Bow Tie on the right. Haven't thought which block you could do. As for colours, one will jump out.

Sara said...

The tiny blocks can be addictive to work on. I’ve been doing a lot of the 6” blocks in Lori Holt’s books. So cute.

piecefulwendy said...

I like the bow tie on the right. What fun little blocks, Mari! As far as the last block -- have you taken the "Which Quilt Block Are You" quiz posted by Broadcloth Studio? Maybe you could take that, and make the block you get (if it isn't too difficult). Might be a fun addition to your quilt. Just a thought.

Farm Quilter said...

What great blocks!! This is going to be a beautiful quilt and I'll be interested in what fabric you choose to be your columns. I like the bow tie on the left...I think the red is purer, while the red on the right is "muddy". Which color goes better with the rest of the colors in your quilt? The blocks you are showing today seem to be purer color, so I think the left one would go with them better. I would use whichever one you don't put on the front of the quilt on the back and use it as the label!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good luck on the very last block!! Or you could make a game out of finding the ONE block that was repeated...

maggie fellow said...

great idea using a stripe across the quilt.

Katie Z. said...

How pretty, and good luck with the stripe!

Preeti said...

Beware of the lonely block. It will stand out like a sore thumb :-p 56 tiny blocks sounds punishing but i am sure that the final product will be absolutely worth it. Stay warm my friend. Sending hugs :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What model machine do you have in your Singer treadle cabinet?

Susie H said...

Love all your blocks. Glad you decided on the Tula Pink finish. I like the idea of a yellow!