Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Basting away again

Hi everyone! Well, it's still January, the longest month ever. It looks like today is starting out very gray, but I was definitely promised sunshine later. We'll see how that works out.

I am basting away again, but alas, not in Margaritaville.  I am trying very hard to make progress on the many unquilted tops I have in the closet. I have recently sent out four of them to be quilted, and then I have some smaller ones and more personal ones that I am quilting up myself.  First up is this one:


This is a quilt top that I made back in "the dark times" when we had first moved to the East Coast and were living in that tiny condo while searching for a house. You can read the post about the top HERE. All of these blocks came from a swap that I did with some friends. (That's also the last swap I did. Hmmm. . .)

I'm just walking foot quilting this in straight lines following the ribbons. It's not imaginative, but it will get the job done.  After this one is finished, I have another quilt ready, with the back all made. I just need to cut some batting to baste it:


Yes, it's past time for this one, too. This was promised to Bernie for Mercyful Quilts and I made the top but didn't ever quilt it. I'm so embarrassed by this that I'm planning to send both of these quilts to Bernie. This one will be walking foot quilted, too, but I'm not quite sure how. Diagonal lines, probably. My main goal is to get this one quilted and off to the promised recipient so it can do its job of giving some comfort to someone in need.

If I get bored with quilting straight lines, you know I have plenty of piecing to do, and my daughter called a few days ago and said, "Did you know there are still some of your boxes in our basement?" So we retrieved those, and here's one of them:


A box of fabric pieces and fat quarters! It's like I have new fabric all over again. So I'll be sorting those out and playing with them-- and getting one more box out of my house. Have I mentioned that I'm never moving again?

That's the dispatch from here! Hope you are all having a good week. Happy Wednesday!

Sharing at the Midweek Makers link party.

9 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Good for you for getting all organized - maybe you will rub off on me!! ha ha - and Margaritaville.... lets go!!

Sara said...

A new box of fabric - it's a bonus. I'm in the same boat as far as tops needing quilting. I found 3 small ones hanging in my closet with their backing ready to be quilted. And there are 2 large quilts needing backing yet but otherwise ready to quilt. One more is currently at the long armer waiting for it's turn. And I just picked up another from a different long armer last Saturday. Obviously I piece much faster than I quilt.

Andrea said...

I've got several quilts that need quilting too, but it's so pricey to send out that I've been avoiding it. (My husband might not love that bill! ;) ) That means lot of piecing, and quilting up some smaller quilts by myself, as well. It looks like there is a lot of fun in that box. Enjoy it.

ButterZ said...

Happy quilting and moving some projects along. That's a happy little surprise for you to play with..

Preeti said...

GAdzooks!!! You found fabric!!! I see several pieces I like :-)
Let me know if you need my help in quilting something. You know that one trick ponies are fast because they have mastered their one trick :-)
Will swap quilting services for fabric :-D

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Surprise fabric! How lucky 😊
Enjoy your quilting

piecefulwendy said...

So if you put a box in your basement, it fills with fabric? Haha - I need a basement then! Okay, I don't really. I have plenty of fabric! I'm sure you'll come up with a quilting plan for your two quilts, and I know Bernie will be happy to receive them, no matter when.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! How fun to get a 'new' old box of fabrics. It's like reconnecting with old friends, isn't it? Good luck on getting some sunshine. I am tempted to fly somewhere just to be above the clouds for a bit and enjoy the never-seen-around-these-part Sun. Good for you for getting these quilts moving forward. You'll feel better knowing they can be enjoyed and loved by someone else who needs them. ~smile~ Roseanne

Kate said...

I have to agree, January seemed to be one long month of gray skies and cold weather. Hopefully February will be warmer and sunnier. Good luck with your quilting plans. I know the feeling of wanting to move things to the finished side of the list. You are making good progress on that front.