Thursday, January 26, 2023

Jazzing up January

 Hi everyone! How are things going for you? We are experiencing the grays of January. You know what I mean-- sometimes it rains, sometimes it's just cloudy, sometimes it snows, but mostly it's just gray. We did have actual rain and a few spits of snow this week, but nothing stuck to the ground. That's totally okay with me! Sometimes I miss it, but I do not miss shoveling.

What with all the January-ness around, and having spent a bunch of time with a non-favorite color, I decided to pull out something bright and happy this week. I ended up quilting up this fun toddler-size quilt:


Doesn't that just raise your spirits? This is a quilt I made to test Preeti's pattern Arabella's Garden, which you can find right HERE. I had fun making it and even more fun quilting it up. It certainly made me feel happier, and I think it adds to the landscaping outside.


As fun as the front of the quilt is, take a look at the back:


I love this so much. This is a piece of an Eric Carle fabric that I got a long time ago, but I didn't realize the animals would be so big so I didn't use it as planned. It works great as a happy backing for this quilt! I might like it better than the front. It's a close call.


I did a couple of experimental things when quilting this quilt. The first is that I used one of those plastic extension tables that you can buy to fit around your machine bed so that you have a larger sewing surface area. It was a disaster. It was made by my machine's manufacturer and came with the machine, but it just didn't work. It kept moving, and the quilt kept getting snagged on the edge or the end of it. If you look at the picture above, you can see the results of the snagging. I only used the table for half of one stitching line, and I left it in because I didn't feel like ripping and I doubt anyone will notice it.


The other experiemnt was using a poly batting instead of cotton. It worked pretty well! I used Hobbs Poly Down. It has a "hand" like 100% wool and quilted just beautifully, and it makes a really nice texture. Nothing like old poly batting! The only thing I would do next time is zigzag the finished edges before binding because it kept puffing at the edge while I was stitching the binding on. It was a little annoying, but the quilt got bound.


So there was this week's cheerful quilty session, which was much needed since classes also started this week. Along with all the January, I needed the cheerful!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, and that it is colorful and not gray. If it is gray, I prescribe yellow stars. Almost always makes me cheerful!


Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or not Friday, and the Quilting, Patchwork, Applique linkup, too. 

20 comments:

Bernie Kringel said...

This is adorable Mari! I have seen those Eric Carle fabrics and really like them too. Perfect for a fun backing! Great finish. :-)

ButterZ said...

Lovely quilt in beautiful surroundings

Danice G said...

Such a beautiful quilt, and the backing fabric is so pretty too.

Julie in GA said...

Your little quilt is so bright and cheery! Perfect for a dreary January day!

Preeti said...

Joyfully Yours! I saw the beautiful fabrics, brightening the dreary winter landscape. It took me a while to realize it is the Arabella's Garden pattern. You do me proud, sister. Love you so much. Big Squishy Hugs to you. Have an awesome weekend!

Susie H said...

Sweet baby quilt and those twinkling yellow stars would brighten anybody's day or night! Goodbye gloomy grays!

Sara said...

Oh I love it this one! And that backing is perfect with the fun colors of the front. The simple wavy quilting is just what it needed. What a great way to chase away the January grey! We had to drive home last night in a winter storm that arrived much earlier than predicted. Started out in heavy snow with poor visibility, and then for about 50 miles it was OK, then back into freezing rain. Traffic on the interstate was crawling about 30 mph with hazard blinkers going for about 30 miles. And a bigger winter storm is expected tomorrow.

Laura said...

What a delightful quilt! Love the backing...all of those happy little critters! :)

Vicki in MN said...

Fun and bright and your quilting really gives this texture.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is a fun colorful quilt. I really like the wavy quilting that you added.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Fun and bright! Nice quilt!

scraphappy said...

That is a a happy quilt! Just the right amount of sunshine for blue winter days.

PaintedThread said...

That quilt is adorable. Love the colors in it, too!

Kathleen said...

The grays have it for sure but this quilt is chasing them away. Love the colorful front and then the unexpected back is just perfect. Great quilt!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

January is the perfect time to make a wonderful bright quilt! I love all your dotted fabrics, and especially the Eric Carle backing. And of course the pattern is perfect, too! Nice finish!

Bonnie said...

Boy that is a great quilt to cheer up a dreary January day. I really like the last pic with the quilt brightening up your trees. At least you have a little of green vegetation around still. I hear the Mid Atlantic is in for some really cold weather over the next week or two. I wonder if snow is involved or not.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Very fun bright quilt. Great job. It is wonderful to be able to get out some even with the gray days.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a Happy Bright Kids quilt!!! It sure stands out in your forest!!
and the back you chose is perfect - I love it too!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic backing print and I agree about yellow brightening things up. I just love your outdoor photo shoots!!!

piecefulwendy said...

This is such a happy quilt, and I love that backing fabric. Frustrating about the sewing table. I don't have one for mine, but have considered it. I can't see the issue in the quilt, though, so it's all good!