Friday, April 21, 2023

Setting the table

 Hello everyone! Is anyone else scratching out their eyes from all the pollen? I look like I've been crying for days. Several days this week, when I left work, my car had turned green because it was just covered in pollen dust. Then it became a very amusing game of "how do I get into the car without actually touching the car?" Spoiler alert: I lost that game.

This was a busy week, and I am behind on everything in my life, but I did manage to at least start a project that includes two small finishes this week. Take a look and then I'll explain:


You can see those cool houses, and also that I somehow never got around to taking out those azaleas last year. I really forgot about them until they started blooming this year. Oh, well!


Here's the story on the houses: have you seen the Rainbow Neighbourhood pattern by Sandra at mmmquilts? She is running a quilt along with this pattern over on her blog, and I knew as soon as I saw it that those fun houses would make great placemats. I know! I feel kind of bad that I thought that, because the two quilts she shows are adorable, but all I could think was "fun placemats."


To be fair, we eat outside a lot in the summer, and the houses make placemats in a great size for outdoors. I made two houses already, and I have an awesome purple one cut out, and I want to make an orange one, but I can't decide what will go with orange. I really need six placemats in all. The pattern has a ton of options for the houses-- different blocks for the side, different window configurations, a porch roof-- so I'm sure I'll be able to get six different fun placemats for our summer adventures.


I quilted these in pale yellow thread with straight-ish lines about an inch apart, which was probably too close. The backs are some brown/ gold fat quarters that actually make awesome backings. No clashing with the fabrics on the front! The pattern went together really easily and I was able to finish these off over a couple of afternoons. 

These finished off at just about 16 by 20, a nice generous size. And if you're thinking, "gosh, Mari, that's too big," take a look at how they are on the outdoor table:


Just the right size to keep all the food and utensils nice and clean! And away from the pollen, too. You can see that the table is glass, and things clatter a lot, too, plus I want to protect the table as much as I can.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and that the scratchy eye thing eases up soon. I might wash the car, but there's that "getting in without getting all gross" thing . . . I should just stay inside, right?

Sharing at Sandra's quilt along linkup, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or not Friday, and the Quilting, Patchwork, Applique linkup.

19 comments:

ButterZ said...

They are purpose made and fit the table perfectly. They are a beautiful design too.

Nancy in Indiana said...

They look adorable, and I think placemats are a great idea for these cute blocks!

Kate said...

Those houses do may really cute placements. What a fun idea to play along without making a full sized quilt. The pollen hasn't been as bad here this year thankfully. Hopefully you won't have many more days of high pollen.

Preeti said...

The azaleas are gorgeous. Thank goodness you forgot to uproot them. Insert eye roll here. Oh I remember the yellow floral print. Did we buy it together? Or I just gathered scraps from your sewing bin? The placemats are screaming picnic in the garden - well a very sophisticated garden picnic...pollen be damned. My car is a dirty yellow! UGH. Where is rain when you need it?

Sara said...

Such cute placemats. We haven't moved our deck furniture out yet as it has been too cold to sit outside - except for 3 days over a week ago that were in the 80s.

I'm thankful we don't get that much pollen that it coats the car. Ick!! My eyes are itchy and my nose runs as soon as things begin to turn green here too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

ha!! Super great placemats!!
and I am sorry about the pollens... what a pain
but I feel you in the behind in all areas of life. Breathe deep ( just not near the pollen) and stitch ( haha)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your placemats are just great, Mari! I think that's a really fun way to use the Rainbow Neighbourhood blocks. And your azaleas, too - beautiful color! Hope the allergy season gets better for you, though. Have a great weekend!

Sandra Walker said...

Even our dogs have ‘icky eyes’… Well these are just too cute! I love how you adapted the pattern to suit your needs. Now you’ve got me thinking about making house placemats! Never can have too many. Thanks so much for making these and for the shout-out!

Quiltdivajulie said...

FABULOUS placemats (mine for indoor use at 14 x 20 and that's because the drawer where they are stored in the dining room is 14" deep). Pollen is awful here, too. I am so glad my eye dr. suggested Pataday drops. They help SO much time time of year.

grammajudyb said...

Cute cute! Placemats for outdoor dining! What a concept! Wonder if I could get DH onboard with a new patio table and chairs! Sounds like fun to me! I’ll let you know how it goes. Have you priced patio furniture lately? And they are not even diamond encrusted!

Susan Smith said...

Lovely idea & I'm doing them too, but not as placemats, though I did have an idea for a fabric book. That's been canned & I've now done three & will reveal at the end what is happening with this quilt. Take care & hugs.

Unknown said...

Scratching my eyes and wheezing like an accordion. Teal goes great with orange. So does pink. Have fun with your houses! Anne

piecefulwendy said...

Oh my goodness, these are so fun! I love good-sized placemats, so I think the size is perfect. What goes with orange -- well, I'd go wild and add a little red (too much?? LOL) I'm sure you'll come up with something fun! No pollen issues here yet - we still have some snow falling :-(

Laura said...

Love the placemats! I don't think that they are too big at all! Super cute! The azaleas are so pretty! :)

MissPat said...

I'm happy to see the azalias again as I think I lamented your plan to remove them. I can't grow them because of the $&%#@ deer. Those placemats are great. I had to pass on the QAL because I've been away from home too much, but I love all the projects turning up using Sandra's pattern.
Pat

Bernie Kringel said...

The placemats are wonderful! A whole set will be so fun.
So sorry your allergies are making you crazy! That must be so miserable.
Washing the car.... I sure don't do that as often as I did in CA. Now it just seems to rain as soon as I have a clean car!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your houses block make perfect placemats! I hope your allergy will pass, the pollens too.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Using your beautiful houses for placemats is an awesome idea. They are a generous size so do work perfectly. How lovely is your garden too! No pollen here yet but it's coming...

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! These are just the perfect size and are a fabulous idea. How fun is this?!! I think I'm going to borrow your idea. My littles come to the "green" house (ours), go to the "gray" house (Gamma's), and then back to the "blue" house (theirs). How easy is that to interpret?!! Thanks so much for the cute idea. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne