Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Full aqua hearts

 Hi everyone! How are you doing? I am getting a little better, but I still don't want to talk about it. I do appreciate the kind messages and comments, though, so thanks! I am really cheered by them, and by all the spring that is happening. We already had to cut the grass, after first getting all the sticks picked up. Danged trees! I do have some very happy news, though-- my sweet niece has had her baby! She had a cute little girl with a very old-fashioned name. I know she's very tiny, but I swear she looks just like her mama!

If you recall, my niece requested a baby quilt in 'aqua and gray and Harry Potter.' She got a lovely aqua heart full of love. Take a look:


It turned out almost exactly like it looked in my head. I feel like there is something 'off' about the heart, but I didn't have a pattern and I fussed with it enough. My niece loves it, and that's all that matters. As you can tell from all the wrinkles, I washed the quilt before I photographed it, because I was so excited that I forgot to take pictures first. Oh, well! I did iron it, but it didn't much help.


I couldn't bring myself to put gray on the back of a quilt for a baby, so instead I used these fun owls. If you know anything about Harry Potter, you'll know that owls are pretty important to the story, so I feel like they fit. And the quilt looks great on both sides, too.

But what about Harry Potter? Well, if you look very closely, you will find several things in the quilting, including:


A magic wand!



A Golden Snitch! (Which looks like baby Yoda, but oh well!)

And the part that made my poor niece cry. . .


"You are so loved."

There are several other things hidden in the quilting, but you get the idea. They aren't perfectly quilted, but they're meaningful to my niece and her husband, and that's what counts. All in all, it's a little unconventional, but the baby looks adorable on it, and she should be able to use it for quite a while, as it finished at just about 40 by 50. Can you get any better?

Hope you are having a good week! I'm getting better slowly, so I hope to see you again really soon. Take care!



Sharing at all the usual places. See sidebar for details!

Attention Baltimore quilters!

I was contacted by a lovely woman named Cindy who is the founder of Ryan's Case For Smiles, which makes and donates pillowcases for kids hospitalized for cancer. Sadly, the coordinator of the Baltimore chapter is retiring and they are looking for a new person to head this very active chapter. If you are interested, please contact dana (at) caseforsmiles (dot) org.
Thanks!

13 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

Super cute. Love all the hidden special details.

ButterZ said...

This is a very pretty quilt. I love the aqua and the owls. The quilting is very meaningful. Well done.

Nancy in Indiana said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt. I am so impressed with the Harry Potter quilting! Congratulations on your new niece and wishing you the very best - I really enjoy reading your blog. Sending hugs and support.

sue s said...

You've made that quilt so special! Hope you are better soon.

Sara said...

It's a very cute quilt for the new baby girl. The owls and the special items quilted into it are just perfect. I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep on improving!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your aqua heart quilt turned out wonderfully, Mari! The owls are perfect for the backing, too. Of course your niece loves it! Did you quilt in all those words yourself? Impressive!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree on the no gray - those owls are much better IMHO. And your quilted details - wow! Glad to hear the "little better" -- hang in there!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a wonderful quilt!! Gorgeous to begin with and filled with so many amazing things!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That was a neat idea to quilt in some Harry Potter touches. I agree, the owls are a better backing and are prominent in the Harry Potter stories. I have read all of the books.

Jeanna said...

You made just the sweetest and most meaningful baby quilt for your niece. I love when a quilt comes out of the dryer and it is all crinkly. I know some people, like my long-arm quilter, do not like that look...oh well. Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

Kate said...

Very cute! Incorporating Harry Potter into the quilting is such a fun idea. Hope you are continuing to feel better. Not feeling 100% is so frustrating.

Susie H said...

What a sweet, sweet quilt with so much sentiment involved. Your niece must be very special for so much love to be shared with her and the new baby. Great job, Mari. Hope you're feeling better.

Nann said...

What a charming quilt -- and the hidden messages are such fun surprises. Glad your health is improving.