Friday, April 7, 2023

Heading north for spring

 Hello everyone! I hope you have had a really good week. I got so many things done! Sadly, much of it involved cleaning, and also writing assignments, but I did some other things, too. Also, I realized just as I scheduled this to post that today (Friday, April 7) is the ninth anniversary of this blog. Who knew it would last this long? And what a happy accident that I'm posting today. (It really is an accident. I'm not that organized.) I'm thrilled to still be here and see all of you so often. Thanks for sticking around!
 
I did do some sewing this week, and I finished up a really cute baby-sized quilt that just screams spring. Take a look and see if you don't agree: 


Isn't that so fresh and happy that it makes you happy, too? I love the green. It's my favorite Kona color with an unfortunate name-- Cabbage. It doesn't remind me of vegetables at all, but if you look closely at the background where the leaves are popping out, it almost matches that new growth.


This happy little quilt was designed by Sandra of mmm quilts, and I adapted it to fit the pieces I wanted to use. This is adapted from the second quilt in her Heading North pattern, which you can get right HERE. When I say "adapted," I mean that Sandra designed a lovely baby quilt that used different fabrics where I used the strings. I had so many string half triangles that I had to use up that I thought they would work in this pattern. And I think they did!

Sadly, I didn't get other pictures of this little quilt because it started to rain and blow all over. We're expecting huge storms today and I can certainly attest to the thunder. I plan to quilt this one up just as soon as I finish the larger Heading North quilt that I'm also working on. It's really easy, but I'm just procrastinating. 

While I was searching for the Cabbage yardage, I came across another project that uses the same color:

Yikes! I see that one of the 4-patches in the bottom block is making a break for it!

This is a Sunny Lanes top that I started but never finished (is that me or what?) I have way too many of those 4-patches stitched up, and it looks like I stalled out because I have to make more hsts. I think I'll make enough to add to the 4-patches I already have and call the project done. It won't make a big quilt, but if I add some borders it will still be usable.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend! Sunday is Easter, so a happy holiday to those of you who celebrate. We will be playing Easter bunny for our granddaughter and then I have to make a ham dinner. Except for the cooking part, it should be fun!


Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or not Friday, and the Quilting, Patchwork, Applique linkup.

18 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats on a very sweet and bright baby quilt. Love those spring colors. The green really showcases the other colors. Have a very happy Easter.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a cute quilt and congrats on nine years - I had to go look to see when my blog anniversary is because I knew it was coming up

Bernie Kringel said...

Jeez Mari - I am so behind on your posts - I had to go back and read the last four posts.
OK - I am so happy to hear you are finally feeling better. Flu shots are a good thing and I get them every year but this year I have been quite sick several times. Maybe the shot didn't cover the right strains this year?
I love this shade of green and honestly, it does look like the outer leaves of a fresh cabbage to me. Really pretty. The quilt looks great with the string blocks. Super cute.
Hope you all have a fun Easter. We will be with the girls too. Supposed to be very rainy on Sunday though. Wondering how the bunny will deal with that.
Finally - last night I was thinking about my blog and realized this June will make nine years for me as well. Isn't that wild? I am happy I met you through these blogging adventures.

Sandra Walker said...

Eeee!! This made me squeal! I love what you did with the baby quilt in my pattern. It’s still amazes me how the same block gives two completely different vibe and pattern of quilts. Great idea for using the string blocks too! Thank you so much for plug and the beautiful makes!

Sara said...

What an adorable use of those string blocks! And the green is a perfect spring green in spite of the name of the color.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations on 9 years of posting on your blog!!

piecefulwendy said...

That is definitely a Happy Spring quilt! Congrats on celebrating 9 years of blogging - I'm glad you're here! Happy Easter to you and yours!

Sharon Kwilter said...

You should finish the Sunny Lanes. It's a nice pattern. (I made it several years ago.) Your quilt is very bright and pretty.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! Your baby quilt is so very happy! Great finish!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Happy 9th blogiversary!!! That quilt looks like such a springy green!!! Happy Easter!!!

Preeti said...

This little quilt top is a Spring Celebration. Of course you and your blog are still here - you are a delight! Hope to see you soon.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is such a pretty quilt top, Mari! Looks like a perfect way to use up your string triangles, and I love the Cabbage green. It's pretty with your Sunny Lanes blocks, too! Happy Easter!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a happy quilt!! and I like cabbage - so the color name was for me haha!! What fun to play in such springy colors!!!
Hope you enjoyed your Easter hunt and ham!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to make a super sweet baby quilt, Mari, and Happy Blogiversary!

scraphappy said...

The cabbage is so bright and happy for spring. Such a fun design for a baby quilt. Congratulations on the flimsy

ButterZ said...

This is a lovely designed quilt. I love the design Mari.

Marie-Claude said...

Hello Mari,

Congratulations on the 9th anniversary of your blog. I have been reading it for a few years and you are one of my favourite bloggers. :-) I always look forward to your posts. (I know I’m 2 weeks late in my reading but I do catch up eventually!)

Marie-Claude

Susan said...

Another quilting inspiration, thank you so much. I love scrap quilts, and I definitely have the scraps to make them.