Saturday, September 18, 2021

Chained together

 Hi everyone! It's another weekend, and I'm told that it's officially the last weekend of summer, since fall starts this coming week. Wednesday, I think. I can believe it's still summer, because it has been really warm here. And raining. Today's pictures are weird because the light was all strange, mainly because it was about to rain again. And it's raining again this morning, too.

In stitching news, I have finished off the Color Chain quilt top for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge! Here she is:
 
 
See, it's super wet outside. I know there are a couple of months left in the RSC, including this month, which should be orange. Here's the thing, though-- I took out the blocks to make some orange ones to add to it, and I put the existing blocks up on the design wall. And the quilt told me it was done! It was a good size and plenty colorful, so I could just assemble it and be done. Sold!
 
 
I did add in a little bit of orange with some cornerstones, and there is one in a bright green, too, which I think might be our last color for the year. I thought the cornerstones made the chain effect even better, and who can resist throwing in a few more scraps?
 
See the leftover raindrops?

The hardest part of putting this quilt top together was choosing a border. I wasn't going to have a border, but it looked pretty washed out without one. (If you look closely, you can see that there is some orange in the border, too, and plenty of green.) Somehow, multicolor brights never look good with my RSC quilts. They always seem to clash, but I auditioned a bunch of others and settled on this one. I think it works fine.
 

Unbelievably, that means that I have finished off one of my RSC quilts for this year! Hurray! This will become a donation quilt and will likely get quilted next year. That means it's not unfinished, just waiting its turn. Right? And speaking of unfinished projects. . .have you all seen THIS? 
 

 
Leanne at Devoted Quilter is running a WIPs Be Gone challenge for the last 100 days of 2021. Unbelievably, next Thursday is the first day, because that will kick off the 100 final days of this year. Who knew? She has a lot of prizes included and it looks like fun, so consider jumping in if you'd like. Heaven knows I have plenty of unfinished things around here. . .
 
The dampness makes it look really sad and saggy, but I promise it's a happy quilt!
 
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Remember that it's officially still summer, so you could totally justify a quick trip to the beach!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC21.

17 comments:

Marly said...

What a delightful quilt, Mari. It's so bright and cheerful, and the flowers in the border complement the chains perfectly.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That does look like a happy quilt to me, Mari! I love the colorful chain design and the border looks perfect for the quilt!

Jenny said...

Such a wonderful finish! I've borrowed your idea for my 4 patch RSC blocks this year, thanks so much for the inspiration.

Sara said...

That turned out very pretty! Good choice for the border. I doesn’t overpower the other colors, but pulls it all together.

Ivani said...

It is a lovely and happy quilt, Mari.
The border looks perfect for it

LA Paylor said...

cute cute cute! I keep wanting to do a double irish chain but haven't yet! Your chain is so pretty!

ButterZ said...

Well done on another top finish. The border print is so pretty. Can’t wait to see what else you get finished.

Cathy said...

Such a cute chain quilt! And now it can patiently wait its turn for quilting. I’m joining in on WIPS-B-GONE, too, so it will be nice to see a friendly face among the participants! xo

The Joyful Quilter said...

ORANGE is represented in the cornerstones and in the border. If the quilt says it's done, then a quilter should listen. Looks SEW good, Mari!!

piecefulwendy said...

The border fabric is so nice - it lets the blocks shine, but adds a perfect finish. Congrats on getting your RSC quilts done! Yippee!

Linda said...

What a lovely finish. All the colours stand out so well.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on finishing a RSC quilt already. It does seem like people are starting to get antsy for the end of the year. Glad you were able to work in both of the last two colors of the year.

MissPat said...

Hurray for a finish, well, at least an addition to the "to be quilted" pile. I'm joining the WIPs be gone party, too, and need to inventory the many RSC projects that are flimsies to be quilted or sadly just a pile of blocks. I certainly won't run out by the end of the year. Sorry you have rain. We are sunny but cool.
Pat

Susie H said...

What a pretty quilt. Way to work in the final two 2021 color2 to boot! Congratulations. It's a winner!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

What a Happy Quilt! Hugs

Preeti said...

Cleverly sashed!!! Love the chains :-) That backing is supercute.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like it when a quilt speaks to me - it makes all the decision so much easier! and that is a super cute one!