Saturday, September 7, 2019

A tiny new start

Hi everyone, and happy weekend! I hope everyone had a good week. I unpacked some more boxes, made some curtains, hemmed some others, and found my power cord. Yahoo! Then I sewed! It was heavenly.  I love the new sewing room. Here's one thing I didn't expect-- it's very quiet. I still don't know where some of my scraps are, but it was very peaceful while I was down there looking.

I have *so many* projects in various stages that it was hard to know where to start. I decided to start with some small things and catch up on some tiny scrap blocks:


As you can see, I ended up with five tiny blocks so far. As you can also see, one thing I haven't located yet is the charging cord for my camera, so I'm stuck with cell phone pictures. Yeah, not my favorites, either, but at least you get the idea.


These were so great to make. I did locate some blues, and these blocks only take a little bit of fabric, so I was able to eke these out. I had saved the "violet" block from a few weeks ago for when we finally got to purple, but now mine looks a little weird and I can't quite figure out what's wrong with it.  Maybe it will look okay once it's sewn to the others.

Do not get attached to this tree. . .

I decided to try the latest block, the Storm at Sea (how appropriate!) and I'm not super-pleased with it. So many tiny pieces! I did the paper piecing with seam allowances, and it was pretty bulky at some intersections. I had trouble lining up the points, too. So I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm keeping it because I don't want to redo it. It will look okay once it's with all the other blocks in the quilt, right?

That was all I had time for this week, but it felt great. It's almost starting to feel normal around here, but there are still some boxes left, and the painting hasn't even begun. Nonetheless, this weekend I'm going to go get the stuff for a design wall! Doesn't that sound exciting? No promises on actually getting it put up, but at least it's a start.


Hope you all have a good weekend! The picture above is of some roses that the deer haven't eaten yet. Maybe these aren't very tasty? Good thing they're pretty!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC19. So glad the hurricane missed Florida and that Angela and family are safe!

14 comments:

scraphappy said...

So glad you are getting settled in. Finding everything and deciding on a new home for it is an ongoing process. Looks like you've already gotten good use out of the sewing machine chord. Storm at Sea looks pretty good to me! Given the tiny size, perfection is a lot to hope for.

MissPat said...

Storm at sea is a killer in any size (I've made two using two different methods). I haven't tackled this week's block yet. Trying to get as much outdoor work done as long as the weather holds. Love the color of that little rose. I slacked off on deer repellent spraying and they hit the oak leaf hydrangea, the phlox and the hosta this week. Grrrr. Glad you found the sewing machine power cord and seem to be settling in rapidly.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

Glad you are slowly getting a bit more settled in. Those little blocks look good to me. Paper piecing that small can definitely get fussy, especially the intersections. I think yours looks good, and you are correct, it will look great with all the others. Oh, the design wall materials! How exciting!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, these are so beautiful never mind so tiny. |Happy Stitching!

Libby in TN said...

Sashing will definitely fix your violet.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blocks are looking good to me, Mari! I'm just glad you got to play in your scraps for a bit! I've just barely started working on the Storm at Sea block - if mine looks as good as yours, I'll be so happy!

Birthe Marie said...

These Tiny Tuesday blocks are all so beautiful! Have a great Sunday! :-)

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm SEW glad that you found some stitching time! It's good to hear that the new place is starting to feel like home. Best of luck with the rest of the unpacking and painting, too!

Susie H said...

The blocks look great to me. So glad you've found your happy place again!

Unknown said...

You said above that..........
”the violet block looked a little bit weird”.
The violet block does not have as long a lines as the others that is why it looks different.......just my thoughts
Hope this helps.....

Preeti said...

Being separated from your sewing can be agonizing. I am glad that you reconnected with your power cord and resumed sewing. This "Tiny Blocks" concept is terrific in theory. In reality, those little suckers are a huge PITA. They move too much. Unless it a paper pieced pattern I won't attempt those itty-bitty blocks. Not that I am fond of paper-piecing but that is doable in distress. Roses are gorgeous!!! How did I miss them?

Kate said...

Glad you've been able to get back to a bit of stitching. After our last move 13 years ago, it was so nice to get back to some sewing. Lots of very fun and pretty blocks. Happy stitching this weekend.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

OH yay - here is to small projects!!! Great job - and I bet it was very relaxing too! I think cell phones have come such a long way - you sometimes get even better photos.... just sayin'
Heres to finding your cords!!

Danice G said...

So glad you are getting settled in the new home. The phone photos do look great, and so do the blocks. Your assortment of fabrics is always so good.