Friday, August 19, 2022

Positively handsome

 Hi all! Every year I forget just how exhausting it is to get ready for a new academic year. How is this possible? I've done this a lot of times, so I should know by now, but somehow, I always leave things for the last minute. This is what I've been doing all week instead of sewing or literally any other fun stuff. I know you'll all understand when I say that I really need more summer. Come back, summer! We need more rest in the sunshine!

Ah, well. I've been trying to finish up the summer quilts, and today is the day for the beauty shots of this year's Positivity quilt. Here is the handsome fellow himself:


Pretty good looking, huh? I quilted this one in a nice meander in a medium beige thread and it is so, so soft. The very definition of a comfort quilt, really.


The hidden quilt holder in these pictures is Preeti, who came over one afternoon and held the quilt so I didn't have to pin it to a tree. The fabric is from an old line called Woodroses in Winter by Holly Taylor. (I think) Years ago, I fell into that spell that comes over you when you're with friends and you buy fabric you would never buy otherwise, so I had a bunch of it. I've been trying to use it up ever since. I'm happy to finally see it go into a quilt that will bring someone comfort at a hard time. 


The backing for this quilt is a vintage sheet, which is 100% cotton and very soft. It was perfect for this quilt, and it quilted up really nicely. The binding is just more of the red. Unbelievably, I still have about half a yard of the red left over! I think it was the right choice for binding this quilt.


I like how the twisty blocks turned out, with the secondary pattern, and I am really happy with how the panel pieces worked, too. I was afraid it would look weird, but now I think they really enhance the whole quilt.
 

Some of you may be wondering about the red and whether it would bleed. I actually washed it before I stitched it at all, and then I washed the quilt before I sent it off. It had dragged on the ground, after all. Miracle of miracles, there was no bleeding in the finished quilt! 
 

So it's off to Mercyful Quilts for this quilt, with a prayer for the eventual recipient. I hope someone finds this very red and very soft quilt very cozy and comforting. 

Hope you all have a great weekend. I'm going to try to work on some rainbow scrap challenge projects this weekend and rest my brain a bit. My niece is also stopping by on her way home from vacation, so that will be fun too. I'm thinking there will be ice cream, which is always good, isn't it? And I've finished up more of the summer quilts, too, so more fun finishes are coming!


Sharing at Finished or not Friday, the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique, and the Positivity linkup at Needle and Foot.

18 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, I love how your Positivity quilt turned out. it really is a great-looking piece. Congrats! And how luck are you and Preeti to live close enough to each other so that you can hang out now and then!

Preeti said...

I am loving your names, Mari. First there was Accidentally Modern and now Positively Handsome. What about the quilts themselves, you ask. Well, I have always loved your quilts. I don't model for just anyone, you know :-D It was fun climbing that jungle gym structure to hold the quilts. I love how you added your very touch with those panels. They make the quilt come alive. Good Luck with school. When do we retire? Seriously Pondering.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Those panels are perfect for this quilt, they don't shout at you but add some interest. Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it is neat that you and Preeti live close enough to visit! The quilt turned out good have a great school year and hope it won't be too stressful with so many schools instating new rules for this and that.

grammajudyb said...

I love Positively Handsome quilt! The use of the panel pieces was genius! So so pretty! Your glamour shots are great!

Sara said...

It’s beautiful and someone will be over the moon to receive such a pretty quilt. That is a simple but perfect use of the panel pieces. Great job on this! Hope you get some good “brain rest” time in over the weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is definitely a handsome quilt, Mari! I love the colors you used, and the addition of the bird panels, too. And how fun to have Preeti herself as a quilt holder, too! Wishing you a restful weekend!

Susie H said...

He most certainly is a handsome fella! Love how you reversed the light & dark and then added the bonus blocks. Truly a wonderful addition. I'm sewing the binding on my Mercyful Quilt right now! Good for you got get it finished and mailed off!!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's a lovely quilt and I'm sure it'll be very snuggled and loved.

piecefulwendy said...

A great finish, Mari! I like the inclusion of those panels; I think it works well. How fun that you and Preeti were together for the finish photos!

Ivani said...

Definitely a charm quilt that for sure will be loved.
You and Pretti are lucky to live close, how cool is this?!
I do agree with you, I am that kind of person who needs more Summer in my life.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm sure that the quilt will go to the perfect person, and all the love, thought, care, and prayers you put into it will be felt and meaningful to them.

Kathleen said...

This is a great quilt for the Positivity QAL. I love the panels that you used and the way it creates other areas of interest. So nice to have Ms. Positivity QAL as the holder!

Bernie Kringel said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Mari you have been such a wonderful supporter of Mercyful Quilts. There aren't the right words for my gratitude! This one is beautiful. I love the colors and the panel pieces. I have backed a number of quilts with vintage sheets because the fabric is already soft and cozy. Plus it is really economical.

Well done and so appreciated! XOXOXOX

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It turned out so great! and nice that it did not bleed!!

Sharon Kwilter said...

It's lovely. I think it's a very nice donation quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That really turned out great, Mari!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a beautiful, and cozy-looking quilt! I love the quilting design too, just perfect. Well done on this lovely finish!
Thank you for sharing ;)