Saturday, August 6, 2022

Orange and purple flock

 Hello all! So here we are at August, which means that the end of summer is coming faster than we think. In honor of that, while you are reading this, the hubster and I are off on our last summer adventure, to a place where the chances of rain are much lower than they are at home, so I'm hoping for blue skies and cool breezes.
 
Before we left I finished up the orange and purple birds for the rainbow scrap challenge, so here they all are together:


Yes, it is not a great picture! One of the poor birds is so embarrassed that she's hiding in the back. I tried to get a picture all together out in the tree, but that takes time to arrange, and it was about to rain, so I hurried a bit. The sky opened up right after this, so here is an indoor picture where you can see all the birds:

 
Birds in the house! A little boring, but at least you can see everyone. I love these birds, and I've had fun making them. I think I've got just about enough to put them together by now. I'll have to put them all up on the wall to see for sure, but it's very close.


The orange birds certainly look like a happy bunch, don't they? I made a mistake and made three of them facing the same way instead of only two, but I think they'll forgive me for it. I love the bright red beak on the one on the right! The beaks really give them some personality, don't you think?


Since we live in Baltimore, I had to make an orange bird that looked at least a little bit like a Baltimore oriole, too. Come to think of it, I should make a raven, too, shouldn't I? Strangely, I have not yet seen an oriole in person in Maryland, though I have seen some interesting birds, including the herons that like the stream that runs near our house. I think they're green herons, but I haven't looked them up yet. 


The purple birds are left over from last month, but they are a fairly festive bunch as well. Look at that wild plumage! These are not purple martins, that's for sure. A couple of these turned out smaller than intended because I cut them wrong, but I won't tell them that they're short if you don't.

And there are the birds! Hope you all are having a lovely last couple of weeks of summer and packing in all the fun you can. Hope you're in the sunshine with a nice cool drink, or at least in some air conditioning!
 
Oops! Updated to add that the birds are made using Lynne's Liberated Birds tutorial, which you can find right HERE. An excellent purchase for these very addictive birds!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC22.

22 comments:

Cathy said...

The birds are just delightful. You used such beautiful, colorful fabrics.

Marly said...

I love your colourful aviary. I like the birds so much I want to make them too! Where did you find the pattern?

Robin said...

Those birds are adorable! Such personality!

Ivani said...

Those birds are so cute, Mari.
Enjoy the last Summer adventure.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the birds look great have a nice vacation!

grammajudyb said...

Your birds are fabulous. Have a fantastic time during your getaway!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those birds - so fun to see them! I think fabric birds are the ONLY kind you should have in the house, Mari. Have a wonderful end-of-summer adventure - we can offer blue skies out here in Colorado, but lately no cool breezes - so that sounds delightful!

piecefulwendy said...

Have a great trip! I hope you enjoy every minute! Those birds are so cute - I look forward to seeing them all together in a quilt top!

MissPat said...

Your flock of birds is delightful. And birds come in all different sizes. When Lynne made her last bird quilt with blocks sent in by quilters who bought her pattern, the birds came in all shapes and sizes. Hope you have a wonderful end of summer adventure and that the school year approaches some sense of normality.
Pat

Deb said...

Love all those birds.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

These birds are awesome. As a bird lover and amateur photographer of birds, I admire these fabric renderings so much.

Kim said...

Oh, my goodness! Those are such cute birds. You did beautifully.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's a fabulous flock! I love the photo of the birds in the trees!

Jenny said...

Those birds look wonderful together, I sure they will have fun doing their birdy stuff, chirping, eating seeds, flying around, before they settle down to life in your quilt. You have such a wonderful selection, I'm sure they were fun to stitch.

Kathy S. said...

The birds are great. That was one of my favorite Block Lotto blocks.

Kathleen said...

I love your bright birds!! I've seen these birds on other blogs. I wonder if I have the pattern on my computer somewhere. I'd like to make bright ones like yours.
Kathleen -- kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Laura said...

I love your birds...each and every one of them! :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

WONDERFUL flock of birds. For Kathleen and others - these are from a tutorial by Lynne Tyler who has an Etsy shop (Patchery Menagerie). The block lotto bird was actually inspired by Lynne's early birds (back before she wrote the tutorial).

Susie H said...

Love the birds. One of the best group from RSC in my opinion. They are going to flock together to make a gorgeous quilt one day. Enjoy your day, wherever it involved!

Millie said...

Great birds! Glad you are enjoying making them.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your birds are adorable!!! What a great RSC project! Interesting that you haven't seen an oriole in your area. We usually see them in the spring, coming through, but have to remember to put grape jelly and an orange out.

Bernie Kringel said...

Just love these blocks Mari and I can't wait to see a flimsy with them. Going to be one of my favorites of your pieces!!!