Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The stars at night

Hello everyone! I hope you are all feeling well and healthy, and that no one is going too stir crazy yet. This is a weird and challenging time, isn't it? It's like a slow-motion science fiction movie right now. Lots of stress and lots of strange things happening. Who ever thought we would live through a time when half our country is locked down? I hope you're all coping okay.

Well, I'll bet you can figure out my coping strategy! I've made myself a schedule since I'm teaching all online now and I want to be sure I get outside and eat enough and take breaks and such, and one thing on my schedule is "go to sewing room." Somehow I always find something to do there!  Here is what I've already finished up this week:


What? It's the completely finished and bound Constellations quilt! At long last! The sunshine is washing out the colors a bit, but it's finished and is bright and happy in spite of the dark background.


I made this quilt top as a quilt along project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2017. I know I'm way behind getting it quilted, but a little while ago I sent it off to Alycia, and she quilted some stars into it for me. Since I made the binding two years ago, it wasn't that hard to trim it up and put the binding on it, then de-stress by hand stitching the binding down.


This turned out to be a very cute lap size, as it's about 56 by 66.  I love this picture of the backing, mostly because it's a great color, but also because you can see the fun stars. The back looks almost as good as the front!


I like this little quilt, and I'm happy it's finished, but I'm not sure what's going to happen to it. Sometimes it's fun just to make something without a real plan. I'm sure that something will come up. Most likely one of my kids will make off with it. That seems to happen a lot around here.


I hope all of you are safe and are getting some stress-free stitching time. Or really stressed stitching time! Either way.  Stay healthy and take care of each other. We're going to come out of this, sooner or later, though I'm not sure things will ever be "the same" again. But they'll be better, I know that!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag about your Beauties, and Finished or not Friday.

14 comments:

Tish Stemple said...

I remember watching this one come together as you were piecing it. I love seeing it finished! I love those little stars she quilted onto it. These are definitely strange times we are going through. I hope you and your family stay healthy and we all stay sane :)

piecefulwendy said...

What a happy quilt, with all those stars shining against that blue! I'm glad you're finding a schedule/pace that works for you. This will definitely be a year that we will, at some point, say "remember when" and have lots of memories. We will get through this, but I agree, it will be interesting to see what it will look like once we do. Happy quilting!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's fun to see that one finished, Mari - I love all the different star designs! Looks like the quilting is perfect for it, too. Beautiful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for a beautiful finish!! and I love the idea of your schedule including sewing time!! this is good to make sure you take care of yourself - hugs my friend!!!

Preeti said...

Seeing this quilt and reading your blogpost has made me so happy :-) I remember those stellar blocks when you were making them and we talked about tutorials etc. Mari, this is a fabulous finish and Alycia's starry quilting is a perfect complement. My work schedule is unchanged and so is my sewing time. I share your hope for improved healthcare for all Americans once this is all over.

Sara said...

It turned out great!! Love how the colors pop on the dark background.

My coping skills are failing. I did fine for awhile because I had lots of binding to do. But that's done and now I'm struggling to focus on sewing, or work, or my online classes that I teach. This too shall pass I guess.

Lisa B. said...

The constellations quilt is how I found your blog. I saw it listed on Sew It Seams annual "free block of the month" list. I loved following along and have been a follower of your blog ever since.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a stellar quilt finish, Mari!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent finish - glad the schedule is working. Yes, we will get through this and life will have been changed by it all - but for now it is one day at a time doing the best we can and being grateful for the little things that make our days better.

Angela said...

What a beautiful quilt! So glad that you were able to find some time to de-stress and sew. We all need to find some time away from the news right now. Hang in there!

gayle said...

I love the dark background - it shows those stars twinkling in the night sky! I really enjoyed watching you making all these blocks, and the finish is fabulous!

Rose said...

Love the contrast between the blocks and the background.

Cathy said...

Another beautiful finish! Congratulations!

Quilter Kathy said...

And another fabulous finish...wow you are on a roll!
I just love sampler quilts!