Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Centering a block

 Hi all! How is your week going? I've been getting ready for the start of classes, so I've had a lot of computer time. And today I requested like a dozen books from the library, so I had some fun in there, too. Not all of them are fun books, some are for work, but some are for reading on the sofa on a rainy January day.

For the last couple of years, Quilting Gail and some friends have run a fun project called the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR). The idea is a lot like round robins, except you work on your own quilt and don't mail it anywhere. There are different borders to work on each week, and it does require some creativity to interpret the border for that week. I'm not explaining it well, but you get the idea! I wasn't sure I was going to participate this year, but it's fun and interesting, so I am jumping in. Here is my center block:


Wow, it's a big one! It's about 20 inches square, I think. For the last couple of years I've started with a printed block and the quilts turned out great. (Check them out HERE and HERE.) I have had this panel for a long time and it's time to get it used up. This was part of a kit that I never made, though the fabric was quite pretty. I'm going to use this lovely pile of scraps, which coordinate pretty well:


Not my usual colors! But I have the fabric, so I might as well use it, right? The other two quilts were donations, so I hope this one becomes a larger-size donation quilt. There is a big donation event coming up later in the spring, if I remember right.

The other thing I'm working on is is getting that blue bin emptied. This is where my pieces are right now:


I'm almost to the end of that bin! Hurray! Hope you're all having a wonderful week, and getting some stitches in. Classes start pretty soon, so I better go and get my stuff ready! 

Sharing at Quilting Gail for the SAHRR.

14 comments:

Astrid said...

Love the colorful center panel and great you have some coordinating fabric to match. I really like the folk art theme, beautiful. Love your previous SAHRR, fun quilts. Have fun doing the SAHRR! Can't wait to see what you are doing next. I'd love to peak into your library! Can't imagine a home without books.

Kate said...

A very cool center for your SAHRR. You've picked a bright and fun color palette. Looking forward to seeing your borders come together.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very cool Center block!!

Bernie Kringel said...

Mari, I really like this block you chose to start with. Love the colors and the sweet design. Good choice!!

Debbie said...

What a beautiful panel. It looks a lot like jacobean style pattern ( something I have always admired and wanted to embroider). It will make a wonderful quilt. Can't wait to see what you make of it.

chrisknits said...

It will be such a wonderful center to start with!!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! WOWEE! That is quite a center! Look at all the wonderful colors and all the scraps you'll be able to use up. I loved your end project from last year so I have NO DOUBT that this will be equally fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us for year three! I look forward to watching your progress. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

grammajudyb said...

Oh I can’t wait to see this one grow and progress! You do an amazing job on the SAHRR!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a great idea - to use a panel piece for your center block! This one is really pretty, Mari, and lots of colors will work with it, too. I'll enjoy seeing your SAHRR develop!

Susie Q said...

Part of a kit that I never made..... I can relate to that!!! The panel if beautiful.

Kathleen said...

That center panel will be fun for SAHRR! You will have lots of great colors to work with. Love the blue/yellow scrap blocks too. You are busy sewing and that is always fun to see.

Susie H said...

I love the idea of using a panel. The previous 2 are so sweet and this one is sure to be a looker! Great cache of scraps to accent all the colors. A trip to the library is always so fun. Have a great finish to your week!

Quilting Gail said...

Your centre block is fantastic! And with all the coordinating fabric you've pulled, you're going to have a beautiful, beautiful quilt! (again!)
Thank you for joining SAHRR and for linking up!

piecefulwendy said...

Holey moley - how have I missed all these posts (sorry!!). That center block is amazing! That blue/yellow project is looking good too. My blue bin is overflowing - you want me to send you some? LOL