Friday, July 8, 2022

A circle of purple houses

 Hi all, and welcome to another summer weekend. It is the weekend, isn't it? I seem to have lost track of time this week. It has been a massive migraine-style headache week, for unknown reasons. Okay, it's probably a mix of Satan's own allergens and all the weather changes. And maybe I ate a little too much sugar. Who knows? I am feeling a little better now, though.
 
In between headache attacks, I managed to get the purple round put on my medallion quilt. I've been looking forward to this one, though I didn't know what color it would be until Angela told us. I'm glad that it's purple because it looks great this time around. Here it is so far:


Didn't I tell you that it looked good? I was concerned that I had chosen a purple that was too light, but now I think it's good because it's next to the dark blue and close to the dark green. This also took more of the purple than I thought, so I had to go with the piece that I had, too.


I call this block or unit "houses" because, well-- look at them. Don't they look like houses? They are super easy to make and this round went really fast. One reason it was so quick is that I used the diagonal seam tape from Cluck Cluck Sew to make all those stitch and flip corners. It really speeds things up when you don't have to draw lines! 


The houses are 3 inches finished, and the quilt itself is now about 54 inches square. With three rounds to go, it looks like this will finish right at 70 inches square, unless I change my mind about a block or leave out a color. Light blue could be an issue. I guess I could always switch the colors or the blocks around, right? We'll see how it goes.

Finally, I know we've talked a lot about the wildlife around here, and I definitely saw the foxes this week, and also plenty of squirrels and our buddy the hawk. (I think I love him. He's so majestic!) Of course there are the deer, too, and look who was out there this week when my head was in a bad place:


A mama and two fawns! The fawns were quite cute, running around and jumping, and they definitely cheered me up. I think they're chowing down on some wild strawberries, so no wonder they're so energetic!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I think more resting is in my future. I couldn't get in to the doctor until next Wednesday, so handfuls of ibuprofen are on the menu. The good news? Takeout is on the menu too! All weekend!

Sharing at Finished or not Friday, soscrappy for RSC22, the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique, and Oh Scrap!
 

18 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO sorry about the week of awful headaches - elder son had times like that in high school and college and I had them with my second pregnancy so I know how miserable it can be. The deer are marvelous - how great to watch the fawns frolic. AND I really like how your medallion top is progressing. Your house border adds a lot to the party.

Julie in GA said...

Your medallion quilt is looking fantastic! What a great idea to add a round each month in the RSC color. I think the lighter purple is perfect next to that deep blue, and I love the way your alternated the house blocks pointing in and out.
I hope you get some relief from the headaches very soon.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so very sorry about the migraines, and hope you get some relief from them soon. Those little fawns are delightful. Your quilt is really coming along nicely - it's so bright and pretty!

Sara said...

Hopefully that headache is gone for good! I love the houses in that lighter purple. It fits in very well. Those sweet little fawns made me smile. We haven't seen any fawns yet this summer which is unusual. But we have turkeys, deer, and the other morning I saw a possum waddle through the yard.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Migraines are so debilitating. I hope that you can rest up and get some help when you get into the doctor next week. The purple rounds looks great, and I love how the positioning of the houses in the corners makes it look like there are stars hiding behind the border, too. Take care!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the lighter shade of purple is perfect. Good choice!
I had migraines for 40 years and after 75 they went away, so getting older does have some benefits.

KaHolly said...

I’ve been getting debilitating migraines for 56 years, so I sympathize. After menopause, mine changed. They are more frequent, but less intense. Sumatriptan helps me a lot. They’ve been doing a lot of research these last few years. Hopefully, the dr. will be able to bring you some relief. I’m just loving your medallion quilt. It makes me want to make one, too! I participated in a round robin a few years back, and it was such fun. It reminds me of that experience. Enjoy your wildlife! It warms my heart to see your pictures.

Cathy said...

I’m so sorry to hear about your migraines. “Debilitating” was the word that came to mind (and from reading the other comments appears to be apt). I hope that research (and strong meds) can help cure or effectively treat them soon. In the meantime, your RSC medallion quilt is positively stunning! The lighter purple round is a great visual rest. I know it will finish up with a bang! Way to go, Mari!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The migraines sound crummy, Mari - I'm sorry you've been dealing with that this week. In spite of it, you sewed that fun purple border for this quilt, and it looks wonderful! Such a simple block, but what a great pattern it makes. Fun to see those fawns, too!

Quilter Kathy said...

A gorgeous medallion quilt in the making!
Thanks for sharing the delight of a deer family in your yard!

Jenny said...

I do hope your migraines are easing, I dont get them myself but have heard they are really awful. Your quilt top is amazing, well done!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! I hope the migraines have eased their hold on you. I get them when the barometric pressure has major changes. I can sympathize with you. Those purple houses seem to be the perfect touch. It will be fun to see where the next color inspires you. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

so sorry about the headaches...they can be awful! your medallion quilt is prettier with each round!

Preeti said...

Oh no, Mari. Headaches are horrible and migraines are the worst. And a migraine during the summer break is absolutely unfair. Not like you can take the day off. I am amazed at how you keep adding the perfect circle of blocks in the right rainbow color and the quilt top grows in beauty and size. I do hope orange is next...not that it matters to me. I have been pathetically behind in my RSC endeavors :-(

grammajudyb said...

I'm so impressed that you managed to sew while battling migraines! They can be awful and the recovery days or week and just wipe you out! (at least that is my experience)

I really like the light purple in the medallion quilt! Well done!

Susie H said...

Love the progress you've made on the medallion quilt. Hate the idea of suffering so much with migraines. I hope the doctor is able to help you out and that the week shapes up for you. Adorable deer family!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE those tumbling houses, Mari! Hate that you've been feeling crumby. :o((
Here's hoping the doctor had some solutions for your run-on headache!

Danice G said...

Oh, another gorgeous quilt! So pretty. I also love the green quilt you posted on the 30th June.