Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Hidden treasure

Hi everyone! Hope you're having a good day. Thanks so much for all the good wishes for my dad's birthday! It was quite festive in spite of it all, even though the Zoom call was complete chaos. Mute, people, mute! It was a fun kind of chaos, though, with the comparison of coronavirus beards (ugh) and even the newest great grandchild was awake for her debut appearance. Not a huge party, and not what we had planned, but fun nonetheless.

So, today I need some advice from all of you out there who are much better quilters than I am. It involves this amazing quilt:


I had a hard time getting a good picture of the whole thing because I didn't want to hang it up, but this is a finished and basted quilt top just waiting to be quilted up, and it's made up of embroidered squares in a 30s style.  The basted top measures about 56 by 72.  Where did I get this? It belongs to my sister in law, and she wants me to finish it for her.


Of course, the story is more interesting than that! My sister-in-law's mother died not long ago of complications of Alzheimer's disease, which she had suffered from for several years.  (No funeral because of the virus, too, which is just unspeakably cruel. We all understand, but gosh, that's bad.) Carol was dedicated to sewing of all types-- she did home decor, clothes, quilting, embroidery by machine, amd anything else that needed stitching. She made her daughters' wedding dresses, and all of the bridesmaid dresses, too, along with her own mother of the bride outfits. Most of Carol's sewing notions and such had already been distributed, but there are always a few things left, aren't there?

My sister-in-law is cleaning out everything else that's left so that the house can be sold, and she came across a bag with what she recognized as a layered and basted quilt. Since she doesn't sew, she didn't take it out of the bag, just put it in a box and sent it off (she also sent me some spare rulers and a small cutting mat, plus some old magazines and a book, too.)  She wanted to know if I could use it, or if there was anything there worth saving. When I got it , the quilt was folded with the backing facing out. Imagine my surprise when I pulled it out of the bag and unfolded it!


The embroidered squares are really quite nice, on a good quality muslin, and well worked. No visible knots!  The backing is pieced and has a floral "frame" around a piece of pink fabric. The pink matches the sashing, and the floral is the same as the border. Also in the bag? A nice long piece of the floral, cut 2-1/2 inches wide. This must be the binding! And machine embroidered right there on that pretty pink backing is this:


Which is how we discovered that this quilt was not made by her mother, but by her grandmother, or as a collaboration between them.  Her grandmother also died of Alzheimer's disease, not long after the date on the quilt backing. It has been in the bag and waiting ever since.

Obviously I'm going to finish this treasure for my sister in law, but I need to make a few decisions first. So, to the questions!

1. The quilt is securely basted (see those big stitches?), but the batting is a poly that feels like sandpaper. It's also coming apart on the edges:


Even though I hate to take out the basting, I think it would be best to use some new cotton batting, don't you?

2. Would you do anything to the embroidered squares before quilting? I have read about stabilizing them with a fusible interfacing, but should I do that? The muslin is a good quality and they look like they were finished yesterday.

3. How would you quilt this? Would you stitch on the muslin squares, or just on the sashing and borders?

4. Should I wash it after quilting? How?

5. Anything I haven't thought of that you have?

Okay, so I guess I have a new adventure to undertake! Good thing there's nothing else going on in my life, right? All of the hard work seems to be done, though. I'll just bring it across the finish line.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and I hope everyone is having a good week. Wash your hands and stay healthy, friends, and check some of those bags you have stashed. There might be hidden treasure you forgot about!

Sharing at Midweek Makers

19 comments:

Linda Schiffer said...

I would take out the basting and replace that poly batting with good quality cotton (Quilter's Dream Cotton is the very best; I like Select weight). You can quilt it or have it long arm quilted ... by machine ... or hand quilt it. Old redwork quilts from the late 1800s are often quilted right through the embroidery patterns ... but most modern quilt makers quilt around them (to make them stand out).

:) Linda

Louise said...

That is such a treasure! I would definitely replace the batting and cotton is a great choice. Cotton is amazingly durable so don't worry about washing it after you quilt it. I made a small lap quilt as a test piece out of 95 year old orphan blocks from a friend's great grandmother, and it washed like a dream! We used her regular washer and dryer at home. Armed with that knowledge, she had a queen size top from the same era finished and uses it daily. If you're worried at all about dyes bleeding, use Dawn blue dishwashing soap for the first wash.

As for the quilting, I'd probably free motion stitch by machine around the outside of each embroidered section, maybe 1/4" from the embroidery. Then I'd fill in the rest of the cream muslin with a simple filler like stippling. That would make the embroidered areas pop a little. Then I'd do a different filler in the pink sashing, like ribbon candy or straight lines. I hope you'll share your progress!

piecefulwendy said...

No wisdom to share with you, other than I'd replace the batting. What a treasure, though! I hope we get to see your progress!

patty a. said...

I agree with everyone about the batting. The poly has got to go! You could do a combination of hand and machine quilting - hand quilt the embroidered squares and free motion quilt the sashing and borders. Don't fret over it. Just make a decision and get 'er done! What a treasure you have been gifted!

Barbara said...

After replacing batting I would quilt in either a cross hatch or Baptist fan as was typical of this era quilt. As was mentioned by another responder quilting was done right over embroidery.

Quiltdivajulie said...

(1) Definitely replace the batting - AFTER you take lots of detail photos of the quilt as it was passed along to you (for the record, so to speak). I concur about the Quilter's Dream Select cotton - great product. (2) Since this is a very special piece, I would be tempted suggested having a long arm quilter do the quilting -mostly because it will keep you from super-stressing about every stitch you place into the quilt. BUT If you feel up to the challenge, you could use blue painter's tape to mark a diagonal cross hatching design with no worries about your marking not coming out properly. (3) You should also check out the websites of several quilters who routinely work with "rescued vintage quilts" to see how they handle some of theirs (series of posts by Anita Shackleford - https://www.anitashackelford.net/anitas-blog/category/quilt-rescue for example). (4) My biggest suggestion - when it comes to laundering the quilted and bound quilt is to use a LOT of color catchers because you have no idea whether or not the embroidery floss colors will bleed - Vicki Welsh has a fabulous piece on Oh My Bleeding Quilt that might be good to ready before you launder your newly finished quilt.

