Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Feeling kinda modern

 Hi everyone! How are you doing these days? Things have not been too snappy here at chez AQ, topped off with a root canal and then final exams. Talk about piling on! But we're not going to dwell on the negative and instead we're just going to look at a nice quilt top I finished off this week.It's a little modern and a little different for me, but it turned out quite well and I'm pretty happy with it.

Here is my finished Solstice Sampler quilt top:


Yahoo! I can't believe I kept up with this sewalong and actually finished the top in a reasonable time. This is the Solstice Sampler organized by Alderwood Studio, and you can get the instructions and patterns right HERE, but only until December 31. After that some of the designers will be selling their patterns, so grab them while you can. 


I started this project to distract me from some of my troubles, but I'm really surprised at how much I like the finished product. Some of the blocks are very modern, but most of them are different takes on traditional. This top is just about 60 by 60 and will get a binding from that same blue if I can eke it out of the scraps. Also, I really need to use more batiks. Note to self: go fabric shopping.
 

Of course, I had to modify some of the blocks to make them fit my own feelings, too. For example, the original design of the block in the bottom left corner had more floating elements that just reminded me of the floating candles in the Harry Potter movies, so those had to go and everything else got shifted around. I like how it turned out, though, and it's close to the original.


The problem child of this quilt was the center star block above, which I remade because the original (in THIS post) just looked like a hole in the quilt. It was paper pieced and came together well enough, but it took forever (at least four hours) to make each copy of the block. So many pieces! Maddening. But at least it looks good in the quilt now! I saved the first one and am going to turn it into a small pillow or something, too.


So there we are, another quilt top finished! I have amassed a big stack now, so it's time to rent some longarm time and get a bunch of things finished up. Sounds like a good way to spend the rest of the year, doesn't it? 

Hope you all are doing well and getting ready for the big holiday that I would like to skip this year. I won't, but it's very tempting. For right now, though, I have to find a small rake or something to clean the carpet in the sewing room. There is thread and little bits of paper-piecing paper everywhere!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or Not Friday, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique.

21 comments:

Ivani said...

It is beautiful, Mari.
I am sure you will have a great longarm time.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations on this quilt top - striking but you are right about it being quite different from others you have shared. Hope the blue scraps work out for the binding! (And DH has an appointment next week with the oral surgeon to “evaluate” a distressed tooth which the dentist has already identified as a candidate for extraction/implant - he is not excited )

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mari, it's good to hear from you! That is such a beautiful quilt top. I've been admiring those blocks as you've shared them along the way - they are very intricate! I definitely understand why you wanted to redo the center block, and really like how it looks now. Have fun with your quilting marathon!

Astrid said...

That's a beautiful quilt top! Glad you redid the center block, yours look much better! Tempting, but I have way too many UFO's to handle, but not before next year. :)

Preeti said...

It is fabulous. I love it. You were true to the original design and still let your individual influences come through. Gorgeous finish! Are you going to Free Motion quilt it?

Julie in GA said...

Your Solstice Sampler quilt top is gorgeous! You made the right choice to remake the center block; it looks fantastic now. Thanks for the links to the patterns. I've been saving them, but don't know when I will start making any.

Susie H said...

I love how Solstice all came together for you. I really like that woven block (top row, center). I was just talking to a guild friend about renting time on a LQS longarm. How easy do you find it to gather up your stuff and go down to the shop to quilt? I think I should take the required class and maybe judge from there. Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated. Hope your week is going well.

piecefulwendy said...

Solstice is very cool, and how fun that you kept up with the QAL and it is a finished top! This has been a year and then some for you, so I an understand why you'd just like to skip Christmas (I recommend watching Christmas with the Kranks - although the book is just as good, maybe better). I hope you find some comfort and joy that you don't expect, to make the season a bit better!

Sara said...

The updated block is just gorgeous and makes such a statement. You're right that the original block just didn't provide any wow factor. That's a fabulous quilt. Great job!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful!!!! It kind of has a stained glass effect with the sun there - Love it!!! Hope you find the rake haha!!
and hugs.... I hope this time of year gets easier somehow

Kathleen said...

I love this quilt. The blocks are fun and interesting and yet there is some nice space in it, too. I love that you need more fabrics. I felt the same looking for particular shades to match a new fabric. It will be fun to see it quilted, and, yes, I think renting some longarm time and finishing a few quilts is a perfect idea. Sympathies on the root canal - am in the process of an implant and a crown - one new and one delayed due to my formerly broken ankle.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wonderful finish, Mari!!! Such unique blocks! And your center block do-over is fabulous!!!

Laura said...

Congratulations, Mari! I am not a huge fan of modern quilts, but I do love batiks, and you have done such a wonderful job with your version! Well done! :)

Cheryl said...

The orange in that center star just lights up the whole quilt! Perfect!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Looks wonderful. Great finish.

Kate said...

Wow! You ended up with a gorgeous finish! Congratulations on getting it completed in a timely manner (that's usually my downfall). I've had troubles getting into the holiday this year too, it's just been one of the years. So you are not alone. Wishing you some holiday cheer and some good stitching time to help with that.

Sandy Panagos said...

This quilt is gorgeous. Your fabric choices really make it! You were definitely right to change the center block.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

How fun, I was just saving the last instructions earlier in the day! I absolutely love your version, and I may follow these patterns one day as well ;) The central block is beautiful, the shining star makes the center so vibrant.
Have fun with the quilting!
Thank you for sharing this beauty, and linking up.

Bernie Kringel said...

This is so beautiful - It seems out of your comfort zone but wow, the colors are amazing as are the block patterns. I love it Mari.

JanineMarie said...

This is so pretty, Mari, and I can just imagine how much fun it will be to longarm. Your colors are so right for winter, with the fresh blue and white and just enough of other colors. It just lights up. I'm sorry that you've been feeling poorly and a bit low, but it does look like quilting therapy has been good to you. Enjoy your time off and the holiday season. I hope it will be refreshing for you.

Bonnie said...

Wonderful top. I really like the center star -- it might have been a pain to redo it but this one is spectacular. Here's a HUG for you during this holiday season. It seems to me you need a few extra ones.