Friday, February 18, 2022

All the aqua birdies

 Hello all! First, thanks to everyone who sent their good thoughts about Hands2Help after the last post. I'm excited about what's happening this year. If you want to check it out, look back to the post right HERE. Also, if you scroll all the way down, Roseanne was kind enough to make a clickable button, and you can get the code right there. Thanks Roseanne!

But more on that later! This was yet another hard week, but the situation causing all of the stress should be coming to a happy resolution soon. Yahoo! I'm looking forward to amuch nicer March, that's for sure.

This week I managed to make some fun aqua birds for the rainbow scrap challenge. I love aqua, so I love all of these birds:
 
 
It was quite windy, but I managed to get a few useable pictures. Aren't they adorable? I made five, but I had to make myself stop, because these babies are really addictive. You could make your own using Lynne's tutorial, which you can get right HERE.
 
 
I need to make more right-facing birds. I don't necessarily want an equal number, but a few more would be nice. Plus, how adorable is the bird on the left? Half the fun of making the birds is trying out all the different color combinations, especially the beaks and the legs. I know I should have just made a "legs" panel and cut them off there, the same for all the birds, but what fun is that?


The purple beak and legs are my favorite! A kind of drab aqua turned out super colorful and fun.


And the final pair, chasing each other. I think that might be my last piece of the yellow dots on turquoise. I'm sorry to see it go. It makes a great bird, though.

When I got home yesterday, I had to make one more bird, just for Lynne:


Obviously, this is a catbird and will occupy the catbird seat in my quilt. I think it will blend nicely with some blue sashing, and keep watch over all the other birds.

That was my whole accomplishment for this week. Not a lot, but moving forward is always good! Hope you all are moving forward, too, and that everyone has a great weekend. Spring is on the horizon, so I'm going to start garden planning. That sounds happy, doesn't it? Bring on the flowers!


Sharing at Finished or not Friday, the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique, and soscrappy for RSC22.

26 comments:

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely fun birds.

Sara said...

I'm in love with your birds!! I may have to make some too.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Your birds are so great. I think they look lovely together. Please keep us posted on the finish.

Nancy said...

What fun birds. Looking at the row of them on the clothes line, it looks to me like the ones on the right are looking toward and listening to the fellow on the left who is giving a speech, or instructions, or telling a joke. (Ah me, always with the personification. Haha.)

scraphappy said...

The yellow and teal bird is super happy. What a fun flock! Glad you had some fun sewing to keep your spirits up.

piecefulwendy said...

Love this block design, and all your aqua birds. So many fun fabrics, and I'm glad you are making the legs different colors too. Now I want to go make a billion of these.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute, Bird blocks, Mari!!! SEW many wonderful AQUA/TEAL scraps, too!!

Kathleen said...

Love those birdies! Just linked up the image on my blog for H2H.

Maggie said...

Love the birds blowing in the breeze. They are all ready for spring and so are all of us. Have a wonderful weekend.

Deb said...

I so hear you on the stress, thank goodness for a great hobby/passion to keep me above water. Love those birds and yes , they look like a group with lots to say!! Stay safe and sew on !

MissPat said...

Ah, a Catbird in memory of Millie. I think Lynne revels in having quilter's put their own imprint on the birds. I loved all the variations in the legs that people did on the bird's they sent Lynne for her sampler quilt. I'm guessing you're trying to keep the blocks all the same size. I hope your world calms down soon.
Pat

Ivani said...

Those are super cute aqua birds, Mari.

Turid said...

So adorable, and really fun. I made some of those years ago. Now I have to make some new ones. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathy S. said...

The bright birds are so much fun. Every time I see bird blocks such as these I think of all the fun times of the Block Lotto. Oh how I miss the Block Lotto. Sew on!

Oh, and where these bird blocks were photographed is gorgeous. Perfect pics! Nicely done.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your birds are all so fun, Mari! The black and white bird is a sweet remembrance of Millie. That's how I discovered Lynne's blog - I read about Millie first. Hope life settles down for you in the week ahead!

Jenny said...

Not a lot, you say? I'm sure those quirky little birds are quite time consuming, and so cute. Well done, that's a lot of fiddly sewing you have accomplished.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! Oh, those birdies are so cute. Their skinny stick legs just crack me up. They remind me of my Grandma Ruby who had skinny stick legs and a not so svelt tummy. She managed to stay upright all the time, though. LOVE the Millie bird - how poignant. {{Hugs}} a bunch and thanks for the shoutout!! ~smile~ Roseanne

Kim said...

All your birds are gorgeous! Love all the different patterns and colours. Aqua is such a happy hue.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely birds, it was a great idea to play with beaks and legs colors! I love the purples too ;) I must say this black and white bird is my favorite!
Thank you for sharing this wonderful bird garland, and linking up ;)

Preeti said...

A spectacular parade of proud birds!!! They look fantastic.

Peggy said...

Fun, fabulous birds, especially that cat bird!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love your birds!! they look so at home there in the forest!!!

Sandy Panagos said...

Cutest birds ever! Love the catbird.

Millie said...

Hi Mari! Thanks for the shout-out. I said making birds is addictive!!! LOL. Thank you so much for the bird inspired by Millie. She will be sorely missed.

Your birds are lovely, and just so you know, I frequently make big bird leg panels in several different colors to have handy when I make a flock of birds.

Thanks again, and hugs,
Lynne
(Millie was the cat)

Sandra Walker said...

I love these birds Mari! Glad the situation is about to be resolved. Fingers crossed for you.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I too love those birds. They are amazing!
Good luck too with everything. Life is a roller coaster and we are all on the ride.