Good luck - once you decide on your path, you'll do GREAT!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I agree with the others take the time to replace the batting and you will be happy with it. Now of course I disagree with those that say machine quilt it as I am a hand quilter and I think hand quilting would be best for a quilt of that era :) but you do what you want as it is for your family - I think that is so nice to find that it was most likely done by the grandmother.

Sara said...

I think taking out the basting to remove that poly batting is a good first start. The batting will eventually cause more damage to the cotton fabric. It's a really special family treasure isn't it? Ideally hand quilting might be the best option. I would maybe do a simple outline of the embroidery shape to hold it securely sandwiched, and then more detailed quilting in the sashing. But keep it simple. Of course, someone who is a more knowledgeable quilt historian may have other suggestions. But I would wait to wash until after it's quilted and bound, then carefully soak in the bathtub.

JustGail said...

Like the others, I'd replace the batting. Are you certain the muslin is 100% cotton, and not poly-cotton? I ask because I have some poly-cotton pillowcases Mom embroidered and the fabric cut the embroidery threads :-( The embroidery is gone. I'd do something that would keep the blocks fairly stable but still allow for soft and cuddly finished quilt, like fans.

Elle said...

I concur on a cotton or cotton/wool batting. As one who has made and gifted many embroidered quilts over the decades, fuse the embroidery squares with a lightweight interfacing to secure the stitching.

I would also use colorcatchers as I suspect the thread from the 80s/90s will not have been colorfast.

I've had to repair one of my gifted quilts so do something to secure each of those embroidered blocks. If you don't want to carry a cross-hatch or BF into it, stop at the edge. Do a staystitch inside each embroidered square just 3/8 inch or so-whatever dimension fits.

What a wonderful treasure and kudos to you for finishing it.

Bernie Kringel said...

No advice here - seems like everyone has provided you with lots of good ideas. But what a treasure. It is awesome you are going to finish this up. It will be loved! PS - Alzheimers is just the worst!!!

JanineMarie said...

Ooh, Mari, what a treasure, indeed. I’m a lazy labeler, but this just shows how helpful they are. Here’s my two-cents worth, which you may happily disregard. I say yes to cotton batting—or a 80/20 blend. One thing I have been observing in my own stuff is that 100% cotton batting might grab loose dye more, but I don’t have backup studies. :) Anyway, if you wash, for sure use ample water and detergent and color catchers. Or, here’s an idea: leave the washing up to your sister-in-law. I just read a blog the other day (and ack, I can’t remember which one), and the quilter had quilted an embroidered quilt right through the stitches. My recommendation, which again, you can happily disregard, would be a diagonal grid over the whole thing with a thin, quality quilting thread, or if that sounds like a nightmare, a smallish stipple. The main thing is to keep quilting fairly even to avoid poofy parts. I can’t wait to see what you decide to do with this treasure. I’m glad you were able to celebrate your dad’s birthday in a way that works for the times—not what you wanted, but memorable.

Preeti said...

So much cuteness in these blocks. Looks like you received a ton of good advice. If you choose to use wool batting, please please talk to me first.

Quayquilter said...

Definitely change the batting and press. You could hand cross hatch through the mulin squares. If machining I like to programme my Janome to fasten-asterisk stitch-fasten-cut little dots in the redwork/embroidery background. It really is charming. I think longarming is counter to the spirit of the piece.

ButterZ said...

As much as everyone has said they would replace the batting I wouldn't. It has already lasted 20 years and that is how the maker intended.
I would hand quilt the embroidered blocks, cross hatched design closely together and continue sashings but not going through the embroidery though. When I did my first hand quilting class it was with poly wadding. I would live to finish the quilt for you. Have fun making your decision.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

what a wonderful quilt. my son loved his embroidered quilt so much that there is hardly a string left of it!

Ruth said...

As a young mother (1980s) I got together with some childhood friends and we made quilts, small ones of 9 patchwork blocks. This was when hi-loft poly batting was king! So that's what we used for batting.
Fast forward to 2000s, and my quilt was showing wear from the batting rubbing against the fabric as I used it. So I took out all of the hand stitching I had put in (not a great amount), inserted a new cotton batting, and re-stitched the whole thing.
I am so glad that I knew about the poly batting problem and could fix my quilt so easily. Your embroidered quilt has never been washed or used, so the batting hasn't rubbed on the fabric. Also, the muslin fabric may be very strong - not like our current fabrics. I have some fabric pieces from the 1930s and they are much more durable than today's fabric. The actual threads are thicker and stronger.
I would suggest the finish quilting go straight through the embroidered squares so as to firmly hold the embroidery in place, especially if the quilt is to actually be in use. Leaving the embroidery squares unquilted, and poofy, means more wear and tear on the poofy parts, and thus the embroidery threads will come loose faster and wear away.
But it is your quilt and you can decide to do whatever you feel is best. It will be up to you and no one else. Good Luck! It is a very beautiful quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful treasure! I too have that pink floral somewhere in my stash. I would do an all over stipple to secure the whole thing. There may be some poly-cotton fabrics in there. I like my quilts with an all over design, without regard to blocks, evenly quilted so nothing is more puffy than another area. I find the quilts last longer that way. Definitely new batting!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a great find! Yes, I'd put in better batting.