Friday, September 22, 2023

Fast, fun, and bright

 Hi all! How was your week? I've had yet another doozy of a time. It's pretty obvious that we have some serious family stuff going on, but I keep trying to stitch a few things when I can. And this week one of the administrative people at school became a grandma for the first time, so how could I not stitch her up something really cute? Want to see? Here it is:


Isn't that adorable for a first time grandma? This is a variation of the Quick Strippie from Mary Quilts, a super fast and cute pattern that is suitable for any occasion. I just couldn't cut the fun alphabet print into smaller pieces. I wanted to keep as much of the alphabet together as I could and not cut the pieces too small. It's not the pattern, but I think it works.


I did not think to look at the selvage, and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and dig it out of the trash, but I've had this fun print for a while. Come to think of it, I've had all of my fabric for a while, including the lime green and the last bits of the purple that are also in the quilt.


This quilt is about 40 by 48, the perfect "play on the floor" size.  I used the last of the Hobbs Poly Down batting that I had and quilted it with the serpentine stitch. The Poly Down is really quite nice, very light and not at all like the old poly batting. I think it works pretty well for this type of quilt, too. Easy to wash when someone spits up on it.


The backing is also a fabric that I had for quite a while, from the Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric. I'm so happy to use this up, and it works as a nice backing here. And check out that striped binding! You know how you have a fabric for a while and you just get tired of seeing it in your stash? That's how I felt about these, and now I can forget about them because they are used up and happy in a quilt!

That's about all I've been able to accomplish lately. Things are weird, and my regular machine still isn't back from the repair person. I miss it, even though the backup machine is doing great. Should be finished this next week. I think they had to get a repair part from the moon or something. I hope the shipping isn't too much.


Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Tomorrow is my birthday and Mother Nature is giving me a tropical rainstorm. Won't that be fun? I hope it comes with pie. Brownies would be nice, too.

Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique.

21 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's an adorable quilt, Mari! So perfect for a grandma who will be cuddling her first grand baby. I love the ABC print! Happy Birthday - hope the weather holds off so you can do something fun - and that it comes with chocolate!

Danice G said...

Very fun and happy quilt. I agree, not cutting the alphabet fabric was a good choice.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Sara said...

Hope you have a terrific birthday! And hope that family issues calm down for you. That is an adorable quilt for a new baby. That fabric was just waiting patiently for the perfect occasion.

Claire said...

That's a cute quilt. Sometimes I too like to let the fabric do most of the work

Julie in GA said...

Adorable quilt! I love the alphabet fabric, and not cutting it into small pieces was the right choice.

MissPat said...

I've got some of that 'Very Hungry Caterpillar' fabric in my stash, too. Happy Birthday. I hope the wind and rain don't result in any power outages on your big day.
Pat

ButterZ said...

That’s a great quilt for a baby. Good on you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🥳

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday - mine is tomorrow too! nice quilt for the baby

Kate said...

Such a bright and happy baby quilt. I'm sure it will be well loved by both the new grandma and grandbaby. Happy birthday! Hopefully the tropical storm is short lived and you get your pie and brownies.

Laura said...

That is a very cute and colorful baby quilt!
Happy birthday to you! Have fun! :)

Bernie Kringel said...

What an adorable quilt Mari. I remember the ABC fabric and love it - also the dotted fabric on the back. Isn't it great when you can pull stash and make something so cohesive? It looks like you shopped for these fabrics all at once for a specific project, know what I mean?
Happy happy birthday my friend! Treat yourself well, whether it is rainy or not. Hope that part delivers quickly - not sure how fast service from moon to earth actually is. ;-)

piecefulwendy said...

Happy Birthday, Mari! I hope you can squeeze in some celebrating in the midst of all the family things. The quilt is so cute, and what a great way to use up those fabrics that have been in your stash! Striped binding, too - yay!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Mari - hope it was a good one despite whatever else is going on. This baby quilt is absolutely delightful!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cut quilt finish, Mari!

Kathleen said...

What a lovely quilt! Sorry for the family turmoil...but I do wish you a belated happy birthday and hope you can or did celebrate, even in some small way.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What an adorable quilt!
you will have the first earth sewing machine with a moon part haha!
Sorry about the drama - here's to better days ahead!

Unknown said...

Mari, there's not a one of us that doesn't have dreadful family issues, especially these days. I wish you the best, and a happy birthday. Hopefully next year will be a big celebration!! Anne

Cathy said...

That is such a bright and adorable quilt, Mari. (And who doesn’t have Family Things going on?!?) xoxo

grammajudyb said...

Love that cute baby quilt! Lime and purple are one of my favorite combs. Good use of the colorful happy Hungry Caterpillar dots and that “ to die for” striped binding. I can’t see Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric without special memories of my young great granddaughter “reading” it to her mom over the phone when she was gone on a business trip! “Priceless”!

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope there was pie, or brownies, or something yummy!

Preeti said...

It is indeed fast and fun and totally fabulous. The multicolored striped binding adds the perfect finishing touch. Big squishy hugs.