Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Holiday project

 Hi all, and happy Thanksgiving to everyone here in the US! Okay, I know it's tomorrow, but isn't today the day we all start cooking? And if you didn't remember to take the turkey out of the freezer yet, well, I'm sorry about that. We always get the turkey on Monday so it never goes in the freezer and is nice and defrosted by Thursday morning. This year there were only big ones left, so it looks like we will be having a lot of turkey!

Since I have a little time this week with all of my students having run home or someplace other than campus, I finally started a project that has been on my mind for a while. It's slow going, but a nice diversion. Here is my first block:

 
Yes, I finally worked up the courage to cut up the saved baby clothes and start a memory quilt. It was not as hard as I thought and it brought back some fun memories. Anyone else make appliques like that for sweatshirts way back when? 


I decided that I needed some structure for this quilt, so I'm using the Scattered pattern from Connie at Freemotion by the River, which you can get right HERE. It has nice sized pieces, though I have been fussy cutting some of the front pieces instead of following the directions. And yes, the pieces all have interfacing, just like T-shirt quilts. It's kind of a pain, but the results are good.


As you can see from the pile above, I have a ways to go, but I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the year. It's nice to take it a little slow, plus I really need to wash some of those dresses. And sometimes I miss the little kids I used to have, so I need to stop for a bit.


The other thing I've been working on is the Solstice Sampler from Alderwood Studio. Amazingly, I have kept up. The block on the left above took forever, and I cannot read directions, so I might remake it. There are supposed to be rays of a different color surrounding the star, but somehow I missed that. Do you think I could just piece those in without having to remake the whole darned thing?


I took a couple of pictures of those blocks outside, but it was very windy. I put one of the not-too-bad one on IG, but if you look closely at the background of the picture above, you might find a couple of our deer friends, wondering just what is going on, and if the blocks might be tasty.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving, and be safe if you are going over the river or through the woods. I'm off to make pie!

Sharing at Midweek Makers.

14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I find each year that I do less and less tradition for Thanksgiving and smaller and smaller meal. I got a frozen turkey breast that can be stuffed and I think it will be just the two of us and one daughter over for desert and then go for the weekend to the other daughter. I guess one day I will just say why bother and just make pie instead!

Twin Violet said...

It is lovely as is. Don't remake it.

piecefulwendy said...

I would imagine working through those little clothes can be a little emotional. I have a bin tucked away of our favorites, and should probably do something similar someday. Oh bummer on the Solstice block, missing that part. I hope you can figure out how to fix it without resewing - or just go with it the way it is, which looks great, too! Happy Thanksgiving, Mari, to you and your family! Enjoy the pie!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a nice block just as it is. You can always say it was your choice to make it this way but most people will never know there was a different way to make it. This is your quilt with inspiration from the designer.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Sara said...

The baby clothes project will be such a sweet memento. Adorable!

Enjoy the holiday break!

Bonnie said...

Those blocks are great. As for remaking the one ... not too many people would realize the block isn't how it is on the pattern. If you want to challenge yourself -- go for it. But otherwise it is lovely the way it is. It was a real exercise in camouflage trying to find the deer(s). I think I found one. He (they?) sure blend in well with the background... Happy T day to you and yours.

Susie H said...

Happy Thanksgiving back to you and your family. Your Solstice blocks look good and it's always a pleasure to take a trip down Memory Lane. My pies are done as is my my Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce. The turkey is just about ready to be roasted tomorrow. We will celebrate with just the three of us: Mom, hubby, and me. Then on Friday we will gather with hubby's side of the family for Friends/Fam-giving. It's also hubby's and my 44th wedding anniversary. Busy holiday weekend! Again, Happy Thanksgiving to you and hug the ones around you.

Laura said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

The block looks great! Leave it unless it is going to bother you. Love what you are doing with the baby clothes!

Kathleen said...

I wouldn't try to take that block apart and insert color. I'd make a new one if it bothers you. Put the other one on the back of the quilt.
Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Quiltdivajulie said...

Solstice - I think I would be tempted to wait until all the blocks are done before making a decision on. The rays block may be just fine but if not, you can make an educated decision about how to replace it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mari! I hope you've had a lovely day - and lots of pie! Your memory quilt is going to be really fun. My mom used to do applique on sweatshirts - I had several of them and so did each of our kids. And your Soltice blocks are amazing and so intricate. If you hadn't mentioned that the one should have had different colored rays around the star, I wouldn't have even thought they should be! :)

Bernie Kringel said...

I love the solstice block just like it is. If it were me, I would leave it as is. It is so pretty.
I am such a saver but I didn't save baby clothes. I think because I passed them around between the kids and they were a mess by the time the third boy wore them! Julia's clothes were always passed to a cousin who is a year younger so this type of project will not happen for me - I would think it might get a little emotional while going through all the little things. It is also a nice way to treasure that time of life.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Memory quilts can be SEW challenging! Glad that you found a plan to work from so that you won't have to strain your brain with the calculations that can sometimes be required. I need to remember this for the next one I need to make!

Kate said...

What a fun memory quilt! I'm decluttering and trying to decide if it's time to take all of Grad Girl's sports uniforms and try to make a memory quilt. Hope you've found lots of good recipes for all the left over turkey.