Friday, July 29, 2022

Little finishes

 Hi everyone! Has it been a good week for you? It has been okay here. I had a "playdate" of sorts with a quilty friend where we both rented longarm time at the same time and quilted away. It was fun-- and air conditioned, which we all know is vitally important right now. As I say every year, God bless Willis Carrier, and all his fellow engineers. Where would we be without him?

So, how many of you have small pieced bits of things kicking around the sewing room, just waiting to be quilted, but they never get there because there is always something better to work on? I see a lot of hands out there! I think we all have these, and this week I managed to get three of them quilted up at last:


Raining and gross again, so the pictures are a little off. Oh, well! Truth be told, these little things were very annoying to me, because I intended to quilt them for ages. I had quilty plans for all of them. They did not get done. I wanted to try new things with the walking foot on them. I did not do that. Then I took them to the longarmer with me, intending to stick them on the end of a quilt. This did not happen either.


Finally I just got tired of looking at them and spent a couple of hours using the walking foot and finishing them very simply, with cross hatching and straight lines. As always happens, this made me fall in love with them all over again. And now they're usable and cute and not annoying things I keep moving around and feeling bad about.


The smallest one might be my favorite, and I might hang it on the wall in my granddaughter's room. I'm hoping to turn her into a quilter, you know. The others will get used on tables, I think, and the largest of them might become a doll quilt. All better than laying around unloved.


So, crummy porch pictures, but three little finishes to celebrate noneltheless. Mostly scrappy, mostly useful, and prettier than their pictures. Plus a couple of pleasant hours finishing them off, so I'm counting that as three wins.
 
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! If you are on Twitter, be sure to check out #clearthelist. It's wishlists for school supplies from teachers all over the country. It's crazy how very basic some of their wishlists are, for things like crayons, pencils, and scissors, so if you can, drop a few things in the cart for a teacher. You can do a lot of good for $10! 

Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Brag About Your Beauties, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique.

11 comments:

Sara said...

It's always good to have finishes, even when they are small ones. Very cute little quilts. They'll brighten up the space where ever they land.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love finishing up small things like that, and those are all so cute, Mari! I love looking at how you made each block, too. Our school district has a foundation that runs a school supply drive in the summer, and has volunteers come in and "stuff the backpacks" that will then be delivered to the schools. I participated in that on Monday - we filled 1500 some backpacks! When I was teaching, I spent a lot of my own money on supplies for kids that didn't have any. It's so great that people around the country want to help with that!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on the finishes (large or small in this case). These are delightful! And as for the rain, we were blessed this morning with just over a half inch for the first time in almost 8 weeks so I will NOT complain about the gray skies or cooler temps since things were so desperately dry. Here's to a good week ahead!

ButterZ said...

good work to get some finishes. i am doing the same with 5 bindings done and quilting a friends quilt today that has been here for nearly 8 months

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely little finishes! Now they can be useful. And you can work on newer projects! At least 3 wins here, well done.

piecefulwendy said...

Pretty little finishes! It's always good to get them finished, isn't it? I need to do that again soon!

Bernie Kringel said...

These area ll so sweet Mari. Of all my projects, these sorts get finished first because they are simple. It is the big stuff that languishes. So pretty.

Ivani said...

Owo Mari they are so pretty, love those minis.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what fun finishes!!
and rain and heat... thats a bad combo!!!
Glad you had air conditioning on your Quilt date!

Susie H said...

I've been feeling pretty good too. I finished off two quilts and have two more prepped for quilting. Feels wonderful to get them cranked out, for sure. Your three look so pretty nestled in the gardens and to quilt them up with a friend? Priceless!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

How exciting to finish 3 quilts at once, well done! Lovely minis, they are pretty and the scenery looks good too!
Thank you for sharing your little beauties ❤️