Saturday, December 24, 2022

Icy and blue and holidays too

 Hello all, and welcome to a very windy and wintry day! I know that a bunch of you are experiencing the same things, including in places where it's not usually so cold. Kind of bracing, isn't it? We had rain but not snow, then the front came through with blue skies and cold temps. It looks lovely, but it is quite chilly!

UPDATE: Posting from Panera! Yesterday, just as I was about to publish this post, we lost power. It's still out and is now 43 degrees in our house! Expected to be back on tomorrow by 3 pm-- Christmas Day. Merry Christmas to us! Everyone stay warm!

Today I have just a simple quilt top finish, and that will wind up the quilts for this year. It's time to get to the merry-making, you know? I tried to take pictures yesterday, but rain, then today it was wind. Ah, well, you'll get the idea:

 
This is the only outdoor picture I could get because of the wind, and you can see how it's pasting the quilt top to the bench. This is the simple buffalo plaid I made to use up the pieces of a a quilt that I had cut but no longer had a real interest in making. I made a table topper with the finished blocks and repurposed everything else.


These plaids are very simple but very satisfying quilts. They're easy and very meditative to create, and always turn out great. I had mine cut in squares from the planned quilt, so it took a little more time, but I know from experience that strip piecing makes it go very fast.


And that pretty much winds up the quilty year for me! It's a nice, soothing way to finish, and I hope to quilt this with some other small ones I have basted over the rest of the holiday. Plus, here's a sneak peek of another repurposed project that may get some love:


So many ideas! And you can see that it was blowing around, too.


All the best from our house to yours, and a happy holiday, no matter what you celebrate. Have some cookies and tea and put your feet up-- the best way to make merry!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or Not Friday, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique.
 

9 comments:

Sara said...

The plaid quilt is a terrific way to use a print you don't want to cut too small. But also works with small prints. It's just the colors that make it special. I really like it.

We finally have sunshine and NO wind. Not all roads are open, and the temps are still below zero. But the blizzard has move on east. Glad we are not trying to gather the family this weekend. By next weekend however we might have snow again to mess up the kids travel plans. Oh well . . .

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mari, I'm so sorry to hear about your power being out and how cold your house is! I bet you've gotten out ALL the quilts to wrap up in. Stay safe and warm! That is a beautiful quilt - I love the blue plaid effect. Merry Christmas!

ButterZ said...

Lovely quilts. Especially the ships regatta.
Merry Christmas to you and family. Have a happy and safe festive season.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

OMG 43 in the house and out of power since yesterday that is awful - how ever are you staying warm enough. I do hope it comes on soon - this winter storm has affected a lot of people across the states.

Susie H said...

My daughter has a friend whose mother lives in your area. She also lost power. 43 degrees is too cold in a house, I hope you unplugged your electronics and headed somewhere with heat. Your blue plaid quilt is sweet. I love the simplicity of the design. Merry WARM Christmas wishes to you.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I do love a gingham quilt!!! Beautiful colors!!! Oh, those cute sailboats, in descending size!!! Merry Christmas, Mari!!!

piecefulwendy said...

The gingham quilt might be in frosty blues, but it looks inviting for a good snuggle. Your ship blocks make me think of the tall ships that come into harbor in Duluth each summer. Merry Christmas, Mari, to you and your family!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the blue and white gingham! I need to make one in pink and white and green . . . wishing you and yours peace and wellness (and sanity) during the coming year.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

43 is just a tad chilly ( okay A LOT) I hope it warmed back up for you!!!
Love the Gingham quilt - Blues are one of my favorites and it turned out so happy!!!