Friday, February 19, 2021

Some brightness in the gray

 Hi everyone! I sincerely hope that all of you are warm and have running water. I know that a lot of the country is quite cold right now, and many of you in Texas are in real crisis. Know that I feel for you, truly. I went to college in Ft. Worth, and I can only imagine the situation. We have been really cold for Maryland, but thankfully we are all good here. I hope things are getting better where you are, too.

On to something happier and much, much lighter-- I finished another quilt. Yay me! Here she is:

 

Yep, we have our share of ice and snow right now, too. This is a baby-sized quilt that finished about 41 by 42. The top was made in 2019 from blocks that I made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in -gulp!- 2018.  We all know I'm slow on these things, right? But they really do get finished eventually!
 

 I don't know why I waited so long, because this was so darned simple to finish. I straight-line quilted a cross hatch with a walking foot across the blocks in both directions. It was easy, and I like the way the grid is opposite the blocks. And it makes squares like the fabric in the setting triangles, too!


The backing is a fun daisy print on turquoise, so I had to finish it with a bright yellow binding. I almost never use a backing that dark, but it just seemed right for this quilt, and I love how it turned out.

 
When I made these blocks (way back when, sheesh!) I called them hollow 9-patches, and I would make them again in a heartbeat. They are so cute, and all scraps, and they turned into a great quilt for a tiny person. I'm calling this quilt Bright Hollows, but very soon a tiny human will be calling it her own.

 
This quilt is going to a new little girl whose parents have been waiting and trying for her for a very long time. She isn't ours, but she is the granddaughter of good friends, and I know she will be loved and wrapped up in this quilt right after it gets there. I can already picture grandma having a tea party on this quilt, and. . .hold on, there's something in my eye. . .

As I said at the beginning, I hope that all of you are staying warm and dry, and surviving both the cold and the pandemic really well. Hang in there, and know that we're all thinking of you. 
 
 
Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, and Finished or Not Friday.

28 comments:

ButterZ said...

This is a beautiful quilt Mari. It will be loved.

karenbbsnow said...

Great finish and awesome photos in the snow!

piecefulwendy said...

Perhaps the finish was timed just right - waiting for that little one's arrival. It's a lovely quilt, Mari. I like the setting triangles in that happy confetti of colors! The backing is perfect, as is the yellow binding, too. Great finish!

Sara said...

What a cute baby quilt. Hollow 9-patch - what a great idea for using scraps. And the simple quilting lets the pattern and color be the star. It will be a well loved quilt.

Sharon Kwilter said...

I love how that turned out. I really need to plan another scrap project; my scraps have exceeded my storage tub and are now running onto the floor.

MissPat said...

I remember these blocks. I'm glad they've been made into a quilt and that the quilt has found a home. We have family in the Houston area and they are managing. Both households lost power for a while, but no water issues or burst pipes. But I think the novelty of snow has worn off already.
Pat

gayle said...

What a beauty! And that print you found for the setting triangles (would they be 'polka squares' rather than 'polka dots'?) is absolutely perfect!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a cheerful RSC quilt finish, Mari!! Know that you aren't alone in those old blocks sets sitting and waiting to be completed into a quilt. I'm right there with you!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a wonderful quilt, Mari! I loved your close-ups of the fun scraps, and your perfect sashing and background fabrics. It will definitely be loved by this new little one!

QuiltGranma said...

What a happy little quilt for a happy new family of 3!

scraphappy said...

Such a beautiful finish. It is nice to have a nice stash of rainbow blocks hanging around for when you need a gift. It sounds like this will be for a special baby.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh I love it! The setting triangle fabric is perfect and the on point setting makes the blocks sparkle like diamonds! The backing is so pretty and the quilting really enhances the design! Love the photography too! Can you tell that I love it?!?!
So wonderful that this treasure will be going to a special baby!

KaHolly said...

An adorable quilt and the perfect way to use up (a few) scraps. Here in Texas, we are through the worst of it and looking forward to warming weather. Thanks for your concern!

Ivani said...

What so beautiful and bright quilt! Love all the photos, Mari.
This is a quilt for a so much loved little one. Well done!
Stay Safe and warm.

Maggie said...

What a beautiful quilt and story. It is always such a blessing when the little one has been waited for for such a long-time.

Linda said...

A beautiful quilt and perfect for a long wanted baby girl. I love the daisies on turquoise background fabric! A gorgeous finish for those RSC blocks.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Congratulations on such a bright, sweet baby quilt finish. I love the backing, and the binding is perfect with it. I'm sure the new baby and her family will love it.

grammajudyb said...

This!! This quilt is the reason I make Hollow Nine patches! I love,love, love it!

Cathy Tomm said...

What a sweet little quilt. Great finish for the The rainbow scrap challenge. I am up north and Yes poor south, I can not image.

Jennifer said...

great quilt- congrats on the finish! i did hollow RSC 9 patches, too, and really love the blocks. i'm sure the little girl (and grandma!) will be thrilled as well.

Jenny said...

Love, love, love those hollow nine patch locks, and how wonderful the quilt will be going to a very special child.

Bernie Kringel said...

This is such a sweet quilt Mari. Love the nine patch with white centers. Takes that block and makes it look so different! I also love the backing fabric. It is adorable. Well done and the perfect gift for your friend.

Vivian said...

Yay You! This is a sweet little quilt and some little one is really going to love this blankie. Doesn't matter how long it takes to get to a finish as long as it gets finished (she says, eyeing her pile of WIS, UFOS and TBQs)! Makes it excited all over again that I'm finally getting started doing RSC.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great finish! 2018 wasn't that long ago.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love it - and it needed to hang out a while so the perfect baby came for it!! love it!!

Susie H said...

So sweet and it already has a sweet place to go. Her parents will treasure this quilt, I'm sure.

Preeti said...

This bright and cheerful quilt may be responsible for the warmer temperatures in these parts :-) The ice and snow are melting and the weather is just perfect. The brown tree and the snow covered backyard is the perfect set-up for this darling quilt. Love it!!!

June D said...

What a sweet quilt! Such good ideas. Really like the way the sashing goes into the border. Thank you for sharing!