Thursday, March 31, 2022

As the medallion grows

 Hello all! Well, here we are at the last day of March. How did that happen? Where did the month go? I don't know, but it's certainly blowing out of here loudly today. The wind is quite something, and tonight we're supposed to get a huge storm. Out like a lion, indeed!

Good thing I got quilty pictures earlier today! I really wanted to get my RSC projects posted before the month is out, so I started with this one:
 
 
Yes, the medallion! I think it looks really awesome and is turning out even better than I thought it would. These are simple Birds in the Air blocks arranged in a cool pattern. It almost looks like a big star, doesn't it? At this point, it measures about 26 by 26. It's growing nicely, I think.
 
I was lucky to get this picture, because it really is windy, and I just managed to catch the top when the wind caught it and nearly blew the whole thing away:

 
And here's a bit of serendipity:
 
 
I didn't know when I did it, but the next color is pink, and there is pink in this golden yellow print. Sometimes you win.
 
I also, finally, finally, made a yellow scrap basket:
 

Whew! Those of you who have been here for a little while will remember that I made a bunch of scrap baskets in 2020, one for each color, but somehow I skipped yellow. It didn't get made last year, either, but this year was finally the time. It's more than half full, so hurray for finally having a place to put all those pieces. A tutorial for the baskets is right HERE.
 
Last thing was the yellow 4-patches for the Rainbow Blues quilt. You thought I forgot, didn't you? Nope, we are making tons of progress for a nice finish late this year.
 
 
And that is the yellow report for this month! I have a plan to make the yellow birds and the pink birds this weekend, so they'll make an appearance soon. Birds are more fun when they have friends, after all. 

Everyone have a good, dry weekend, and remember-- flowers are on the way! For proof, here is a flowering pear tree that I saw on one of my walks this week. 
 

Spring is busting out all over!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC22, Finished or not Friday, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique.

23 comments:

Astrid said...

Love your medallion, basket and blocks! All so bright and cheerful. Amazing pear tree in bloom, spring is in the air!

Preeti said...

The medallion is beautiful. Love the bright/mustardy yellow. Spring and Pink - I am ready for you both. See you soon.

Sara said...

Oh - that medallion quilt is going to be fabulous!! I love how it's growing with each color.

Kathy S. said...

The colors in your medallion quilt go great together. What beautiful blooms on that pear tree. Woohoo. Come on, spring.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful, beautiful finish!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, what a pretty addition to your medallion quilt! Your other yellow blocks look great too! We have warmer temps this week and lots of mud, but soon we will have flowers and green grass!

Deb A said...

Beautiful work with the yellows and what a great shot of the blooming tree. We are in for rain all day today... it does help to green things up. The medallion quilt is looking spectacular.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your medallion quilt is coming along beautifully, Mari! I love how you arranged the Birds in the Air blocks - they do create a star! Those yellow 16 patches are really appealing, too. Hope you didn't end up with too much of a storm. Those beautiful blooms on the tree deserve to last awhile longer!

grammajudyb said...

The medallion quilt is certainly growing. How big do you think it will be? That's a lot of bright 4X4 patches, a great addition to your quilt. Waiting on the birds! They will be cute!!!
We don't have flowing trees just yet, but the quaking aspen have budded out and the buds are fuzzy pussywillow looking! I need to get a photo to share before they are done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of sunny YELLOW progress, Mari. LOVE your new scrap basket!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the colors - very pretty! Hugs

sue s said...

What a great idea to do a medallion for the RSC! A finished top at the end of the year! I also love your yellow basket, and I've finally bookmarked the tutorial for all my strings. Currently they are stuffed into a couple of too small baskets.

JanineMarie said...

Those Birds in the Air blocks look so cool placed that way. I would never have noticed that that was what they were if you hadn't said so. Have fun with your yellow and pink birds this weekend!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your medallion is looking wonderful! great yellow projects!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

These Birds in the air are just fantastic, and yes indeed, they turn your pretty medallion into a beautiful star! Fun photos, and I hope the storm is not here yet.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

Jenny said...

Happy Spring looks like it is busting out all over in your neck of the woods, helped by your cheery sunny yellow blocks. The birds in the air blocks look great around your medallion, I had to look twice as I thought you were doing rows of piecing in the borders. But no, those cheeky bird blocks were doing it by themselves.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful medallion, beautiful blooming tree! And I love all the yellow blocks on the line.

LA Paylor said...

Hi Mari.... fun projects and gorgeous flowering tree... miss seeing those...

Marly said...

Lovely yellow blocks and your medallion is coming along nicely.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Them medallion is gorgeous - and you are right! those blocks make it look like a huge star! I am over the wind now too, it can just stop....
Love your yellow blocks - so Sunshiney!!

Kathleen said...

Beautiful medallion! I love seeing spring busting out...soon here but at least 2 more weeks until we see those blooms.

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful sunshiny medallion! Just what one needs in the winter gray.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Very impressive finish for March. Imagine completing blocks, bag and "blanket" in a singe month. Well done.