Friday, March 11, 2022

Lacy yellow stars

 Hi all. How has your week been? Our weather is up and down, and we are staring down the possibility of a "bomb cyclone," because "snow, rain, and wind" just doesn't sound scary enough. The good news, though, is that snow, rain, and wind on the weekend means (say it with me)-- sewing time! I think the hubster is working this weekend, so I have a plan. . .

This week I made some Twinkle Stars for the yellow month of the RSC. They're almost the only thing that I sewed this week, but it's something, right? Here are the "yellow" stars:


Hey, those don't really look yellow, do they? If you recall, I'm making all of the inner stars yellow, and I knew I would have to figure out what to do for the yellow month. The only solution, of course, is to use my black prints. They're a little bit bumblebee- ish, but I like them.


These stars will be 9 inches finished and are made from Angela's tutorial from a few years ago. Now that I look at it again, though, she had colorful centers. I kind of like the white centers-- they're kind of lacy-- but what do you think? I'm thinking maybe I should go back and add centers to two of each set. That would make an interesting quilt, wouldn't it?

Since I didn't show off the aqua stars from last month, here they are as well:


Yes, I really like the constant yellow stars. These look so festive, don't they? Aqua is such a great color, and paired with yellow it always looks so happy.


So those are my stars! I was also working on the medallion, but didn't finish it yet. Wait till you see, though. Spoiler alert-- it's spectacular. 

Hope you all are doing really well as we slide into spring. How do I know we're sliding into spring? Look at this:


Those are the daffodils on the hill between our property and the county property right next to us. They'll be blooming soon, and I am so happy! The sun apparenty bleached out the stars, but I'll take sunshine any time, you know?

Have a wonderful weekend! You know what I'll be doing!

Sharing at Finished or Not Friday and soscrappy for RSC22.

18 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like your stars with the white centers. I didn't think of bumblebees at all when I saw the black with the yellow. I just thought how lovely they were. Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty star blocks

piecefulwendy said...

That is such a great block design, and I like the constant yellow!

Sara said...

Wonderful stars!! I love your idea to use those black prints. I have a drawer full of those, and they would work with any color wouldn't they? Happy stitching over the weekend. We'll be at a family wedding - no sewing time, but it will be fun anyway.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What great blocks
Hope you have your brownies and blankets ready and its a fast moving bomb? Crazy weather

Rebecca said...

How do you feel about embroidery in the center squares?
or
Plan on some quilting in a colored thread in each center blok?

Anonymous said...

These yellow stars are so pretty!

scraphappy said...

A bomb cyclone sounds like nature telling you to stay home and sew! The twinkle stars look fabulous with light centers. So many fun ways to mix it all up!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I actually really like the white centers of your blocks, Mari. SEW pretty!!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your yellow Twinkle Stars with white center. Great job!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That was the perfect solution for the yellow month Twinkle Stars, Mari! Those are such pretty stars. They'll make a beautiful quilt!

Ivani said...

Beautiful yellow stars, I like them as they are, so pretty.
Stay at home and sew. Have a great weekend, Mari.

quiltingbydawn said...

These stars are so beautiful! They really do Twinkle!

Dorothy L. Wills said...

I haven't seen that block before. Very nice.

LA Paylor said...

I just love your blocks. I should try them...

Jenny said...

Lovely star blocks, and you came up with a great solution this month. Nice to see the Spring is on it's way over in your part of the world. Its Autumn here now, but still lots of gorgeous days on our horizon.

Preeti said...

The yellow just pops. I am loving these lacy stars, Mari!!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

All beautiful blocks. Hugs