Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Color challenged

 Hello everyone! We are having some beautiful fall days right now, interrupted by furious bouts of banging and hammering. I'm happy for both! I have been outside every day, and it's been quite chilly when I go out walking in the morning. Why does 55 degrees feel so great in April and so bad in October? 

Today I have the September and October blocks that I've been doing for the Color Challenge at Patterns by Jen. This has been a fun project for me during this crazy stressful year. I don't usually go for blocks with big pieces, but they have saved some of my sanity and given me a nice distraction. Here's September and October:

 

Hey, look at that, they're all the same size! And the right size, too. At least one thing this year is going right. 

My big challenge with these blocks was the colors, though September also gave me a challenge with the layout of the block. September's color was cinnamon, and this warm brownish batik is as close as I got:


I think it looks cinnamon-y enough, and coordinates well with the leaves that have started to fall, too. Jen's block had only four flying geese with large plain sections, and I just couldn't do that. I kept the flying geese but added some others to make Dutchman's Puzzle blocks. I like them! They fit my style a bit better.

October's blocks are olive, which is yet another color I don't have. (Amazingly, I have a bunch of next month's color, which is buff.) I knew going in that I didn't have olive, but I figured I would just substitute another green, so I did:

 

This is a dusty-ish green, and I really like how these blocks turned out. Those of you with eagle eyes will notice that I re-drafted the block and pieced it a little differently so that I would have solid pieces in the middle. When I first saw the block all I could see was the cool diamond design in the middle, and I really liked that and wanted to be sure it was emphasized. Plus, at this point, who could be sure that all of my pieces would actually meet in the center?

So, there's those blocks! I do love blocks, you know. And somehow I am all caught up on this project. How does *that* happen? I couldn't tell you, but I'm enjoying it for now!

Hope everyone is having a good week, in spite of the upheaval in our country right now. It's too much to even think about, and doing so just makes me tired, so here is an artsy picture instead of a comment:

 

Everyone stay healthy! And sane, too!

Sharing at Midweek Makers.

13 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

I love the blocks, and they pair so well! The green looks olive enough to me, so I think you're good. Glad you have banging and hammering going on, that's a good sign. Funny how the threat of the winter season finally motivates them, right? Yay for being caught up on your blocks.

Libby in TN said...

You did great interpreting the colors!

MissPat said...

I think you hit the cinnamon just fine and it's your quilt so you can adapt and adjust the colors and design to suit your own style. Glad the garage is progressing so you will hopefully be able to get the car(s) out of the winter weather. Enjoy the fall while it's still around.
Pat

Sara said...

Beautiful blocks! You did great in finding cinnamon and olive in your fabrics. I think the Dutchman's Puzzle is a good choice. It has such great movement to it.

JanineMarie said...

These look perfectly cinnamon and olive to me, Mari! I like the idea of using more unusual color names for color-of-the-month. Hold onto your sanity! And your quilting!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on getting your blocks done, Mari. BONUS POINTS that they are all the right size!! :o))

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! I have been wondering the same thing. Why is 40-degrees almost balmy in April yet brrrrr, quite chilly in October?! Maybe because we shift from 90s and 80s so quickly to 40s that out blood hasn't thickened yet. I don't have the answer but I surely do agree with you. I also love your blocks - they both look close enough to cinnamon and olive to pass judgment in my eyes. And who exactly is going to be calling you out anyway?! I love the change you made to the flying geese - I kept looking at your block and wondering what was wrong with mine. Take care! ~smile~ Roseanne

sue s said...

Jack and I spent too much time together on my olive block; yours look great! I think I tried to be too original because I didn't have enough olive scraps.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I like your colors, cinnamon and olive or not!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blocks are looking great, Mari! I'm curious how you changed up the block construction on the October blocks. Did you make those diamond shapes where the stars cone together as a square in a square?

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love all of your blocks! I am hoping that I will be able to work on this project shortly as I purchased fabrics for it in December last year and we all know that my year did not happen! Your blocks are great!

Louise said...

Your blocks look great! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying them. I'm doing this challenge, too, and have changed a lot of the colors. Now I'm kind of wondering why I did a color challenge just to change the colors? I guess I'm a bit challenged by authority! :)

Susan said...

Great looking blocks! I think you're doing just fine with this challenge