Saturday, November 5, 2022

Sparkly stars

 Hi everyone! Somehow, it was 72 degrees here today. Has someone checked to be sure it's November? I know some people have had snow already, but it looks like we're sticking with rain and above average temperatures for the next little bit. Totally okay with me, except for the leaves that keep falling.
 
I've got a finished top to show off today. It's my stars top from this year's rainbow scrap challenge, and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. Here she is:
 
 
Well, that is different, isn't it? But quite sparkly! Not at all what I thought I would get at the beginning of this year, but this year itself has not been what I thought it would be. Looking at it hanging up like that, I think it needs a narrow border all around, like 3 inches or so, just to make it look more finished.


These are the stars I made all year, plus one more that I made to finish out a row. The stars are 9 inches finished, and you can get Angela's directions for making them right HERE. Mine are, of course, a little different because I used the white square in the center instead of another scrap. I like the open and lacy look, and it sure makes this layout very sparkly.


You may notice that not all the colors are in this quilt top. That's because I sat down to make some orange and some bright green stars (both great colors for stars, by the way) and it just made me tired, so I thought "what if I didn't?" What if I didn't make more stars and just challenged myself to come up with a new layout that used only what I had?
 
 
I felt energized right away, and then started laying out the stars in a rough pattern. As I made it, I cleaned things up so that it's actually symetrical, with the bottom section a mirror of the top section, with a different row right there in the middle To finish off that middle row, I had to add in another star, but I'm not telling which one it is. I'm just really, really pleased with the way that it turned out, even though it doesn't have any orange stars.

One RSC project down, two more to complete! I have a very good idea about the birds, and I finished off the orange round on the medallion quilt. The final border for that one is paper pieced, so it's taking a little longer, but it's going to be spectacular.


Hope you all have a spectacular weekend, no matter the weather. It's November, though, so it's probably best to hedge your bets and just stay in and sew. With some chocolate on the side, of course!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC22.
 

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

yes, the weather has been beautiful and warm for november! here in PA, too.... i love your sparkly star quilt- the eclectic layout is just what it needed! i have some finishes to share this week, too! finally getting a bit of time in the sewing room in the evenings- just what i needed!

karenbbsnow said...

The layout is perfect, very effective.

Susie H said...

I love how you worked out the layout for Scrappy Stars. The open centers were a good option too. Congratulations on the finish!

Nancy in Indiana said...

It looks lovely! I love that you left some open white spaces - the idea never would have occurred to me, but it works so well. I also like the thought of considering "What if I didn't?" in various areas of life, beyond quilting.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a lot of RSC tops to finish up over the next couple months - the one show is great looking. Here it was 80 yesterday and will be in the 60's today - fall weather just keeps going up and down here

scraphappy said...

It is a sparkly top. What a fun layout idea. I am always a fan of making due with what I have. Must be a common trait amongst quilters.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The layout is wonderful- love the random, assymetrical beauty of the stars.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sparkly Stars turned out wonderfully, Mari! I've always liked how you made these stars with the white centers and consistent yellow stars. Fun layout, too. I'll enjoy seeing how you quilt this one!

JanineMarie said...

Mari, I've been away from social media a lot in the last couple of months, and just discovered that you lost your mother. My condolences to you and your family. I do hope your memories are comforting and that you have had time to find your way through the grieving process. It's good to see that you are quilting. Best therapy ever! I like how you made your stars sparkly with those light centers.

LA Paylor said...

very interesting composition/arrangement.... love
I also like the yellow stars in the colored stars. Yes to a border or two. It would look so good on a bed as well.


Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! Sparkly stars are just fab - should they be any other way than sparkly?! The layout works nicely, and getting a finish is a wonderful feelings. You are an inspiration. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Jenny said...

I think you have come up with a great idea for the layout, using the stars you have, and spacing them out. I like that it is symmetrical, top and bottom.

Ivani said...

What a great idea and beautiful layout, Mary!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love your random layout, Mari!!!

grammajudyb said...

I agree with Nancy, I love the random layout! Inspired!!! I need to remember that I can do it the way I want.....
ps: I think a little border would be a great finish.

Kate said...

Love the unique setting for those star blocks! Congrats on working through the frustration to a beautiful finish.

Preeti said...

Fairly happy??? Oh my goodness, gracious, woman!!! What is the matter with you? I am thrilled with this finish of yours and I have yet to see it in person. Asymmetry and negative space - are you becoming a modern quilter :-p At least leaning away from your very firmly traditional self, I hope. I am looking forward to your next finish - RSC or anything else for that matter. I am sure I will be at least fairly happy with it :-D
It is November and holidays season goodies are here. Lidl has marzipan fruits that you like and I got some in the hopes that if I buy, she may come :-)

Kathleen said...

I love this! It is fun and open and a really cheery quilt. We have had the same crazy temps in Massachusetts and Maine! It has been incredible.

Sara said...

I'm in LOVE with how you laid out those Twinkle Star blocks!!! You've given me a whole new plan for next year of RSC block making. I already knew I would keep making the Twinkle Star blocks, but now I need to leave off the outer corner triangles on my next ones and steal your layout idea. This is amazing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Super sparkly and very fun - good for you for using what you had already made and turning them into a wonderfully unique layout!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its awesome!!! I love how the stars are so sparkly and stand out so well!!!