Monday, February 1, 2021

And then the lights went out

 Hello everyone! Hey, are you all covered in snow? We are, and it's freaking me out just a little because it's been so long since we've seen it. The snow is also complicating some excitement I've had in the sewing room recently. I have flourescent lights in there-- or I had, at this point-- and I lost two out of three of them one day last week. They just stopped working, which was not welcome at all. We had planned to change out the lights in there to some LED lights anyway, so we called the electrician and he came out and started to switch out the lights. But, you know, "the wires are really old" and "these really aren't wired correctly." Long story short, still no light, and power in only part of the room. The wrong part, of course.

And then came snow. And some other people have electrical problems from the snow. I have hopes that my lights will be all fixed this week, but I really have no basis for that hope. More wishful thinking than anything.

Meanwhile, there are things I should be working on but am not, so here's a very short update. First, there is this little block:


After seeing so many really fun starts on the Stay at Home Round Robin, I decided to jump in and make a smallish donation quilt. I started with this block cut from a panel, which started out at 11 inches. Then I was supposed to add piano keys for the first round, but I was starting late, so why not just use a nice stripe instead?

It worked great, and I even mitered the corners so it looks extra special. This is now about 16-1/2 inches square. The next round is plus blocks, but of course the lights went out before that could happen. I've actually never made a plus block, so I want to have as much light as possible before I try. I see that the next one is up, too, and it's flying geese. Oooh, I actually have an idea for that! 

So that's going along okay, and I'm also working on  the Bokeh quilt along with Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl. Here is my fabric:

 

That's a surprise, isn't it? I almost never use solids. I have a project that I started a long time ago in solids and I'm not sure that I'm going to finish it. We'll see. For this, though, Bernie at Needle and Foot put together some kits for her shop, which included a print for the curved portions. This was a great idea, and I chose a print and some coordinating solids (with Bernie's help on the solids.) I think this is going to look spectacular. I did start cutting after I took this picture, so when there is power again I'll be ready to start on step one of the piecing. You can still join in if you'd like, too!

The only other thing I have right now is these hexies: 

 

In my ongoing repurposing spree, I've dug these out, cut them apart, and finally admitted that they are not going to become anything else. I have enough to make a narrow table runner, which is nice because I happen to have a narrow table just right for these. I'm going to stitch them to a piece of backing by machine and be done with it. Any suggestions for the backing color? I thought I might stitch them about 1/4 inch apart, so the backing will show.

Okay, that's what I have for now! Keep your fingers crossed that everyone who needs it gets their power back so that I can get some lights back. Otherwise I might have to haul the machine up here and settle in at the dining table. Unfortunately, the only person that would annoy is the hubs, and he can be very annoying in return. Or just in general, you know?

Everybody stay warm and dry! 

Sharing at Midweek Makers.

14 comments:

Sara said...

We’ve had very little snow here in SD this winter - so far. Guess you are getting what we usually have. Hopefully all of the electricity woes will be over quickly. Having no lights will sure cut into your sewing time.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad that you jumped in the SAHRR, Mari!! Now I have some company in being behind everyone else. Thanks! :P

MissPat said...

Okay, look on the positive side. You have heat and lights everywhere else in your house. Hopefully you also get to stay home for a day or two. We're still waiting for the snow we're supposed to get from the backside of the storm. So far only light flurries are falling. Your little hippo quilt will make a darling donation.
Pat

JanineMarie said...

I love your colorful projects— perfect contrast to the snow. I have snow envy right now. We only got an edge of the storm. I always say that if it’s going to be cold we might as well have snow. I’m so sorry for your lack of lights, because those projects must really be begging you to work on them. They look like such fun. I love seeing SAHRR quilts in my feed. (Should have joined.) About the hexies, picking backgrounds can be a challenge when you have some dark fabrics and some with white edges. I wonder if the color wheel could point to something. In that case, an orangish reddish color? Sure doesn’t seem right, but a starting place for trying some out? It’s the sort of thing that would create a huge mess of dithering, but don’t let that stop you. :)

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your lighting situation. I hope it gets taken care of soon so you can get back to those lovely projects! I'm so glad you are stitching along with the Round Robin, and I love your stripey piano keys (great idea). Bokah is going to be very pretty in those fabrics! I'd probably go with a light gray background for the hexies, but maybe someone else has a better idea.

Bernie Kringel said...

Nice selection of projects going on! Bokeh will be awesome in those fabrics and I love that you are undertaking a quilt with lots of solids - quite out of your usual. For the hexies, I vote for a taupe or deep off-white. But I am not terribly adventurous with color. lastly - that round robin center is so cute - what a fun toddler quilt that will be. Really adorable.

Rebecca said...

How about yellow for that backing.

Laura said...

Happy to see your round robin in progress. I love the way you used the stripe fabric. I'm doing the round robin as well and am trying to figure out how to sew meandering geese.

pamspretties57 said...

Hi, Mari. It's been a long time since I commented on one of your posts. I hope you get the light situation fixed soon. And you can send some of that snow down to NC, I love snow and we get so little where I live. I love the floral and solids you have picked out and that hippo quilt is gonna be so sweet. I would go for a dark background on the hexies, maybe a navy or even black. Yes, you do have e some dark ones but not many, and the dark background would make the lighter blues pop, IMHO. You do whatever makes you happy. Have a great rest of the week, hugs, Pam.

QuiltGranma said...

Be reassured that Plus blocks are just simplified 9-patches. Once you get going they are fine.

Jane said...

Hi Mari,
Hope you get your lights sorted soon.
Regarding the hexies, have a look at stitchedincolor.com at the postings on December 16 and 18 last year.
I hadn’t seen before the way she stitched them down by machine, looks really wonderful.
Jane

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Fingers crossed for lights!!
That little Hippo!! How colorful and adorable - and wow - he really illuminates your snow!! I bet your Bokeh quilt is going to be so pretty in those colors - reminds me of spring!

Preeti said...

That is a very Happy Hippo :-) Looks beautiful in your snowy backyard. You do EPP??? I am impressed :-O and I love love love the floral fabric beneath the solids.

scraphappy said...

Hope your lights are back up and working soon. Adorable little hippo!