Friday, January 28, 2022

Time for some stars

 Hi everyone, and happy last weekend of January! Didn't we just start January? Holy cow, I just don't know where the time goes. All I know is that it is never long enough when I'm trying to sleep, or when I'm trying to work on something really important with a deadline. Maybe the deadlines are why I can't sleep. What do you think?

So many questions! How about a pretty little finished quilt to break it up a bit? It was pretty cold this week, but we had more than one clear day so I took this bright little quilt outside and took some pictures:
 
 
Okay, that's cheerful and it isn't asking any questions! This is the completely finished Beothuk Star quilt, by Sandra of mmmquilts. I made the top in 2019, which I absolutely have to mention was now three whole years ago. It was the last little quilt top that I finished at our house in Delaware before we moved to Baltimore. It got packed away immediately and came out of the box here in Baltimore when I was looking for UFOs to repurpose and projects to be finished with. 
 

As you can see, it is much nicer all quilted up than it was in the box! I quilted this myself at the last quilting appointment I had, and then it hung around here for a little bit while I tried to figure out what color to bind it with. I couldn't decide, and then I actually looked at the scraps and found that I only had enough of the turquoise. I guess that decided things!


I bound this by machine, which is now my first choice for binding. Yes, I am surprised, because I never thought this would happen. I've had enough practice now that it is much easier than it was at the beginning, and I have to tell you-- it is so much faster! The key to success (for me) is to press the binding well after stitching it to the back. It makes a huge difference in how easy it is to flip it to the front and stitch it down.


The quilting pattern here is Daisy Swirl by Clothwerx and is the most complex pattern that I've quilted yet. It turned out great, so I am feeling much more confident about the whole longarming thing. I wish I could afford a machine of my own, because it would be really nice to load the machine one afternoon then actually do the quilting the next day, but even used ones are pretty much beyond me, so I'll be making another rental appointment soon.

So there's another happy quilt finish! This week I also finished piecing the Gridlock quilt top, but I'm planning to have it jump the line and get quilted next, so it can have some beauty shots then. I also may have started a new quilt, but that will have to wait, too!


Everyone have a great weekend! We're apparently going to have some snow, wind, and other weather, and maybe a *lot* of snow (they can't decide), so it looks like a good time to hole up and sort scraps. Maybe I'll even vacuum, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that! 
 
(Also, for anyone concerned about the brown bat we have here at the house, he's still hanging out under the eaves and seems to be just fine. It hasn't been warm enough for him to move, but he looks just the same!)

Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Brag About Your Beauties, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique.

16 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous UFO finish, Mari!! Regarding that binding... It's the color I would have chosen anyway. :o))

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm laughing at myself because I started thinking how I love that design, Mari - great stars, etc, and then I realized that I made that quilt, too! Beothuk Star! Yours is really pretty, and congratulations on your finish! I love that background fabric - I have some scraps of it in my stash, too.

piecefulwendy said...

I did the same as Diann, thinking it was such a pretty design and then thought - wait, that's Beothuk! It's such a pretty quilt, and you did a nice job on the quilting! It would be glorious to have an in-house LA wouldn't it? I'm just positive if I had the $$ and the room for it, I wouldn't have a single UFO - hahahaha! Anyway, congratulations on the finish. I hope your weather doesn't get too bad. Good sewing weather, at least!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Fabulous finish!!! and so bright and cheery!! Congrats on getting better on the longarm.. it is kinda addicting!

Sleep is overrated right? haha! Just kidding!! Hope it comes to you soon!

grammajudyb said...

The binding choice was perfect. I, too, have been practicing my machine binding. It is getting better. No yet my go to, but works for small, keep at home projects! I didn’t make Beothuk Star, but I do like it! Yours is fabulous’

quiltingbydawn said...

Pretty colors! Great job with the quilting!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

this quilt looks so happy! Congrats on the finish!!

MissPat said...

Isn't it amazing how time is flying by, even though we don't seem to be doing anything? Hope the storm isn't too bad. The weatherman last night said we had at least a trace of snow every day in January except for one. It can stop now and it definitely needs to warm up. We've been below zero at least 4 times in the last 10 days.
Pat

KaHolly said...

A perfectly lovely finish! So inspirational. Feel special that the brown bat chose your house to wait out the cold spell. He knew he was safe with you!

scraphappy said...

I am SO enjoying seeing all the UFOs come out and get quilted up. The texture on this one is beautiful!

JanineMarie said...

Such a pretty quilt in the sunshine! You go girl mastering the longarming. I love how your patterns keep getting more complex. I'll be interested in seeing how your weather shakes up. I hope you keep your electricity so you can keep on quilting. There's nothing like sewing in winter light when there's snow on the ground. (Only downside is that the strong light shows all the dust and grungies lying around. Just ignore them and keep sewing.)

Sharon Kwilter said...

It's a pretty one. Congrats on finishing a UFO.

Kim said...

Love the fabrics in this quilt. The colours are filled with happiness; love the turquoise and pink. A truly splendid finish!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations for this beautiful finish, and I love the binding. Sometimes it's not necessary to think too much, and this color is just perfect! I like to bind by machine too. Well done with the longarm, your quilting is lovely.
Thank you for sharing such a cheerful and pretty quilt, and linking up!

Kathryn said...

Thanks for taking on this project this year. I've begun to follow you so I don't miss the info on projects and timing.

Preeti said...

This is a gorgeous finish!!! Beautiful pictures too. Machine binding is the way to go. Turquoise is the perfect color - it matches and brightens the quilt.