Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Four patch frenzy

Hi all! How's your life been? We've had quite the time around here. Let's start with this-- I am allergic to cats. So if, theoretically, I moved into a house with carpets and window treatments and such and a cat had lived there before me, my sinuses would swell up and I would have a big headache until I either moved out or employed someone with big industrial rug-sucking machines to clean the place.  And of course ripped out all of the offending window treatments, washed down the walls, and used the big sucking machines on all the nooks and crannies, too.  So when a neighbor mentioned the cat that used to live here, it solved a couple of mysteries and caused some trouble, but at least I'm feeling better now.

And how have you been?

Now that I can breathe again, I've started working in earnest on the quilt for my nephew. If you recall, he wanted orange, and I've been working on making four patches for Kevin the Quilter's mystery scrap quilt. It's turning out pretty well, even though there are a ton of four-patches to be made. Here's how far I am:



Okay, that doesn't look like much, but there are tons of four-patches waiting in the wings. I decided to make the center from two patches so that I could get more variety in the center, which is a pretty solid block of orange. I just don't want to have the same fabrics next to each other. Is that weird?


Of course, I did not have this many oranges in the stash.  I used most of the orange scraps I had, plus I purchased some orange fat quarters to cut up. I thought there was plenty of variety, but you know that you can always use more.  I get bored with stitching the same fabrics over and over, and a little stressed about making sure that there aren't too many that are the same. I'm not done with all the four patches in orange yet, so I think I might get a few more pieces just for a little more variation in the four patches. I think it might need some lighter oranges, just for a little zing. A few brights never hurt!

This is a two-color quilt, and I chose to use gray with the orange, because, you know, Joe is a guy and I wanted it to look masculine but not Halloween-ish:


I think the gray is going to work!  As you know if you have read this blog at all, I am not a big fan of gray and I generally don't have very much of it around. I used every single piece I could find, plus I bought some fat quarters, and I was able to eke out all of the gray that I needed. I *may* have cut one strip from a piece of yardage, but you can't fault me for that, can you? And I used up a lot of gray that was never going to get used in anything else, so that's a win, too.


I actually liked working with the grays a little better than the oranges. They're a little easier on the eyes, and for some reason I didn't care quite as much about how the different fabrics went together.  (I wonder what that says about me?) The grays don't photograph nearly as well, though!

So, now that our new place is cat-allergen free, I am back to it. The sewing room is not yet all together, but all the fabric is out of boxes (again), I've wiped down all the shelves and washed a few things, and I've gotten the books arranged.  And I found the walking foot, too, so maybe there will be a fun finish later this week.  We can hope, right?


This last photo is from the window in my office. By far the best view I've ever had. Usually I'm looking at some kind of building they put up in the 1970s, but all the offices in our "pod" have these huge, tall windows. It's great, and I'm happy to be looking at trees instead. Allergic to those, too, but at least they stay outside!

Hope you're all having a good, allergy-free week and getting some stitching in. And if you're selling your house, be sure to tell people about your pets! Or at least spring for some rug sucking when you move out!

12 comments:

Farm Quilter said...

Well, you are working with one of my favorite colors and one of my least favorite colors!!! Grey is such a great color to work with and it is the perfect foil for bright colors. I have a bunch of grey in my stash! If I ever had to make an orange quilt, I would definitely need to shop for the orange!! I'm looking forward to seeing your completed quilt!

KaHolly said...

I love piecing with orange! This is going to be one spectacular quilt when all is said and done. Oh, poor you with your allergies! I’m glad you were able to make your new home cat allergen Free. Sounds as though it was a lot of work! But definitely worth the major effort. After all, we must be able to breathe!

Libby in TN said...

Sorry you've been suffering. After 18 months in our new house, I found out last week that the previous owner was a heavy smoker. Not that we're allergic, but it does explain some of the odd odors here and there. I think 3 years on the market with air purifiers running constantly may have helped.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad the source of discomfort was discovered and dealt with and you are breathing better now. I had resisted gray for years but now have plenty in my stash and use it often, usually in small doses though.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I'm sorry about the allergies and all the work that goes into freeing a home of that cat dander and whatnot. I do love my cat, but if we ever do move (not likely) I'll keep that in mind. We have mostly hardwood floors, so that's something, right? Anyway, I love the orange, which is no surprise, and I think the grey will do well with it. I did the same when sewing my 4-patches, trying not to have the same together. When I started sewing the 4-patches into the main unit, I did the same but had to give up. I have a couple of places where two same squares are meeting. I just try to look the other way - ha! Will be fun to see this come together. I'm at the point where I need to trim, and that worries me, so ignoring it for now. :-)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Glad you de-catted the house! Pretty oranges. I gifted my Kevin project got bored with 4 patches! and really had a difficult time in getting so many with different combo's! Good for you though!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

My first thought as I read the beginning of your post was, "Oh no!" It must be frustrating to discover that after you've bought the house and moved in, and done lots of cleaning. Glad it's getting better though. I think your orange and gray together are going to be great!

Sara said...

Glad you are now mostly allergen free. It’s that time of year when my allergies are going wild so I feel your pain. Grey makes a wonderful partner with the orange. Good choice.

JanineMarie said...

Oh, wow!! I do hope you are feeling better after that big deep clean. Really, it’s good that your neighbor solved that mystery so that your misery didn’t go on and on. I’ve grown fond of orange in recent years—and gray, too—even though I haven’t used them much for my own things. It’s kind of fun making something you know another will like that’s out of your comfort zone. But there’s that balance edge there that you have to like the colors enough to enjoy the making. I love your view from your office—I bet it will be wonderful through all the seasons.

Jo said...

So glad you have it all sorted.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I so sympathize with you on the cats!! Glad its getting better. Your KTQ quilt is going to turn out great in those colors!! Have fun!!

LA Paylor said...

cats, and smokers leave behind a lot of allergens. I worried about that when we were looking. This was advertised as pet free when we saw it, but it won't be when we sell it, poodle in residence. At least he doesn't shed, just tracks in some dirt on his pads.

I like the orange and gray. Gray is hard to find, it's either blue, or taupe, or whitish, or blackish.
LeeAnna